What about a "Kemper Mic"

• Looking on the Philosophy of kemper to provide solutions in a very creative and convenient way, I am wondering whats next in terms of "getting closer". We already have a terribly accurate speaker imprinting tech, and competition is already on the turf, so....

When looking to the profiling process, this would be chain for processing the signal:

Test signal(kemper) > Amp > Speaker > Mic > (kemper)

The kemper knows the test signal and thus can emulate the result of {Amp+Speaker+Mic} with the profiling algorythm.

With direct you get to separate the {Amp} from the {Speaker + Mic}

I know mic placement would be the last variable that kemper can not calculate, but technically, if you create a "kemper" mic with a very defined response curve (kinda difficult but not so much considering how consistent are the batches of SM57 I have had before), you technically have no variable left. Heck, you can even aproximate room response with the same mic. The algorythmn for estimating the effect from the mic would take a while to get right, but it is very possible with the right equipment (high end test heads for HiFi equipment already do this).

If done, we would have the holy grial of amp duplication: an AMP button, a CAB button, and a final MIC button, where all can be turned ON/OFF, having the most accurate repressentation ever, hearing the amp without the mic, AND maybe using MIC IMPRINTS. This for me would be the end-game for kemper.

It is a feature request but not really, as I know this might be too much hard work, but hey, if they make it one day, I would be very impressed, and very very very happy.

PD: Lets be real, pure cabinet is nice, but it doesnt cut it.

The answer is 42

Edited once, last by Alfahdj ().

• I am rather in for Kemper Pickup that translates the guitar used for profiling better. I always wonder why not a single profile sounds the same with my gear. Maybe it is mainly the speakers used but knowing that the signal chain to the output section is the same would be a giant leap. Anything else then is adaption to the amplyfing territory. But that is only me.

• Something like Slate's modeling mic or Antelope's Edge Duo? There are already solutions like this on the market.

it is not the intended target, modeling mics exist, this is more like the Kone, a blank slate where the kemper can sculp frequencies on detail to achieve the "imprinting" (or modeling, however you call it) of several mics, but also substract the influence of the mic to get the most accurate amp-to-ear comparable sound (which is the supposed purpose of the pure cab setting). You could always use a modeling mic with the kemper, but once profiled you are stuck with the result. BUT with a Kemper mic, you could technically change mic config after the profile is done, and sincerily, removing the mic influence in the frequency response would have for me the most interesting result, for recording and performing.

The answer is 42

• I am rather in for Kemper Pickup that translates the guitar used for profiling better. I always wonder why not a single profile sounds the same with my gear. Maybe it is mainly the speakers used but knowing that the signal chain to the output section is the same would be a giant leap. Anything else Themis adaption to the amplyfing territory. But that is only me.

Variac guitars are the closest to this we have, they are really cool but they dont end up convincing, there is always something really off. If you put that processing power into the kemper, Maybe you cuould end up with a cool result. Maybe one day the ultimate kemper setup would be all kemper to have an accurate access to the most versatile rig in the planet.

The answer is 42

• Variac guitars are the closest to this we have, they are really cool but they dont end up convincing, there is always something really off. If you put that processing power into the kemper, Maybe you cuould end up with a cool result. Maybe one day the ultimate kemper setup would be all kemper to have an accurate access to the most versatile rig in the planet.

I still want a real pickup but maybe it is possible to get a kind of flat one where Kemper knows the „EQ-Gain-Curve“ and therefore can compensate like with the Kone but from the beginning of the signal chain. Want an EMG81 no problem, want the neutral thing no problem, want a PAF no problem… also once splitting the humbucker they can imitate different single coils (Häussel, Kloppmann, …) then. Might be cool …

• Interesting concept - by making the mic a "known," you could conceivably add another level of separation. My guess is that variations in mic placement, room acoustics, preamps, cables, etc. would make this pretty difficult or impossible to implement though. But who knows! Kemper did something I thought was impossible (profiling) before I saw it in action.

• Interesting concept - by making the mic a "known," you could conceivably add another level of separation. My guess is that variations in mic placement, room acoustics, preamps, cables, etc. would make this pretty difficult or impossible to implement though. But who knows! Kemper did something I thought was impossible (profiling) before I saw it in action.

I come from a world where people believe it is justifiable to pay for cables with prices as high as a kemper kabinet. Really in the grand scheme of things, cables are negligible. Preamps would be part of the "mic" section, and finally, room acoustics is the last piece of the puzzle, together with mic placement. Thats how I see it anyway.

The answer is 42

• Interesting request!

Personally I have so many other tone sculpting options that it would be another thing for me to get confused on BUT if it results in better sound then sounds good.

Conversely, I like the end to end mimic that is a simple process without having to necessarily understand the chain involved.