Pots working erratically. Would Deoxit fix the problem?

• Hey, my Kemper unit is going on eight years and two of the pots have started behaving erratically.

The problem has been there for a long time, and they are still working, but the values jump from place to place and sometimes they move backwards instead of the direction I am turning the pots in.

Would a spray of deoxit on the pots work to fix this problem? Or do I have to send the unit for a non-warranty repair?

Hoping someone from Kemper, such as Kemper Support #1, Burkhard or DonPetersen can give me some advice on whether I should or shouldn't try deoxit.

I can make a video if that helps to demonstrate the problem. As mentioned, the pots are working, they are just moving erratically.

• These pots seem to be defective. The spray might not improve the situation. And we don't imagine a way to get the spray to the right spot.

Please open a support ticket to initiate repair.

• Deoxit is usually only a temporary fix when it does work. The issue comes back. It is usually better to just change the pot. I am sure with a Kemper this is going to be a much more involved fix.

• Would love to see a quick video. Don't love how my pots work but I'm not sure how bad it is compared to others.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• All mechancal parts have wear over time, in the case of the encoder, it might be dirt or wear which is interfering with the direction or type track of the encoder, giving missinformation on the reading (skipping from one place to the other, changing directions sudenly, etc. ) . Contact cleaner might help if its dirt, but as an enclosed piece, the dirt will regroup and bring more problems. Temporary fix maybe, but if the problem is rust or wear, you are screwed as removing rust will still leave a damaged or weak track, and wear is a non return ticket for the component health. Also last time I saw the board on my kemper, the pots are tightly sealed, thats why contact cleaner might not even make it inside.

Sad this happened, but it might be better idea to send it for exchange. In any case I can testify on kemper team being efficient and supportive in any case of repair, an also not expensive at all.

The answer is 42

• So what pot do you exactly mean ?

By the way never ever use any chemical or any mechanical cleaner on digital sensors.

More about encoders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder

Can’t imagine that there is a analog potentiometer used in any way.

Mechanical encoders has contacts points and chemical cleaner can fix them.

• Mechanical encoders has contacts points and chemical cleaner can fix them.

Rotari encoders are also optical or magnets with hall sensors.

Anyway , you have to disassemble the device

To fix this, if you spray deoxid from outside into the axis you can damage the LCD or any other electronic, it is better to replace the encoder because they are not that expensive.

Be the force with you ;)