How to know input level is ok? No peak info and... Kemper as preamp?

• -12 dBFS is a good level. No need to record hotter than that.

You can increase the rig volume level if you absolutely want a louder output going into the Sonos. The Kemper will max out at +16 dBu. I do not know what input level equals 0 dBFS on the Sonos.

I recommend leaving the RIG VOLUME at 0dB

You mean AMPLIFIER volume, no...? I'd think RIG volume is intended for balancing rigs?

• -12 dBFS is a good level. No need to record hotter than that.

You can increase the rig volume level if you absolutely want a louder output going into the Sonos. The Kemper will max out at +16 dBu. I do not know what input level equals 0 dBFS on the Sonos.

You mean AMPLIFIER volume, no...? I'd think RIG volume is intended for balancing rigs?

Using a guitar preamp I can get much more volume to my sono or scarlett, I really dont get why a 1700euros monster like Kemper cant give as much volume output as I want. With the amp volume at max and monitor volume at max I get -6db. With my v-twin pedal used only as preamp I get +18db for sure.

• E.g.

I assume that 0.0db would be the same level as 0db on your meter in DAW which would leave no headroom and begin to clip. A recording level of (-12db to -6db) is ideal in DAW, and would correspond to the Kemper Output settings (as pictured above) to be set at (-12db) not at 0.0db. Can someone confirm this to be true?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I assume that 0.0db would be the same level as 0db on your meter in DAW which would leave no headroom and begin to clip. A recording level of (-12db to -6db) is ideal in DAW, and would correspond to the Kemper Output settings (as pictured above) to be set at (-12db) not at 0.0db. Can someone confirm this to be true?

No, that's not how it works. The pad in the Kemper is intended for live use, when you more often than not go into mic preamps on the console. When recording you more often than not go into an interface set to line level, and you should not need to attenuate the output of the Kemper.

Kemper's XLR outputs have 0 dBFS at +22 dBu. The jack outputs at +16 dBu.

Let's say the interface is calibrated to +18 dBu = 0 dBFS for line inputs. -10 dBFS inside the Kemper will then end up as -6 dBFS through the interface when using XLR outputs and -12 dBFS when using XLR's.

• No, that's not how it works. The pad in the Kemper is intended for live use, when you more often than not go into mic preamps on the console. When recording you more often than not go into an interface set to line level, and you should not need to attenuate the output of the Kemper.

Kemper's XLR outputs have 0 dBFS at +22 dBu. The jack outputs at +16 dBu.

Let's say the interface is calibrated to +18 dBu = 0 dBFS for line inputs. -10 dBFS inside the Kemper will then end up as -6 dBFS through the interface when using XLR outputs and -12 dBFS when using XLR's.

Have you seen the TV series LOST? Because I am now in it. =O

I have Kemper Main Outs using TS cables to my Interface. I have my Kemper main output volume level at -12db. If I raise it to max at 0.0db then my signal will clip inside my DAW... but then all I would have to do is lower the gain knobs on my interface to compensate to get the signal to fall back into the (-12db to -6db) recording range. Vice-versa on this if I lower main output level down to -66db (before infinity).

So what is the optimal main output db to go into DAW to get optimal tone, or is the optimal tone there no matter the signal strength?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Have you seen the TV series LOST? Because I am now in it. =O

I have Kemper Main Outs using TS cables to my Interface. I have my Kemper main output volume level at -12db. If I raise it to max at 0.0db then my signal will clip inside my DAW... but then all I would have to do is lower the gain knobs on my interface to compensate to get the signal to fall back into the (-12db to -6db) recording range. Vice-versa on this if I lower main output level down to -66db (before infinity).

So what is the optimal main output db to go into DAW to get optimal tone, or is the optimal tone there no matter the signal strength?

It's just a matter of analog gain staging. Avoiding unnecessary gain/attenuation. It's not a good idea to attenuate the Kemper's output...just to bring it back up by adding gain on the next stage (interface).

If possible, leave the Kemper output at 0 dB (no attenuation) and don't add gain (noise) at the interface.

• Using a guitar preamp I can get much more volume to my sono or scarlett, I really dont get why a 1700euros monster like Kemper cant give as much volume output as I want. With the amp volume at max and monitor volume at max I get -6db. With my v-twin pedal used only as preamp I get +18db for sure.

something is definitely off with your device. This is either a setting or a hardware fault. The levels you are getting are not normal. The Kemper has a very hot output than usually need to be tamed rather than boosted.

• Have you seen the TV series LOST? Because I am now in it. =O

something is definitely off with your device. This is either a setting or a hardware fault. The levels you are getting are not normal. The Kemper has a very hot output than usually need to be tamed rather than boosted.

