The Kemper Foot Controller: Evolution

• +1 on a time frame.

I just need to know what's coming so I can decide if I want the KFC or aftermarket.

Also, I'm not a fan of FX on the bottom - small design. If the smaller design is a must, let's get rid of the tap switch (use external momentary switch).

• I realize this was discussed in the first thread, but it seems whether large or small, the easiest solution would be to allow the user to assign the switch functions. Even if there were a handful (4-5) of "pre-programmed" switch layout options to choose from. You'd give up the colored quad LEDs, but it would be worth the trade off IMO.

• I realize this was discussed in the first thread, but it seems whether large or small, the easiest solution would be to allow the user to assign the switch functions. Even if there were a handful (4-5) of "pre-programmed" switch layout options to choose from. You'd give up the colored quad LEDs, but it would be worth the trade off IMO.

They make multi-color LED's

I don't understand why there needs to be 4 LEDs above a switch. Wouldn't it make more sense to use one multi-color LED, and then we could have the user assign-able buttons that would solve everyone's problems...

• They make multi-color LED's

I don't understand why there needs to be 4 LEDs above a switch. Wouldn't it make more sense to use one multi-color LED, and then we could have the user assign-able buttons that would solve everyone's problems...

CK's vision for the four leds is to have them show the on/off status and the FX type for two different FX per button. That feature could not be accomplished with one coloured led. See CK's first post on "The Proposal" thread:
    www.kemper-amps.com/forum/inde…ad&postID=32112#post32112

• I keep thinking, if CK had asked us in advance what the KPA should look like, maybe it would have come out totally different. Some people would be happy about it, others not. In the end I think his concept is great and very functional. Thats why I think I for one will just wait and let him do the floorboard he thinks is best.
    So CK, I'm with whatever you think is best. :thumbup:

• Speaking of the four leds for the FX buttons a question for CK:
    If I would assign two FXs to one FX button in "swappable mode" would I still be able to switch them both off or just switch between them? I imagine and guess it would be possible to turn also both of them off. One tap on the switch swaps the FX, two consecutive taps turns them both off (or alternatively you would rotate through "FX1, FX2, both off" with tapping).

The four led thing is quite a good idea!

• A somewhat perfect design would be the small version with first and second row swapped.
    It has been shown already in an earlier thread
    Wouldn't still fulfill the wish of the majority to have the rig change on first row.
    But Tap were on first row and rig buttons and bank buttons were close together.

finally! yes please!!!

still, maybe save these 2 cms somewhere to make a comfortable match for the existing namba-bag... :rolleyes:
    personally i'd also prefer tap/tune combined and extra looper, but at this stage i'd be willing to make compromises... :thumbup:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8557148/fotos/_transfer/temporary/KFC_5_2.jpg]

thanks for your efforts btw, we're all getting nuts here... 8|

• CK's vision for the four leds is to have them show the on/off status and the FX type for two different FX per button. That feature could not be accomplished with one coloured led. See CK's first post on "The Proposal" thread:
    www.kemper-amps.com/forum/inde…ad&postID=32112#post32112

IMO that's a mess. Now were going to turn off multiple effects with one switch? Isn't that what program changes are for...? If the buttons were user assignable we could avoid this whole dilemma.

My vote is to keep it simple.

• +1 for assignable buttons.

have no problem with the leds.do it as you want. it would also be okay when there is a "standard" way of use (e.g. first row for rigs, second for fx...). But with the chance to change the behavior of the buttons.
    I like the concept of the controler of the Marshall JVM410. you have 6 buttons and can assign them as you want. to get an other chanel, or to activate the fx loop... The problem is that it is, a Marshall. and a Kemper is EVERYTHING.

• I want the version that ships soonest. I'll adjust to it.

• A somewhat perfect design would be the small version with first and second row swapped.

This would make it for a lot of fully grown male individuals™ (including me) completely useless.

Anyway, live is no Wunschkonzert. It would be very nice if you could tell us the final decision very soon, because I need to know if it is worth waiting or go for a Liquid Foot or Ground Control.

• Anyway, live is no Wunschkonzert. It would be very nice if you could tell us the final decision very soon, because I need to know if it is worth waiting or go for a Liquid Foot or Ground Control.

I think it's always best to match the unit with it's dedicated controller,(KPA + it's own foot controller, Axe+MFC etc) especially for things like the tuner, and certain things that are unique to these devices, but you can't go wrong with the Liquid Foot..i spent a lot of time researching everything they do, and it's very impressive, I assume Mr Kemper is aware of them and what they can do, and also the MFC, and hopefully will implement the best of all these units into it's own dedicated controller.

• Sorry, I have the exact opposite opinion. ;)
    It's better to improve the software of the KPA to use it with any
    footcontroler we want by using standard MIDI interface, good usability,
    and good documentation, instead of making a too specific footcontroler.
    The results of the poll about the CK proposal is: 50% want the small controler proposed by CK, 50% want the bigger one...
    There are also several other proposals!

Nobody have the same needs, the same money, etc.
    At present, the MIDI possibilities given by the KPA are weak compared to older racks effects or MIDI gears.
    With better MIDI interface everybody could take the better of the KPA for their job and choose the footcontroller, footswitches... they want.

• I agree with what you're saying about improving the software as much as possible, I have an MFC and would like to use it and get the most of it with the KPA, but there will be things that will never work, I doubt Mr Kemper will work very hard to make KPA tuner show up on the MFC.. :) But you never know I'd like to be proven wrong.

It's better to improve the software of the KPA to use it with any footcontroler we want by using standard MIDI interface, good usability, and good documentation

In a perfect world, we'd have both: an excellent Kemper-specific footcontroller, and improved firmware to make things easier for DIY'er's and those of us with generic MIDI controllers. I'd really like to see more CC targets, and (I know I keep going on about this but...) the ability to toggle stomps and FX with PC messages as well as CC messages.