Kemper stage: best way to connect an external tuner

• Kemper stage: best way to connect an external tuner

I am looking to use an external tuner (easier to quickly glance at) what is the best way to connect it?

When I went in front it makes a loud “click” or pop noise.

• I use a Shure GLDX16 wireless so my tuner is before the input. I have no issues with that.

I think you can also use an output and not use a return with it. That would feed the tuner all the time and you wouldn't get a return signal to create any noise. The downside with this is that you would not be muted while tuning. Other than that you may be able to use a loop at the beginning of your signal chain and use the send and return so you get muted tuning.

• I use a Shure GLDX16 wireless so my tuner is before the input. I have no issues with that.

I think you can also use an output and not use a return with it. That would feed the tuner all the time and you wouldn't get a return signal to create any noise. The downside with this is that you would not be muted while tuning. Other than that you may be able to use a loop at the beginning of your signal chain and use the send and return so you get muted tuning.

ah ha moment the tuner out from my line 6 G50…. Thanks

• Yes I do this too. I hate the built in tuner.

I have a little polytune mini gaff taped on top of the stage.

Use the Send output (I think it’s send 1) and in the output menu there is an option to route the analog guitar to this output.

Works a treat. - I have tuner available to me full time and it’s not in the audio path.

• I agree with using a polytune 3 or something similar in front of the kemper.

It's nice to step on the pedal, and it cuts your signal, and you can tune in quite.

Or you can always you the smaller version that clips on to the head of your guitar ?

• I use a Dunlop DVP4 volume (X) pedal in front of the Kemper input. I use its aux output connected to a Polytune 3 and set the tuner to always On. This way the guitar signal is not passing through the tuner, thus no possibility of pops or other noises.

• Why don't you guys like to use the built-in tuner? I can understand why not for setting intonation but for everyday tuning the kemper one seems fine to me.

for me a couple reasons ..

First it’s just not a nice tuner. Works fine, just not pleasant to look at or use.

Second I love the polytune mini.

Third I like to have tuner visible ALL the time and be able to tune when my volume is at zero.

Yes, the Kemper has the option for auto switching the tuner at zero - but that means it does it every single time my volume is at zero. For me that’s a real pain.. I put my volume to zero in rest breaks in the middle of songs and in between songs. So when I look down to make sure I’m in the right performance, the screen would be the tuner and not the normal screen. Big issue. So that leaves having to use the tuner foot switch and I just don’t like doing that.

• I call my Kemper bubble tuner "the bobble head" because the bubble bobbles all over the place. I think they need to put some kind of buffer in the next update to keep the bubble from being spasmatic.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I don't ;)

why exactly?

I personally do use it for intonation and I think it works just fine, but the common feeling by our fellow netizens is that it is best to use a good strobe tuner for that application....I don't get it, nor am I an expert, but I do know enough about human nature to appreciate that it's difficult to change folks minds on certain things, tuners for intonation being one ;)

• Right now I decided to spin it out of my line 6 wireless actually forget it had a tuner out…I can then click the tuner on the stage for silent… but the strong tuner is really bright, big and red… easy to see for a quick glance.

• I personally do use it for intonation and I think it works just fine, but the common feeling by our fellow netizens is that it is best to use a good strobe tuner for that application....I don't get it, nor am I an expert, but I do know enough about human nature to appreciate that it's difficult to change folks minds on certain things, tuners for intonation being one ;)

i use the Kemper tuner in Strobe mode all the time and can’t imagine going back to a bubble style.