from rhythm to lead

• I'm looking for a right and useful way to use the same chosen amplifier in my Powered Head for rhythm and just much louder for lead.

Adding gain ends in much distortion, increasing volume in AMPLIFIER is being not recommended, increasing VOLUME beyond 0.0 dB is also not advisable, increasing linked volume OUTPUT during LIVE is not easy etc.

I'd like a substantial amount of increased but still controlable volume when pressing my volume pedal on my my midi pedal from heel to toe (BTW RIG volume is set to -2. Pressing volume pedal to toe shows full PEDAL VALUE (Volume) but the difference is hardly audible....

• the main difference between my generic Rhythm and Lead sound it's an EQ in X position + a delay + often a different reverb or a different setting of the same Reverb.

Basically I copy the rhythm rig to a new one and I add those 3 fx, and I adjust them if necessary.

Sometimes I also Reduce the gain level just a lil bit.

Not sure this would may help you but..

• Cutting through the mix is indeed what I mean but I'm not sure what you mean by mids. Is this increasing Middle (between bass - treble and presence in RIG screen?

If not , where to find mids?

All boosters fx I can find (Lead Booster, Pure Booster, Treble Booster, Wah pedal Booster) sound awful...

• Hi, theplayer.

Have you tried putting a Kemper Drive in one of the stomps? Set that up and run through the Presets (e.g., Klon1, Klon2...). There might be something you like in there.

Download Main Manual 8.5 English then start on page 170.

Consider using Morph to change the level of the parameters in the Kemper Drive, for more control. Then you can assign Morph to your expression pedal.

• I usually put a graphic EQ on the X slot, crank the mids by doing an inverted "V" shape and add a bit on the EQ Volume parameter. Check in your DAW that the volume when the EQ is engaged goes up about 4dbs. I usually combine this with a Kemper Drive stomp pre-stack and a short stereo delay.

That being said, not sure why you say "increasing volume in AMPLIFIER is not recommended, increasing VOLUME beyond 0.0 dB is also not advisable". Regardless of what you heard, increasing amplifier volume or rig volume is certainly doable but if volume boost is your issue, it is easier to just put a Pure Boost stomp post-stack.

• There are many ways to boost mids. One of the most popular is to add a tube screamer BEFORE the amp. No gain, but boost the level. It will tighten the low end, boost the mids and add a little grit by way of the level boost.

Would you be so kind to explain how to do this..?

Where would that tube screamer be? Do you mean a Green Scream? And BEFORE the amp...is that slot D of Stomps?

• I'm from Holland and the technical engineer language is sometimes hard to understand. That's whay I prefer learning by doing, even if it gets me nowhere sometimes ;) So struggling in a rather tecnnical manual doesn't help.

I've tried the Kemper Drive in one of the Stomps section but that wasn't a succes. Increasing the volume knob to the max changes absolutely nothing! That knob doesn't seem to be working for volume...

• If you're talking cutting through the mix, mids are your friend. If not, just put a clean boost after the amp (x-reverb slot)

I moved the Reverb (in the x-reverb slot to the Delay position but there's no CLEAN Booster to be found. It's all PURE Booster, LEAD Booster, TREBLE Booster, WAH PEDAL Booster....

• if you position the volume pedal at the very end of the signal chain it will control the overall volume of the rig without adding any distortion.

You could also simply morph the amp volume or rig volume to achieve the same.

Not sure why you think that increasing the amp volume is a no go. That parameter is there for a reason.

• if you position the volume pedal at the very end of the signal chain it will control the overall volume of the rig without adding any distortion.

You could also simply morph the amp volume or rig volume to achieve the same.

Not sure why you think that increasing the amp volume is a no go. That parameter is there for a reason.

I guess that's a part of the problem. My volume pedal is attached to my midi pedal. So how and where to put it at the end of the signal chain?

I got this message once in a topic from this forum and have kept it in mind. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. But no one mentions this an an option to increase volume for lead.

Edited 2 times, last by theplayer ().

• In a band mix…the lead booster sounds WAY better than you think.

Nor does it require being on 100%. Same for the Treble Booster.

By itself, Brian May’s lead sound can be downright awful. He’s one of the pioneers of treble booster usage.

With the band? Legendary.

Just turning a rhythm sound up often won’t do enough - or much of anything. Adding (or boosting) mid-frequencies can do a ton.

Just messing with the graphic eq in the X slot will surprise you.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• In a band mix…the lead booster sounds WAY better than you think.

Nor does it require being on 100%. Same for the Treble Booster.

By itself, Brian May’s lead sound can be downright awful. He’s one of the pioneers of treble booster usage.

With the band? Legendary.

OK , in a band mix... But shouldn't you be able to hear that too in your speaker/monitor speaker cabinet ?

I found a clear explaining video, called Every Volume Pedal Setting On The Kemper Profiler. It clears up the different types of having the volume pedal in the signal chain, including the end of it. I understand this much better now. Thank you

• OK , in a band mix... But shouldn't you be able to hear that too in your speaker/monitor speaker cabinet ?

I found a clear explaining video, called Every Volume Pedal Setting On The Kemper Profiler. It clears up the different types of having the volume pedal in the signal chain, including the end of it. I understand this much better now. Thank you

The guitar sound by itself from the amp or monitors won’t show how it sounds in-context.

It’s not unlike quoting someone, but not giving the context around why they said it. It’s not the same at all.

Lead sounds are as much, if not more, about what frequencies you highlight as opposed to overall volume.

• just volume and gain wise, I set my lead tone, then roll off the volume pot on my guitar to get a rhythm sound.

Old School. ?

If a button press is what someone wants - build a lead tone, roll back the volume knob and then figure out what settings will mimic that new sound.

Save.