My thoughts on the Kemper so far and how to get around lag within rigs in a performance

• The main reason I sold my Fractal Audio FM3 and got a Stage was because of the pretty unacceptable lag between switching scenes and channels, which are supposed to be instant according to Fractal. I wonder if something is up with your Stage specifically because I am also extremely picky about switching lag, and I have never noticed any lag on a Stage. I don't think the clock sync error has anything to do with switching at all. It just means you have to enter the date every time you power the thing up (which is also super annoying, I also had that issue and got a replacement from Kemper).

I already did get a replacement for the clock error so I agree that's it's not that.

• Oooh, that's the first I hear of that! Maybe that's my issue. It's basically a part in a song where I was switching from a complete clean rig to an overdriven rig. I almost had to click the button before the change to that each rig would load quick enough. So maybe it is the crossfade setting. I will check that out tonight!

• Hey everyone,

Anybody here have any experience measuring latency from Ableton or Studio One? Kemper support is asking me to do this and I have no idea where to start. This basically started because I’m hearing latency when switching patches in a performance. I’ve read of lot of comments on here and it seems that some people experience it and others don’t. I just want to be 100% certain that there’s nothing wrong with my unit. I already have gotten a replacement for the “clock setup error”

Issue.

• So, since there is already a crossfade between rigs in the same performance, when can we expect to see Morphing between rigs in the same performance? It sounds like a variable crossfade time parameter assigned to the morph position of a footswitch, or a morph pedal should be easily achievable? ?

• sorry if the explanation how to set this up was not clear enough.

Create a sequence of 5 MIDI program changes in your DAW where each one is placed on the first downbeat of every bar and send those over a MIDI cable connected between the MIDI out of your interface to the MIDI in of the Profiler.

Send a continuous audio signal to the front input of your Profiler and then run the sequence and record the resulting audio on an audio track.

This will make it possible to measure the time it takes from the moment the program change was received by the Profiler to the moment the new slot was loaded.

• Sorry I guess I should explain this again. I was very tired when I wrote this lol. I'm noticing a lag when switching between rigs in the SAME performance. So basically I'm using 5 different sounds within the same performance and when I switch there's a delay.

This may not help but..in performance mode, I do not switch out of a amp more of a change in gain… or morph for solo or gain up or down…

I go from clean Marshall to sol/crunch Marshall with the morph within a “patch”

Seems to work easier that way

• Never had lags between rigs in one performance page.
    but some when you move from a performance to another.

I also have the « cut off ». Notes are dying too quickly. I mainly solved it ( not entirely though) by adjusting the clean sense higher.

For the volumes, it can be really tricky if you use different amps profiles or cab profile.

For live use. I just use one profile that I’ve tweaked to go from clean to full lead shred lol.

• I'm relatively new to kemp and the forum. I too experience a slight lag/gap between rigs 1-5 and have tried to work out how to make it work seamlessly, with no joy. I actually just wrote a thread on the suggested features page, then stumbled on this thread.

I have a keeper stage and it most certainly has a slight gap between profiles.

• That's strange. I haven't ever noticed a gap or noticeable lag. However, these are two different things so it is important to be clear what we are talking about. A gap would be a drop out in the signal (a small section of silence as the sound rig changes) whereas a lag could be a continuous sound but a delay between pushing the pedal and the sound actually changing.

I have just tested for gaps on my my Toaster and there is definitely no gap; the change is instant. This can be tested by recording a sustained chord and changing rig while the chord sustains. If there was a gap this would not only be audible but would be visible in the audio waveform editor. In the test I just carried out there was no drop out in signal and the waveform was a continuous line with no abrupt jump between the two rigs. I believe this is because Performance mode actually applies a short crossfade just like a DAW between regions. The length of this crossfade can be set in on page 4 of the System Menu but it is so fast that I can't hear any difference regardless of the setting.

• That's strange. I haven't ever noticed a gap or noticeable lag. However, these are two different things so it is important to be clear what we are talking about. A gap would be a drop out in the signal (a small section of silence as the sound rig changes) whereas a lag could be a continuous sound but a delay between pushing the pedal and the sound actually changing.

I have just tested for gaps on my my Toaster and there is definitely no gap; the change is instant. This can be tested by recording a sustained chord and changing rig while the chord sustains. If there was a gap this would not only be audible but would be visible in the audio waveform editor. In the test I just carried out there was no drop out in signal and the waveform was a continuous line with no abrupt jump between the two rigs. I believe this is because Performance mode actually applies a short crossfade just like a DAW between regions. The length of this crossfade can be set in on page 4 of the System Menu but it is so fast that I can't hear any difference regardless of the setting.

Actually if you sustain a chord and switch between a clean and high-gain profile it's rather noticeable. What puzzles me is that this suggest that the Profiler is somehow able to play two profiles at once, which I didn't think was possible. So possibly some clever trickery is going on.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I’ll have to try and find this Crossfade function/value and see if it makes a difference, because I Harare a distinct change between switches 1 through 5.

move used the same profile through all 5 with varying levels of gain. Some have a some might bump in volume (by choice, for dynamics) but even two profile that are almost identical (my 3/4 are the same on this baring one pedal) I can notice it’s not seamless

• Something isn't right there.

After Niko mentioned that there is a definite gap between clean and distorted (I very much respect and trust his opinion) I went back and rechecked with multiple different performances.

The ultimate "test" for a drop out/gap is to copy the same rig into each slot. Now it should be immediately obvious if there is a break in the audio as you are only hearing the rig change Not the SOUND of the rig so tone or volume jumps won't trick you into thinking there is something else happening. If the change is seamless you should just hear the chord decay smoothly. I have tried both this test and the test of switching between totally different rigs, quite similar but not identical etc etc. Occasionally I did here a click or pop like a bad crossfade but no gap in the actual audio.

All of them were seamless.

I do sometimes feel there is slight lag between hitting the footswitch and the change happening (more so when connected to Rig Manager) but there hasn't been a drop out of audio all night so far.

• Sorry I wasn't clear. My point was that with xfade at 10 you can clearly hear the fade where both the clean and gainy rigs play at the same time. I don't get any significant gap even at xfade 0.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM