Looking for some headphone recommendations

• Hey everyone,

I've been playing around with the headphones that come with the Focusrite Scarlett for a while, but to be honest, they don't sound great. I mostly use high gain profiles (Boogies, Friedmans, etc) but I have a few questions:

1. What are the main differences between closed and open back headphones? I don't do much recording and mostly play at home. What would be preferable for higher gain stuff?

2. I have a nice set of headphones (Sony WH-1000XM3) - is it possible to use those?

3. About the ohms - what's better? Higher or lower?

Thanks everyone! If this isn't the right place to post feel free to move it elsewhere.

• Closed backed headphones feel heavy if you where them for long periods but are totally isolating - really shuts out the entire world around you. Open back are lighter on your head and allow outside sounds to bleed into your hearing which some prefer - works nice when focusing on your sound while having other instruments play through amps, PA, or studio monitors.

You can use use your Sonys if you want but you will get an inaccurate tone compared to studio headphones since the Sonys and non-studio will generally have boosted frequencies in mids and bass. Studio headphones have a flatter (un-boosted) and a broader frequency response that is more accurate to the original sound being played.

For studio headphones you can look them up at Sweetwater and check out the reviews. There are several good ones from $100 - $300 range.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hi, DareRelaqz.

Here are some articles that should help.

Open vs Closed

Open vs Closed Headphones-Back - Headphones Market

Open back vs closed back headphones: Which are right for you? | SoundGuys

Open-back VS Closed-back Headphones: Which Should You Buy? - Headphonesty

Your Sony WH-1000XM3

https://www.rtings.com/headpho…/sony/wh-1000xm3-wireless

These look to be bass-heavy but you can use the Sony app to change the EQ.

Ohms and Impedance

https://www.taggdigital.com/blog/ohm-Impedance

How will you be using the headphones?

• To listen to the Profiler when you can't play through a PA or guitar cabinets (headphones to avoid disturbing others)?
    • To mix and master recordings that will be played back in other settings (online, computer speakers, car audio)?
    • To fine-tune rigs that you'll play through different gear at live gigs or recording?

In-Ear Monitors

If you use or plan to use in-ear monitors on stage, then consider using those in-ears whenever you use your Profiler (especially when fine-tuning rigs and performances and rehearsing).

Most of the time I use the same sound system for practice, rehearsal, and performing - my PA system (Bose L1 Pro32).

However, when I want to go for a more intimate experience, I'll use my stage in-ear monitors instead of headphones. (Sennheiser IE 500 Pro)

• ST Thanks for the links, I'll get to reading soon!

BayouTexan I'm actually okay with the headphones being isolating. Do they work kinda like noise cancelling headphones? I assume they don't have the 'active' noise cancelling of bluetooth headphones, but that you can't hear anything while you're playing?

• another thing to consider is that Bluetooth headphones may introduce latency to the signal path which might affect the feel of playing. I have never used Bluetooth headphones so can’t comment from personal experience but I believe this to be true based on specs. However, the short answer to “can I use my…….” Is “try it and see if you like it”.

• Curious what you use?

I've been using the Shure SE-215's for about two years now. At some point, it'll be time to upgrade to higher-end ones with multi-drivers, but the Shure ones have treated me great so far. Really comfortable, sound great, durable & are fairly inexpensive.

Truth be told? I might enjoy the Kemper through in-ears more than through my studio monitors or through an actual guitar amp. Add a little "Space" control & it's just awesome.

• I've been using the Shure SE-215's for about two years now. At some point, it'll be time to upgrade to higher-end ones with multi-drivers, but the Shure ones have treated me great so far. Really comfortable, sound great, durable & are fairly inexpensive.

Truth be told? I might enjoy the Kemper through in-ears more than through my studio monitors or through an actual guitar amp. Add a little "Space" control & it's just awesome.

The price is right. Man I would like to try them out. Hmmm...

