For the Love Of God Can We Please Get Some Kind of Rig Management Tool?!

• Just wanted to bump this to the top - I think it's the most requested feature from everyone -

Sort by amp type, sort by gain,
    or some kind of software editor.

I don't care if it's made by Kemper or someone here on the forums, but it's absurd how Technologically advanced the Kemper is in all aspects besides organization.

Also I wanna spend a weekend with my buddy's amps and profile them, and share them, but the thing I'm dreading most is inputing each name and tag for each profile with just the knobs on the Kemper. Would be so much easier to do this with some kind of software after the fact.

Okay - rant over, love y'all

Evan

• As Sad as it is, the Rig Exchange provides the best way to TYPE data into all the fields. It is far easier to leave everything blank except the Rig name and make it something short like "A" or "1" then upload it to the Rig Exchange. From there it can be edited. Delete the original off the KPA and download the edited one. Its actually faster than twirling that knob endlessly while bent over looking at the little screen.

That's not a complement on the Rig Exchange....that's an indicator of how ridiculously long it takes to properly document a Rig from the KPA.

I am shocked that the programmers in this forum aren't hashing through the .kipr files to learn how to access and edit them. The guys in the other high tech gear forums have done great things with their favorite gear.

Also, while I am ranting....this forum software SUCKS for mobile users. We can type about 30 words then the curser position is lost with no way to continue typing...a total waste of time. It's VERY FRUSTRATING!

Btw, I love my KPA!

bd

• I am shocked that the programmers in this forum aren't hashing through the .kipr files to learn how to access and edit them. The guys in the other high tech gear forums have done great things with their favorite gear.

Because editing KIPR files has lead to a number of bricked KPA's, so no-one is willing to take that risk anymore. Otherwise it's already quite possible with a standard hex editor (but don't whatever you do attempt this).

• Because editing KIPR files has lead to a number of bricked KPA's, so no-one is willing to take that risk anymore. Otherwise it's already quite possible with a standard hex editor (but don't whatever you do attempt this).

Perhaps Kemper could tighten up their error handling a bit in future releases to make things a bit more robust. Alternately, an integrity check routine either on-board or as a pc utility used before transferring to the KPA would prevent bricking and allow forward progress by enthusiast looking to help out..

Also, the promised and long awaited MIDI NRPN documentation could possible allow a "live editor software" to change profile data from a connected computer via MIDI. We won't know until we see it....still waiting although I hear we are close to getting it.

bd

• I've already resigned to the fact that I simply have an ever-growing and very large folder on my desktop for non- auditioned profiles that aren't going anywhere until we get an editor.
    What a great problem to have though. I will likely be auditoning 2012 profiles in 2015!

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• A usable Rig/Profile management tool (librarian) is needed badly.

The truth might be - that cK&Co. did not forsee a tornado of very usable to great profiles coming at them.
    But as a matter of fact - it is what it is!

I have been thinking about uploading the profiles into my DMS system in my office and documenting them there. Any software with revision control capabilities will provide you with that functionality.
    Another way would be a DAM software - as long as it is not too focused on photographs and has text search & file name search functions

The pros:
    You won't touch the files. All info, commentary, what you used it for, bla bla can be kept away from the file, meanings "almost" no limitations within reasonable boundries.
    I could even use check in/check out procedures for the backup files.
    Huge search capabilities most as RCSs provide full text search

The cons:
    No "editing" of the file tags.
    No communication with the KPA (upload/download).
    The added information (documentation) will most likely be incompatible to other users profile databases.
    You are probably looking at at least one week of documentation, if you wanna do it right.

The alternatives:

flat file folder structures with telltale folder names, complex profile naming "systems", wait for ck&co to come up with a solution.

Looking at what is still missing (full midi, performance mode, external tag editing) and for how long it has been missing I do not see the kemper librarian coming soon. (no critique - only an estimate)

We who like/need/want it already have & use a Kemper. Further product development starting with delivering the missing features and making it a fully competitive product (midi pedal!), maybe even a rack version of the kpa or a dedicated power amp is needed more to keep the money coming and increase sales.

I have been on the other end (developing software) and I know for a fact how time and money consuming that can be, esp. if you want to meet a certain quality standard. Providing a librarian will not boost sales significantly. It's a "nice to have".

Christoph - I would love to receive an honest statement from you as far as if we can expect a profile management software/interface other than the rig-x soon. Please just a yes/no if that is on your list & if "yes" a realistic time frame for when to expect it. Even an honest "NO - not any time soon" would be helpful, because then, people, who are really interested or in need of it could start investing time&effort into alternatives. The uncertainty what to expect is difficult to handle.

Hendrik

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I'm not an expert, but considering that you can edit all the tags of a profile just uploading the .kipr file on a web page I think that... IT IS very simple to make a software tool :!:

Why they don't do it?
    Why they are so slow in updates (undo, perform mode, etc.) and new products and so poor in accessories? (an hard case, rack mount wings, pedal board, etc...)

I think that the possible reasons are:
    1) they sell so many KPA just like this that they do not feel the pressure to improve anything.
    2) they do not sell enough KPA in this period so they can't invest money in new accessories and improvements...

I'm just curious which one is true...

• I don't understand how hard it could be to at least sort rigs by amp type. It's already in the system, and pops up at the top of every profile.

I could have my JCM 800's in one place, and easily pick out the ones I need and don't need, and make browsing more streamlined.

• Christoph - I would love to receive an honest statement from you as far as if we can expect a profile management software/interface other than the rig-x soon. Please just a yes/no if that is on your list & if "yes" a realistic time frame for when to expect it. Even an honest "NO - not any time soon" would be helpful, because then, people, who are really interested or in need of it could start investing time&effort into alternatives. The uncertainty what to expect is difficult to handle.

Ive been looking for the same info...This IS essential. :!: :!: :!:

• +1 on that...

I also enter most of the data at upload and then re-download it the file. Still uncomfortable - but quicker then doing it on the Kemper.

For the Kemper- Amp I would love a programable key to delete a whole line or tag at once without entering the edit mode and
    hitting clear 20 times.

• + 1!

• I don't understand how hard it could be to at least sort rigs by amp type. It's already in the system, and pops up at the top of every profile.

I could have my JCM 800's in one place, and easily pick out the ones I need and don't need, and make browsing more streamlined.

I save my rigs with the "JCM800" in the name...my initials upfront.
    Then store a Snapshot.
    So, I have about twenty JCM800 rigs all in a row in the Snapshot section.
    Press "Quick", all my JCM800 rigs are ready to play.

If I go to a studio and the engineer/guitarist asks to check out a JCM800 rig, I press 'Quick', and he has 20 different JCM800 rigs to choose from, Profiles of about 5 different JCM800 amps.
    He usually picks one before I've scrolled halfway.