My 4th Mix - something like Country/Southern Rock but who cares.

• I think this one is a marked improvement from my first two mixes, and it's in a genre I don't really play. I tried to separate the instruments as best I can thus far. I boosted the the top end of the overall mix but think maybe I did too much? Critique away the mix part (not my playing please ;)). Chris Duncan

I fixed my bass Franjoe30 . I even added more Cowbell! :P

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• As Chris Duncan said... you're improving... very good. It all comes with practice, feedback from others and good advice, Nice to see that you're so into it, having fun with it. That's what it should be about. Well done for this one :thumbup:8)

Sounds great and a definite improvement to my ears. What did you use for the drums? are they programed?

• Sounds great and a definite improvement to my ears. What did you use for the drums? are they programed?

I used SD3 and made my own fills one note at a time. Then I randomized the individual notes velocities myself on the fills and grooves to get that "human" feel. I did this across 4 bars instead of just 2 of them. Then it was just copy and paste. I don't think the automatic randomizer thingy in SD3 is as convincing.

• Mix has good clarity and separation on all instruments. Good advice I always manage to forget is just go and listen to tracks you’re trying to emulate and then try to match their mix and sounds.

I think you want the guitar chord stabs to have more energy in which case less is more, so that means less of everything behind them too. Drop out the unnecessary drums except on where you want accents, drop out bass, drop out anything else, let the guitar be loud and proud!

• Mix has good clarity and separation on all instruments. Good advice I always manage to forget is just go and listen to tracks you’re trying to emulate and then try to match their mix and sounds.

I think you want the guitar chord stabs to have more energy in which case less is more, so that means less of everything behind them too. Drop out the unnecessary drums except on where you want accents, drop out bass, drop out anything else, let the guitar be loud and proud!

I think I am putting myself at a disadvantage since I play and record singing the lyrics in my head, and I kind of hear the playback that way. I really won't know how the mix works until vocals get tracked in... and my voice would destroy the song. I need that last puzzle piece though. One day...

• I like this tune but I do have a suggestion for the drums as you use SD3.

There's a library of drum grooves and fills included in SD3. This library has a great search function where you play the basic groove you want and then SD3 suggest grooves that will fit your general idea and fills to go with it.

Cheers,

Mats N