using a usb stick for making and playing sets

• I have a couple of hundred rigs to choose from in my powered head. But is it possible to put a certain amount of rigs, needed for a gig, on an usb-stick and play from there? I mean, after backing up and then deleting all rigs in the profiler, just use that stick for a gig, and having another usb-stick with other rigs ready for a second band you also play in...?

Or can you leave all your rigs right where they are in the profiler and just have to switch to any inserted usb stick with carefully chosen rigs on it and play just them all from there?

Note: in both cases , my midi controller needs to know where to choose midi assigned numbers from....

• This is where Kemper really lets itself down and things like Helix are 100 times better. Kemper have put little thought into people using it live and for multiple things… how great would it be if you could have a basic thing like a folder structure for rigs and performances on the unit itself. And be able to edit the order quickly and easily on the unit.

You could do what you’re saying by copying off a USB stick, but only for Rigs - not Performances (another huge flaw).

• This is where Kemper really lets itself down and things like Helix are 100 times better. Kemper have put little thought into people using it live and for multiple things… how great would it be if you could have a basic thing like a folder structure for rigs and performances on the unit itself. And be able to edit the order quickly and easily on the unit.

You could do what you’re saying by copying off a USB stick, but only for Rigs - not Performances (another huge flaw).

Everyone has an opinion. Using terms like “100 times better” and “Huge flaw” are just annoying.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Everyone has an opinion. Using terms like “100 times better” and “Huge flaw” are just annoying.

and thanks for yours ?

to me, not being able to manage performances / set lists / etc without the aid of a computer is indeed a massive flaw. Particularly given the system and software has been around for 10+ years.. would have though this would be possible by now.

Maybe not a big deal to you, and that’s ok.

I mention Helix because it would be great if the kemper software developers actually looked at what other (newer systems) are doing and maybe get some ideas on how things could be done better with respect to the user experience. I love Kemper so far - but the workflow and user interfaces leave a lot to be desired.

• We’ll….you can manage performances on the unit.

Use it all the time in rehearsal.

and it’s super clunky.
    how might you do that for multiple bands, multiple sets.. without a computer. 128 performances is not a lot. I don’t understand why you can’t at least move performances back and forth via USB.

And the OP uses MIDI.

Again just take a look at how helix as an example manages this in both setlists, folders, midi assignment, manipulation and moving things around etc and you’ll see why Kemper is so far behind in this particular regard.

• Behind? Pfft.

The editor wasn’t introduced until December 2019.

Kemper has proven time and again that they dance to their own beat.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Is organizing Rigs and Performances in folders on the front panel (PROFILER Stage on the floor?) really practical and efficient? Especially if you deal with big numbers, if - as mentioned - 125 Performances are not sufficient?

I would organize my Performances in folders in Rig Manager and set up different backups for each band, which do include Performances in line with set lists, but also input and output routing in line with each band's technical environment. Then before a gig just restore the corresponding backup.

• Is organizing Rigs and Performances in folders on the front panel (PROFILER Stage on the floor?) really practical and efficient? Especially if you deal with big numbers, if - as mentioned - 125 Performances are not sufficient?

I would organize my Performances in folders in Rig Manager and set up different backups for each band, which do include Performances in line with set lists, but also input and output routing in line with each band's technical environment. Then before a gig just restore the corresponding backup.

burkard

With respect that doesn’t solve all requirements. I do appreciate that does work in some situations and would work for some things.

Without speaking on behalf of the OP or risking taking off topic - a missing core function is the simple ability to move performances on and off using a USB stick.

I really need to be able to copy (back up) performances without rig manager after I’ve made tweaks at a show. Performing a Full backup is too cumbersome (takes way too long), doesn’t allow me to bring the USB home and load up those backed up performances onto my computer, and doesn’t allow me to restore individual performances to the Stage should I want to.

This would be a great start.

• Exporting a Performance to USB flash drive is logically relatively simple, but importing Performances opens a few logical challenges.

Different than Rigs and presets, Performances have their fixed locations. If you import a Performance, you need to take a decision to which of the 125 locations. Think of it as a setlist. At that time you might want to know, if that location is already occupied and by which Performance or just by a default "New Performance" instead. Otherwise you could unintentionally overwrite another relevant Performance. Importing a bunch of Performances this way via front panel is not necessarily an effective process. Rig Manager provides the required line of sight.

