DECO style effect

• I must confess I haven’t tried a Deco or even listened to many demos but have just looked at the Strymon website for some info.

It looks to me as if the KPA delays can already do most of that. However, I presume that the Deco’s secret sauce lies in the “always on” tape delay pre amp saturation effect. Maybe just adding an extra pre amp saturation control to the existing delays would be enough. Or, maybe ckemper could tell us how he would go about achieving those effects with the existing delay engines. I am always amazed at how he manages to create/replicate sounds in ingenious ways - presumably comes from his synth background.

• for preamp saturation style effects, eithre try the 'Grit' parameter in the delays, or put the delay before the STACK (Eddie did it) :)

I know both of those options but I’m thinking more of a simple pre amp type control within the effect rather than tie up an extra effect where people want to use the saturation effect but with delays/flanging after the stack. As you know some people used to use the Echoplex turned off just for the pre amp. I’m only thinking aloud on this one as it’s not something I really need but I think I can see where the OP is coming from.

• I know both of those options but I’m thinking more of a simple pre amp type control within the effect rather than tie up an extra effect where people want to use the saturation effect but with delays/flanging after the stack. As you know some people used to use the Echoplex turned off just for the pre amp. I’m only thinking aloud on this one as it’s not something I really need but I think I can see where the OP is coming from.

I think the Delay is more than adequate for the task - set to 100%, no delay time, no feedback, set Low and High Cut to what sounds like a tape to you and dial in the Grit. It even gives you control over tape flutter, add Modulation if desired.