My thoughts on the Kemper so far and how to get around lag within rigs in a performance

• Hello everyone,

So I've had my Kemper stage now for a few weeks and have about 8 shows in with it. I love the portability with this unit but there's a few things that are bothering me about it. I'm struggling to get a consistent volume level from my performances. I tried to balance everything out as well as I could but always notice differences in volume when switching to a different rig. I'm also noticing a slight lag when I do switch to a different performances while playing a song. If I go from say a clean tone (on one performance) to a overdriven tone (to another performance). Maybe I just need to carefully think through my performances and instead of switching to another performance and use the morph or use some of the extra pedals to turn an overdrive off/on while on that clean performance. I'm also finding that the overdrives are just ok. I was noticing while soloing this past weekend that some of my notes would get cut off while trying to sustain a note. Maybe it's the noise gate kicking in? How does everyone else get by? Maybe it's just better to find a good overdriven rig and NOT use the overdrives. Would love to hear what everyone else out there is using. Last thing, what's everyone's thoughts on the Kemper's tuner? I've been using it but I'm thinking that it's not 100% accurate. I would like to point out though that my bandmates all love the tones I'm getting, maybe I'm just so use to playing real amps it's taking me a bit to adjust?

• Stay in one performance. That's the general idea. I don't get any lag that way and not sure that I even do switching performances. And I am very sensitive to gaps live. If a unit did that, it wouldn't last long for me. Keep your browser with copies of what you use in performances and balance them with the volume in amp module. It doesn't take much to get them all balanced, usually different packs will have similar volume settings within them. My BM pack that I love comes with amp volumes @ +3. I'll usually turn everything to 0 and start there to make them jive with MB packs, bounce through them, record them with drums and see what needs to go up or down. That gets me close. Good think is with a KPA, once their set, you're done and it's go to gig, turn on and adjust monitor. It always takes me a while to get things perfect, but the end result is worth it. You can save all your hard work if anything happens too.

• I don't get any lag that way and not sure that I even do switching performances. And I am very sensitive to gaps live. If a unit did that, it wouldn't last long for me.

Really? I'm definitely hearing a lag from one performance to another. It's very minimal but noticeable enough when using it live. I'm using the rig volume when trying to balance everything as someone had noted on here before.

• Sorry I guess I should explain this again. I was very tired when I wrote this lol. I'm noticing a lag when switching between rigs in the SAME performance. So basically I'm using 5 different sounds within the same performance and when I switch there's a delay.

• never noticed any lag switching rigs on the same performance.

Really? Initially I had a problem with my first Kemper stage. It had the "clock setup error" which Kemper replaced the unit. I did a backup/restore and I noticed that it didn't fully restore everything. ie: my external pedal settings for my expression pedal needed to be redone. I'm wondering if maybe something didn't go right with the restore?

• I use mine in P&W. Lots of patch changes in each song. Also lots of jumping from pads to clean to hairy to lead tones. Large televised worship setting. Lag would not be tolerated by me our the sound engineer. No issues here. Over a year in. Used 2-3 times every single week. Sorry you’re having issues. Hopefully they get it resolved. The Stage is the single best piece of gear I have purchased in 32 years of playing live.

• Not sure about the stage, but my powerhead (using the Kemper controller) semlessly and instantaneously switches...no lag at all...When I play through my boogie and switch between channels and effects at the same time (Midi-midi octopus-OLD SCHOOL), I have to "anticipate" and switch "ahead" of the part a bit..The Kemper has no lag, and I don't even think aboout it.. I have a friend that uses the stage, loves it mainly because of "no lag" (..obviously the killer tones..) Sounds like a service ticket..

• I'm struggling to get a consistent volume level from my performances. I tried to balance everything out as well as I could but always notice differences in volume when switching to a different rig.

should be super easy. Make sure your Clean Sense is set for your guitar(s) and lock the input section. Remember that the Input menu is independent between Browser mode and Performance Mode. Then use either Amp Volume or Rig volume to balance the levels across Rigs.

I'm also noticing a slight lag when I do switch to a different performances while playing a song. If I go from say a clean tone (on one performance) to a overdriven tone (to another performance).

While I do notice a lag in Browser Mode I get zero lag in Performance Mode. I use Browser Mode at home for trying stuff out but only ever use Performance mode live.

I'm also finding that the overdrives are just ok. I was noticing while soloing this past weekend that some of my notes would get cut off while trying to sustain a note. Maybe it's the noise gate kicking in? How does everyone else get by? Maybe it's just better to find a good overdriven rig and NOT use the overdrives. Would love to hear what everyone else out there is using.

I rarely use OD as I prefer to just find a rig that works for me. I never really used OD Pedals with my valve amps either though. However, I have tested the new Kemper Drive OD Fx and think they sound really fantastic. I have no issue using them when required. The same is true of the new Fuzzes. I have never noticed the note being cut off with an OD any differently than with a high gain amp profile. Sounds like a noise gate issue.

Last thing, what's everyone's thoughts on the Kemper's tuner? I've been using it but I'm thinking that it's not 100% accurate. I would like to point out though that my bandmates all love the tones I'm getting, maybe I'm just so use to playing real amps it's taking me a bit to adjust?

I was worried about this too at the beginning. I tested it against my Korg Rack tuner (I sold the Korg afterwards :D), Boss TU3, Logic and Guitar Rig software tuners, RJM Mastermind midi controller, and a Peterson iPhone tuner app. The Kemper was spot against them all. I now only use the Kemper tuner on my Remote and use it in Strobe Mode. Can’t imagine going back to the bubble thing ever.

• I use mine in P&W. Lots of patch changes in each song. Also lots of jumping from pads to clean to hairy to lead tones. Large televised worship setting. Lag would not be tolerated by me our the sound engineer. No issues here. Over a year in. Used 2-3 times every single week. Sorry you’re having issues. Hopefully they get it resolved. The Stage is the single best piece of gear I have purchased in 32 years of playing live.

thanks, I’ll be doing some investigating before my next shows this weekend.

• yeah, the consensus seems to be that there is no lag. I’m going to hook up the profiler to my DAW and do some testing. If I’m hearing lag still I’m going to send the recordings to Kemper support as they have requested.

I’m always using the stage in performance mode while I’m live.

I’ll mess around some more with the OD’s, maybe I haven’t found the right one or haven’t dialed in the right sound that I like. And I’m guessing the noise gate is the issue with the notes getting cut off.

Thanks! :)

• The main reason I sold my Fractal Audio FM3 and got a Stage was because of the pretty unacceptable lag between switching scenes and channels, which are supposed to be instant according to Fractal. I wonder if something is up with your Stage specifically because I am also extremely picky about switching lag, and I have never noticed any lag on a Stage. I don't think the clock sync error has anything to do with switching at all. It just means you have to enter the date every time you power the thing up (which is also super annoying, I also had that issue and got a replacement from Kemper).

• Hi guys,

When we discuss "switching lags", we have to make a distiction between the time the transition takes, and a possible sound pause.

When you switch Rigs inside the same Performance, the reaction time will only be a handful of milliseconds.

There will be no sound pause or gap, because both rigs will be crossfaded. This is quite a unique feature in digital guitar amps.

The crossfade, however, might give you the impression of a lag.

You can control the crossfade time by the parameter "Rig X-Fade Time" in the System Menu.

The lower you set it, the faster and harder is the sound transition.