Rig Manager - insert slot/shuffle performances

• Hi all, I'm preparing my performances for a show and I need to insert a rig into a performance shuffling all the other subsequent slots up one to preserve the work I've done so far. My (admittedly limited) experience as a programmer suggests to me that this is a simple operation to code, basically adding an element to an array and moving all the elements after the new one up but I can't find a way to make it work in RM. Am I missing something basic here?

• What you mean with slot? Rig? I am afraid if you mean Rig than you have to do it manualy. I mean move current slot(s) up 1st, create empty "slot" and insert there new rig. But maybe I misunderstood you.

• Hi all, I'm preparing my performances for a show and I need to insert a rig into a performance shuffling all the other subsequent slots up one to preserve the work I've done so far. My (admittedly limited) experience as a programmer suggests to me that this is a simple operation to code, basically adding an element to an array and moving all the elements after the new one up but I can't find a way to make it work in RM. Am I missing something basic here?

You can’t I don’t think. you need to reorder first to make the free slot.

Obviously you can only insert a slot if you have 4 or less slots in use of the given performance. In which case you need to individually move/shuffle/reorder (whatever term you like) across one slot position to create the free slot.

• It is a two step process.

First Move the required slots to make space. Then insert the new Rig.

In RM this is do by Selecting a Slot (Say Number 3 for example) and right clicking. Then use Move Up/Move Down to move to the new Location to leave an empty space. Alternatively use the cmd+up arrow or cmd+down arrow keyboard shortcuts. Now fill the empty slot with the Rig you want to add.

Alternatively just add the new rig to the next available slot then use the Move Up command to move it to the required location.

This can also be done directly on the KPA by pushing the Edit softkey then the Slot Settings Softkey

• You can also copy/paste existing slots from one performance to another.

I’m not where I can check, but I believe you need to use keyboards shortcuts, as right clicking on a slot in RM doesn’t work.

….or I’m so used to the shortcuts I’ve forgotten.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• OK, thanks all. Got it done but it's incredibly kludgy. I have 7 performances. I needed to insert a rig in slot 3 of performance 5. To do this, I had to move performances 6 and 7 to new performances leaving performance 6 as an empty new performance, then copy (one at a time) rigs in slots 3, 4 and performance 5 to perf 5 slot 5 and perf 6 slot 1 respectively, insert my new rig into slot 3 Perf 5 and then copy the rigs from slots1- perks 7 and 8 back to starting at slot 2 perf 6.... I'm bored even describing it. It's simple manipulation of an array in programming terms. Add 1 to size of array, move array contents after the insert point up by 1, insert new element into array, save. Easy.

• What if you copy and paste the current rigs to the desired locations (1,2,4 and 5) within the performance, and then copy the new rig "on top of"the desired slot (3) instead of inserting the new rig in slot 3?

Does that make sense?

• What if you copy and paste the current rigs to the desired locations (1,2,4 and 5) within the performance, and then copy the new rig "on top of"the desired slot (3) instead of inserting the new rig in slot 3?

Does that make sense?

Yes, but it would make a lot more sense to be able to simply insert a slot and have the contents of all subsequent slots shuffle up a place automatically..

That's what computers are good at.

Does that make sense?

and you can't copy/paste multiple slots, have to do them individually or the whole performance in one go. Dumb programming, IMNSHO

Glad you got it sorted but I'm not sure I understand your process. It seems like a strange amount of work to insert a Slot.

Surely if it is performance 5 you need to insert a Slot into you just need to tweak Performance 5? Why are the other Performances affected at all?

Because I want to keep the rigs in the subsequent performances in the order I programmed them to be. It should be so simple: option to "Insert rig" without having to manually move all the subsequent ones up a slot. Grrrrrr. (not at you, obv. ) As you rightly say, " a lot of work to insert a slot.

• Yes, but it would make a lot more sense to be able to simply insert a slot and have the contents of all subsequent slots shuffle up a place automatically..

That's what computers are good at.

But what you are requesting is something that many people, including me, don't like/want. For me one performance is one finite entity (particular song or amplifier or whatever ...) and I don't want other performances are affected when I change something in one performance. This is not about computers or programming. This is about logic behind performances concept.

Edited once, last by vjelen ().

• But what you are requesting is something that many people, including me, don't like/want. For me one performance is one infinite entity (particular song or amplifier or whatever ...) and I don't want other performances are affected when I change something in one performance. This is not about computers or programming. This is about logic behind performances concept.

Understood, but it would be good to have the option. I'll explain further: I'm doing a few shows playing Tubular Bells. That requires a lot of guitar sounds. I've programmed the whole show into 7 performances but now find I need to make a new rig for a section in the middle of the show. I want to insert that rig but not overwrite any of the other performance slots, just move them all one place later in the overall group of performances.

• Understood, but it would be good to have the option. I'll explain further: I'm doing a few shows playing Tubular Bells. That requires a lot of guitar sounds. I've programmed the whole show into 7 performances but now find I need to make a new rig for a section in the middle of the show. I want to insert that rig but not overwrite any of the other performance slots, just move them all one place later in the overall group of performances.

Not sure I'm understanding this...

You want an 8th performance, but it needs to be , lets say, between current perf. 3 and 4?

Or there is one rig that needs to go in the middle of performance 3 or 4 , while it shifts all other rigs down the line? So rig 5 in performance 4 becomes rig 1 in perfomance 5?

Sorry if I'm being dumb.... Just trying to understand....

And by all means I am NOT a Rig Manager fanboy. IMHO its probably the Kemper aspect that needs most improvement. I find it doing weird stuff all the time....

• Not sure I'm understanding this...

You want an 8th performance, but it needs to be , lets say, between current perf. 3 and 4?

Or there is one rig that needs to go in the middle of performance 3 or 4 , while it shifts all other rigs down the line? So rig 5 in performance 4 becomes rig 1 in perfomance 5?

Sorry if I'm being dumb.... Just trying to understand....

And by all means I am NOT a Rig Manager fanboy. IMHO its probably the Kemper aspect that needs most improvement. I find it doing weird stuff all the time....

yep, the operating system is not brilliant by any means and I’m not a technophobe at all, quite the opposite

• Ok, got it.

But I can see why it wouldnt be a popular choice. Performances usually translate to one or several songs. We would have the Super Solo sound in slot 1 of the following perf. where there should be our clean sound, which is now in slot 2. :)

You now who is at fault, right? Mike Oldfield. 8)