Kemper sounds better connected directly to monitors than going via interface

• Hi all,

I used to have my Kemper connected to my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 via SPDIF and then my Yamaha HS5 connected to the Scarlett.

Recently I tried to connect the speakers directly to the Kemper and couldn't believe how much better it sounded. Fuller and rounder.

Has anyone else experienced that difference?

I wouldn't mind leaving the speakers plugged into the Kemper but then I cannot use them for anything else like Logic / listening to my recordings. Tried going interface into AUX Kemper but it sounded horrible.

Is this normal behavior? Would I maybe get a better experience not going via SPDIF? Do I have to calibrate the interface to the Kemper?

• An interface should not color your sound. Maybe you are hearing a difference in levels of the guitar signal since the interface has a gain knob.

There is the possibility that you could be going through two ADA conversions; one from the Kemper and the other from the interface when it's connected. Then only going through one ADA conversion with the interface bypassed. But this is way out of my league to know if that is happening or makes any difference.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Would I maybe get a better experience not going via SPDIF?

As another data point, I'd be interested in knowing how running analog out of the Kemper (L/R Main) to analog in on the Focusrite sounds in comparison to the other two scenarios.

I run L/R Main into two mic inputs on my mixer (Yamaha TF5, which also serves as the audio interface) and have always been happy with the sound. However, I've never done a comparison with straight into the monitors or SPDIF.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• the same as plugged direct to the speakers ?

My experience is that the analog out of the Kemper sounds extremely good

very good conversion, for me they sound better than the spdif out

• Hi Kaschko,

I have a Focusrite 6i6 and my set up has always been the Kemper into the 6i6 via S/PDIF with monitor speakers connected to the 6i6. I've never connected the Kemper direct to the speakers, as (like you) I use the speakers to listen to my PC audio via the 6i6 also - I therefore cannot comment re: whether there is any difference between the two set ups.

However, I'm confused re: your responses to BayouTexan. I think BT was suggesting that any comparison should be done at equal volume - my 6i6 has a volume control, so, in extremis, if it was turned all the way down and I compared the two set ups the Kemper direct to the speakers would sound better, simply because there would be no sound from the 6i6. The interface volume needs to be set accordingly to match the volume when going direct from the Kemper to the speakers.

Additionally, if you open the Focusrite control software, you should have the option to increase/decrease the S/PDIF level via the faders - independently of the Kemper. Again, I think BT was just suggesting you check that this is at 0 db and has not accidently been lowered. Although it probably is at 0 db if you've not accessed it before.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I'd be interested to know if I've been missing out by not going direct from Kemper to speakers.

• However, I'm confused re: your responses to BayouTexan. I think BT was suggesting that any comparison should be done at equal volume -

Hi! I think BT was not referring to output volume but input gain. I listen to the different connections at about the same dB in the room. But unlike the two front inputs of the Scarlett, the analog inputs in the back, as well as the SPDIF input, do not have gain knobs. You can adjust the output volume in the Focusrite Control program though.

• Okay guys, I ran a bigger test now. For those who don't have the time to read it all: I don't think there's much difference in sound after all.

I connected the Focusrite to the Kemper with both SPDIF and analog so I could go back on forth between the two sounds easily.

In the beginning, I set both SPDIF and Master outputs to 0db. As it turned out, the SPDIF output is about 4db louder than the analog Master. I played with lowering the db output of the SPDIF connection on my Focusrite by 4db and then I tried leaving it at 0 and instead turning down the main output of my Focusrite so both SPDIF and analog would have the same volume in the room.

There is a clear difference in sound when I lower the SPDIF db output on the Kemper by 4db. Probably because the focusrite has to work a little more and colors the sound?

But when I leave both outputs at 0db and match them with the master volume on my Focusrite, I don't hear much of a difference. Somehow I believe the analog sounds a bit clearer but it's possible I just imagine that because I find it easier to find the sweetspot volume-wise. ( digbob seem to confirm that the former might be true.)

I then connected the monitor speakers directly to the Kemper again. To match the volume to my interface test I had to adjust the Master output to -14,5db. The result: After all, I don't think there's a difference between plugging the monitors directly into the Kemper or going via interface.

I believe what happened inside my ears is that there is a volume sweet spot for the Yamaha HS5 speakers in my room and probably I hit it first when I went directly into the Kemper.

I found it easier to dial in my sounds when I connected analog since it's a less hot signal. I will just go analog from now on because I only have one long SPDIF cable anyway that I could use for reamping.

As Shakespeare said, much ado about nothing...

• Good to hear, man. My brain was telling me that there shouldn't really be a difference in quality, but the ears are what really matter. Your observations about volume and sweet spots certainly make sense.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I actually use two audio splitters so i can have the Kemper run through my monitors as well as use them with my interface simultaneously. It does sound best direct to monitors which sucks when I record... doesn't sound nearly as good. I'm thinking about just trying to mic the sound from a set of monitors and see if it sounds better than direct.

UPDATE: I just discovered that using spdif with the Git/Master mono setting did the trick... sounds amazing now when I record direct!

• I actually use two audio splitters so i can have the Kemper run through my monitors as well as use them with my interface simultaneously. It does sound best direct to monitors which sucks when I record... doesn't sound nearly as good. I'm thinking about just trying to mic the sound from a set of monitors and see if it sounds better than direct.

sounds like you are clipping the inputs of your audio interface. Make sure to use line-level inputs and set the output level of the Profiler to something around -12 dB to have enough headroom.

• Hey all! I just purchased the same Audio Interface, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3. Gen. I also am hearing noticeable difference between sounds over headphones directly through the Kemper HP vs. the Scarlett HP out. First and foremost it is much louder and clearer through the Kemper, sounds amazing. Through the Scarlett it sounds okayish, but too quiet and not as aggressive, slightly more compressed maybe.

I'm running the Scarlett over S/PDIF, I have the volume at 0.0db on the Kemper (so maxed for everything). Using Master Stereo for S/PDIF out. Tested with and without "Space". I've played with the sliders in the Software control of the Focusrite, but it only makes the sound worse.

Anyone got an idea why this is? Seems very similar to the issue Kaschko had.

• I'm thinking about just trying to mic the sound from a set of monitors and see if it sounds better than direct.

It won’t.

It is very difficult to properly mic a dual driver speaker (woofer and tweeter) as a single mic wont be in a good position for both drivers and multiple mics will likely result in some phase issues.

Forget the mic idea and focus on the interface as the source if the problems then methodically work through all the factors until you find the culprit. As Burkhard said, it sounds like you are clipping the inputs.

• Hey all! I just purchased the same Audio Interface, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3. Gen. I also am hearing noticeable difference between sounds over headphones directly through the Kemper HP vs. the Scarlett HP out. First and foremost it is much louder and clearer through the Kemper, sounds amazing. Through the Scarlett it sounds okayish, but too quiet and not as aggressive, slightly more compressed maybe.

what headphones are you running? It sounds like you may have an impedance mismatch where the headphones have too high a load for the interface’s headphone amp.