Restoring a complete setlist of 125 Performances is not necessarily much faster than restoring a complete backup, which includes other relevant settings like locking and input/output routing.

• Performing a Full backup is too cumbersome (takes way too long), doesn’t allow me to bring the USB home and load up those backed up performances onto my computer, and doesn’t allow me to restore individual performances to the Stage should I want to.

you can mount the Profiler backup in Rig Manager and access each of the performances in that backup to either modify them further or copy them to folders in your local library.

• Exporting a Performance to USB flash drive is logically relatively simple, but importing Performances opens a few logical challenges.

Exporting would be a good start. Importing I think is quite do-able. Select, prompt for which Perf Location to send to (displaying the current Perf Location names in a list), and have a confirmation if you're importing to a location that already had a valid performance.

• This just goes to show how wide of a variety of people use a Kemper. I can't even imagine 5 rigs across 125 performances not being enough for anyone. I don't use that many different tones in one gig. That is 625 rigs in the unit at one time. If all of those were for one specific song that would mean that you are playing a huge number of songs across multiple bands.

A typical night for me is around 45 to 60 songs (50 song average) depending on the length of the gig and length of the songs. That capacity of the Kemper would cover me playing in about 12 bands with unique song lists that don't use the same tone. This seems crazy to me. I can get through a night with 5 rigs. I could probably do multiple bands with 10 rigs and be very successful with that. So for me, what the Kemper will store is probably every rig I will ever have and I probably still won't fill all of the slots.

• Exporting would be a good start. Importing I think is quite do-able. Select, prompt for which Perf Location to send to (displaying the current Perf Location names in a list), and have a confirmation if you're importing to a location that already had a valid performance.

Importing 125 Performances would be a time consuming process! Every time you import the next Performance you have to decide on which location. I am not able to remember whether I imported Performance "Little Wing" on 36 or 37 or perhapst at postition 89.

I think we will find many themes in the forum "Bug: Import overwrote my Performance 89. It happened after Update to firmware 9.8.1.1"

• Importing 125 Performances would be a time consuming process! Every time you import the next Performance you have to decide on which location. I am not able to remember whether I imported Performance "Little Wing" on 36 or 37 or perhapst at postition 89.

I think we will find many themes in the forum "Bug: Import overwrote my Performance 89. It happened after Update to firmware 9.8.1.1"

I don’t disagree :)

But at least having the option. Sure, the chance of copying lots of performances is unlikely… but a small number..

• This just goes to show how wide of a variety of people use a Kemper.

absolutely :)

For me, I do theatre shows. Every piece of music is it’s own performance (regardless if that performance has only one rig slot used or all 5).. so that could be say 35-40 odd performances for one show.
    They’re sequential and just keep hitting “up”. Basically every time there’s a sound change, I’m pressing either a slot or the performance up button and the change is marked in the chart.
    The same rig sounds would keep re-appearing many times- it’s not like every single slot of every performance is totally unique. But having every sound change as it’s own slot means they can be tweaked if necessary (particularly level) to avoid riding the volume pedal and so the sounds are 100% consistent night after night.

Edited once, last by floyd99 ().

• absolutely :)

For me, I do theatre shows. Every piece of music is it’s own performance (regardless if that performance has only one rig slot used or all 5).. so that could be say 35-40 odd performances for one show.
    They’re sequential and just keep hitting “up”. Basically every time there’s a sound change, I’m pressing either a slot or the performance up button and the change is marked in the chart.
    The same rig sounds would keep re-appearing many times- it’s not like every single slot of every performance is totally unique. But having every sound change as it’s own slot means they can be tweaked if necessary (particularly level) to avoid riding the volume pedal and so the sounds are 100% consistent night after night.

I wonder if you could use something like Band Helper and use the MIDI along with your setlist to switch your rigs. That way you wouldn't have any empty rig slots in your performances and would not have to store the same rig multiple times across multiple performances. Seems like something that switches the rigs using MIDI may be a good option for what you are doing.

• That's what I and many others do.

I use a wireless blutooth MIDI adapter plugged into my PROFILER. And when I change a song in Bandhelper it loads the corresponding Performance via MIDI independent of its Performance location. My band mates share set-lists for concerts within Bandhelper. During the concert I just load the next song according to tha active set-list in Bandhelper and the PROFILER jumps to the corresponding Performance. I never reshuffle Performances.