A decent Tuner Display

• Yeah.... But most of us tune also on stage, in mute mode, with the guitar the was 3h under stagelights..... It would be helpful to know if you have to go up or down instead of trying both for each string....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• As guitarists we're meant to know when we're hopelessly out of tune, nowhere near not even close...that's when the bubble disappears. :D
    If the bubble could speak it would say, "are you frikken nuts, can't you hear you're miles out". ;)

Let's think about this...How would the KPA know high from low when out of range. A "too low" G string is in the same pitch range as a "too high D". The tuner has no clue what string you are tuning. Roland has the only tuner that knows each string on their VG gear because their hex GK pickup is six mini humbuckers, one under each string sending its own signal.

Perhaps a button to take it out of autorange and select a string would allow a low/high indicator?

bd

• i'm not too fond of 'the bubble' either:

1. although the bar is almost as wide as the display, it only tracks when it's close to the center 'in tune' range

2. it looks too unscientific/playful for an otherwise high-tech instrument

• A "too low" G string is in the same pitch range as a "too high D". The tuner has no clue what string you are tuning.

Hm, why would it have to know?? As long as I know (and as long as I am on stage with less than five beers in my head I still do ;) ) everything's fine. So if the tuner jumps to e.g. "F#" and I just plucked a G String I know that the problem here is a too low G and not a too high D string.

But maybe I just misunderstood your point!?

Cheers,
    Markus

• The bubble should never dissapear. If for whatever reason you have to rely on quiet tuning you need some info. Either the bubble is far on the right side of F# or it is far on the left side of G. But nothing is no info. And that's no good. On the display there is space enough before the bubble dissapears - so why should it? If you need exact quartertone tuning it is even more important to have this info.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Seeing as we are spitballing about the tuner I'd like to see the bubble turn black when it's between the lines. That would make the "in tune" visible from miles away with even the worst of beer goggles (meaning poor vision, whether genetic or alcohol induced).

• Hm, why would it have to know?? As long as I know (and as long as I am on stage with less than five beers in my head I still do ;) ) everything's fine. So if the tuner jumps to e.g. "F#" and I just plucked a G String I know that the problem here is a too low G and not a too high D string.

But maybe I just misunderstood your point!?

Cheers,
    Markus

Markus, good point. The dead zone is the real problem. If you are far away and only watching the large bubble, that's an issue. If you can see the the note, that's enough to figure it out. With dead zones between autoranging notes you have to keep tuning up or down to the next half step to find out where the pitch is. Not a big deal for me. Besides, broken strings should be repaired on break. Backup axes are always the best option.

bd

• Hi Guys I just realized yesterday :whistling: evening that the leds on the tuner knob , are actually a real time tuner, you don't really need to go in the tuner menu 8|

The led is yellow when your string is in tune , green (left when too low , right when too high , or the opposite, cannot remember ... Try with single open strings.

Maybe this will also solve dead zone problems ??

We learn each day with this gear !!!