Hint (or not): Gullfoss vs. Pure Cabinet

• Hi Gullfoss users,

just mastering a metal album. Crappy mix, have to...fix... much things. Goth thanks there are plenty hyper modern tools that make it easy.

Now to the point:
    (can it be?) Gullfoss (VST) and Pure Cabinet do pretty much the same.

The Gullfoss EQ is a mastering tool to even out mixes (or even instruments but in mastering it shines) frequency wise without touching the dynamics to much. If I use to much Gullfoss on it (which I do often at first) heavy distorted guitars sound like Pure Cabinet to 10.

Discuss! I´m interested in opinions.

• I just watched a review on Gullfoss. I suppose you can accomplish the same but Pure Cabinet generally reduces the harsh frequencies of the guitar. If you need to do more that "and" to all the other instruments then you need to do master EQ, i.e. Gullfoss., or restart from scratch. ;)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I love Gullfoss and use it often, but am new to Kemper. My thought is...

Gullfoss is an EQ that provides that final 300+ band EQ driven by an algorithm, that gives a final EQ polish to a track. Gullfoss doesn't know what is playing through it, it's just sound. So it looks for those freqs that are offputting and tames them, or fundamentals that are missing and recovers them. That's my take at it anyway lol

Because the Kemper DOES know what is playing through it (guitar, acoustic, or bass), along with a profile that the input sound is running through, as well as a bunch of other parameter settings... Power Cabinet's algorithm theoretically could impact the sound much further than just an EQ.

My thoughts anyway reading about Power Cabinet without any practical experience yet 8o

Live From… Peace Frog’s Den features South Texas songwriters and musicians performing live original music from Peace Frog's Den's studio in San Antonio, Texas. All styles of music are welcome. Would love for you to check us out at https://bit.ly/livefrompfd.

• Somewhere over the forum there is a PDF with a very detailed and methodical test of each-and-every parameter on the kemper (its not kemper made, a user did this), and in the section for pure cabinet you can see how on the upper treble frequencies of the output, the peaks are smoothe out, the result as a more even curve on the treble, which helps with the characteristic problem mic frequencies. I havent used gullfoss, but frankly speaking, I dont use too many postproduction, and you can get a more desirable result if you know how to manually master any of your tracks according to the needs of the mix. For guitars I sometimes smooth the treble with a high band compressor, I get sibilance out of certain notes, specially when hearing solos. YMMV, but all post processing automated techniques have their shortcomings, as does pure cabinet on the end result (I dont like it for recording the guitar, just for playing on a FRFR speaker).

The answer is 42