For those creating your own profiles

• Stumbled upon a great video about miking guitar cabs from Steve Albini:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There's some good advice in there, and I just like the way the guy thinks. Above all else, experiment!

• He lost me as soon as I seen the cheapo amp on a chair. No matter how you mic'd it, it was never going to sound good.

To be fair, Steve Albini has recorded enough awesome guitars tones in his career to know what does and doesn’t work. I would listen to wha pt he has to say.

the cheap amp looks like a Fender Champ which is a phenomenal recording amp and has been used in the studio (usually on a chair) for many legendary guitar tones. Alan Murphy pretty much always used his Champ for recording. Clapton apparently used a Tweed Champ for the Layla album, 461 Ocean Boulevard and others.

• Wheresthedug I only know Clapton because of Cocaine (the song). Never heard of the other guys. But I was never much into the sound of Fender amps. Most of my heroes played Marshall.

Now that I have a Kemper, I don't have to worry about mic placement. 8o

Seriously, I watched the entire video and took notes. I also researched Sweetwater's tutorials on mic placement a while back for when I decide to profile my own stuff. All good tips here and there.

But Marshalls won't fit on a chair. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Stumbled upon a great video about miking guitar cabs from Steve Albini:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There's some good advice in there, and I just like the way the guy thinks. Above all else, experiment!

IMHO, this guy is spot on. That is a Fender Champ amp on the chair. They have been used by many guitarists for recording. This is the reason they are so expensive. You have probably heard these amps on many recordings that you would never think was this small amp. When you get the mic placement right on them they sound huge. You can crank the amp to get the breakup you want without taking your eardrums out. They are very low wattage. As already stated, this is a not so well kept secret.

• Small amps can sound huge when miked certain ways! A not-very-well-kept recording secret :)

First time I heard about it was a track David Guilmour did for Pink Floyd. I confess I was really suprised.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau