Can a Kemper replicate owning a collection of "base" amps?

• Just evaluating the free/paid profiles available is overwhelming!

With all the profiles available, you can make a career out of doing nothing but that. Or you can play guitar.

I'd recommend finding a few that cover the bases for you as quickly as possible. Then, once you have that done, you can focus on playing but periodically poke around to add new ones. In other words, don't wait to start enjoying the Kemper until you've explored all the profiles, or you'll be old and gray before you play your first note!

Now curious of what you bought in 73?

A $30 electric guitar (Kay, if memory serves) and a Sears Silvertone amp.

It did not sound like a Kemper. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Another example is that I use one of my favorite profiles and create 9 mores copies of it inside Kemper with varying degrees of Gain, EQ, and Effects.

I take a similar approach, but I also like to make copies with different cabs. I have a handful of cabs from various rigs that I've saved as presets, so when I find a profile I like, I'll make a few copies and drop in some of those cab presets into the copies. Works great for recording. For live, I have a different setup since I use a real guitar cab and turn the monitor cab off.

• But that can be a good thing not necessarily a bad thing. It's all about tone. The audience doesn't care what amp you are using or trying to sound like. They just want you to sound good. Heck, I don't even care what amp or profile you are using. Just make it sound good. Then, I might want to know to be able to copy you. ;)

This is so important.

The profile is the base and the start. The KPA can change those sounds beyond the capability of the original amp. Also most of the AMP behaviours are not designed in but by products of their construction. The KPA has the advantage ( I think) that the changes you make are linear rather than interactive so you have more control.

I don;t care if it mimics an ENGL in every turn of the dial. I care that the initial sound is great and I can make the changes I want without the idiosyncrasies of the original. Yes I might miss a sweet spot but in most cases its there, just requires different turns of the dial.