I cant get it clip inside my DAW, so as Wheresthedug said there is sth wrong... if I make you a video with all the presets from input to output of the Rig Manager will sb be able to check it and see if everything is ok?

I have a very bad luck when buying sth new..it's 50% of times defective! I dont want to believe my new kemper is defective...I'll have to go a priest for an exorcism or sth

• Ok guys I used an xlr cable from Main output and the volume increased like 20db. This might be the normal I guess. But why does the volume decreases dramatically when I connect the kemper through a TRS cable?

• Ok guys I used an xlr cable from Main output and the volume increased like 20db. This might be the normal I guess. But why does the volume decreases dramatically when I connect the kemper through a TRS cable?

No, the XLR outputs are 6 dB hotter, and you are now likely hitting the mic preamp on your interface.

Unless you can actually chose line level for the XLR inputs on your interface, just use the TS outputs.

Both your interface and the Kemper has 0 dBFS at +16 dBu. Should be a perfect match. I see that your interface has gain control from -10 to +50 for line level. Sure you don't have it set to -10?

• No, the XLR outputs are 6 dB hotter, and you are now likely hitting the mic preamp on your interface.

Unless you can actually chose line level for the XLR inputs on your interface, just use the TS outputs.

Both your interface and the Kemper has 0 dBFS at +16 dBu. Should be a perfect match. I see that your interface has gain control from -10 to +50 for line level. Sure you don't have it set to -10?

Yes I use the line ins in my audio interface, with XLR I get much more volume than TRS cables.

Perfect match is to be at -18 to -12 db? My interface (audient sono) has gain controls from 0-10 in the manual it says:

The Gain controls allows to set the amount
    of input gain anywhere between 0 and 60dB
    which is more than enough for even the
    quietest of microphones.

I have it at 0. Where did you find that the range is from -10 to +50?

And for scarlett 2i2 it's from -4 - 46db

• It said -10 to +50 for line input on Audient's page. So when you have the knob at 0 you may in fact be attenuating 10 dB?

Edited once, last by Trazan ().

• I always go for the XLR connection if it is available. To me, a TRS connection is the second choice. I have had much better results with XLR connections both live and in the studio, not that I have had a lot of issues with TRS. I just prefer it and it seems to work better with XLR.

• It said -10 to +50 for line input on Audient's page. So when you have the knob at 0 you may in fact be attenuating 10 dB?

Ok I found it. It says mic gain 0-60 and Line gain -10 - 50db. Even like that I'll have +10db gain which will make it -8db at max. Which still is strange to me. The V-twin mesa preamp would peak the line input at its maximum volume.

• Ok I found it. It says mic gain 0-60 and Line gain -10 - 50db. Even like that I'll have +10db gain which will make it -8db at max. Which still is strange to me. The V-twin mesa preamp would peak the line input at its maximum volume.

No...minus 10 dB to plus 50 dB for your line inputs. Meaning you'd have to dial 10 dB up from that to get to 0 dB.

Or did you mean you did exactly that and got peaks at -8 dBFS? That would mean just 8 dB of headroom in both units, which is more than high enough...

You can't drag a guitar tube preamp into the equation 8) It's a very different thing. And it's not like higher voltage out = better quality.

• No...minus 10 dB to plus 50 dB for your line inputs. Meaning you'd have to dial 10 dB up from that to get to 0 dB.

Or did you mean you did exactly that and got peaks at -8 dBFS? That would mean just 8 dB of headroom in both units, which is more than high enough...

You can't drag a guitar tube preamp into the equation 8) It's a very different thing. And it's not like higher voltage out = better quality.

Yes this is what I mean with +10db from the preamp I get -8db with TRS cable.

Why not use XLR with line in?

• Yes this is what I mean with +10db from the preamp I get -8db with TRS cable.

I would use XLR. There is no TRS output on the KPA it is an unbalanced TS. It will still work with a TRS cable but you still don’t get the extra 6db gain or balanced signal for noise rejection. To get the same level from the TS output as XLR you would need to run your interface gain at +6 not 0.

• I would use XLR. There is no TRS output on the KPA it is an unbalanced TS. It will still work with a TRS cable but you still don’t get the extra 6db gain or balanced signal for noise rejection. To get the same level from the TS output as XLR you would need to run your interface gain at +6 not 0

Ok thank you man I think the problem is solved now:P

• Yes this is what I mean with +10db from the preamp I get -8db with TRS cable.

Can you use the XLR inputs at line level on that interface? If not, I'd just use TS cables. Or XLR to TRS cables if your interface has balanced jack inputs.