• Do either of you happen to have experience with over-ear Shure headphones? I'll have a look at some in-ears since you recommended them, but over-ear would be my preference. I just think it'll be more comfortable for me personally over a longer time because in-ear stuff tends to fall out for me.

• Do either of you happen to have experience with over-ear Shure headphones? I'll have a look at some in-ears since you recommended them, but over-ear would be my preference. I just think it'll be more comfortable for me personally over a longer time because in-ear stuff tends to fall out for me.

The only lengthy experience with over-the-ear headphones that I've had are my Audio Technica ones. I find over-the-ear headphones cause a lot of sweat & discomfort from the arms of my glasses. The Shure in-ears, with the S, M, L size tips, feel & sound fantastic. No fatigue at all & very sound isolating.

i have over ear Audio Technica, Beyer Dynamic and others which I use a lot but the most comfortable option for long term playing is custom moulded IEM. You can wear them all day and not even know you’re wear them. I don’t have expensive custom IEM. Instead I have SE215 and SE 425 and a set of Snugs which are interchangeable with any Shure IEM.

• If sound bleed is not an issue I can’t stress enough to get some reference quality open back cans, I have personally being using the AKG 7xx series headphones for over a decade, have no reason to try anything else.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

I've had the SRH-440, and SRH-840. (still use them) Pretty good headphones, very comfortable. They do break fairly easily, try to be careful not to drop them too much. (parts of the frame crack) Soundwise very good, reference quality, maybe a little light on the bass frequencies, 840s a little better with the bass. Can wear all day.

Also had the ATH-MX50s, KRK 8400, many others, all were uncomfortable.

Surpassing those for mixing and referencing are the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. Very flat response, with more bass than the Shures.

These I use for mixing and critical listening, such as evaluation of profiles. Also very comfortable. Not very fun to use, the response is so flat, very boring.

Recently, I've been using my son's Playstation 5 Pulse 3D Sony headphones. Sounds funny for audio not gaming, but man, are these fun! Everything sounds great in them, every profile rocks, tons of bass. You can't trust them for any real evaluation, or mixing, or reference use, they are too colored. But just for jamming out, or tracking, it's fun, all the profiles come to life. I just bought a used pair, pretty cheap. Also pretty comfortable.

My advice beyond all that is: get one that's 'over the ear' style, rather than 'on the ear'. For me anyway, they are less comfortable, can't wear for very long periods.

Good luck!

• I'm a big headphone junkie and probably have a dozen pairs currently with another dozen or more recently owned.

For playing guitar I prefer closed back headphones because open back will let in the sound of the strings and the unplugged guitar reflections in the room. It doesn't work well especially for distorted guitar in my opinion. For music or listening to mixes in a quiet room, open backed headphones do tend to have a cleaner sound as the waves don't bounce back into your ears.

For impedance (ohms), the Kemper should be able to drive anything 300 ohms and less just fine. Most consumer headphones are in the 30-100 ohm range. If you have the option (like Beyer headphones), I'd go with 80 ohms as you can drive them off anything and they tend to still sound pretty clean. With the 250-300 ohm, you have to turn them up more and they may not have quite as much low end. They are more for people with dedicated headphone amps. I've tried those headphone amps and they honestly don't do much for the sound.

Right now I'm using the Beyer DT-770 Pro in 80ohms, which are good for all around use and a little easier to drive/less bright than the 250 ohm version. They are really flat and clean sounding, outside of a boost in the high treble (like all Beyers). They are also comfortable, block out noise well, and should be very durable.

If you're treble sensitive, try the AKG K371, which don't have the boosted treble. They're still pretty flat although they don't sound quite as clean, and they look/feel a bit cheap and aren't as comfortable. I've also got the Sennheiser HD 300 Pro which are the upgraded version of the 280, and those are good tracking headphones as they have a boosted midrange and block out noise well. But they aren't as flat as they have a little boost in the lows and rolled off high end.

I've tried many other closed headphones listed here too including the Shure 840, which sounded good and flat although they were heavy and uncomfortable and made a lot of creaking noises and seem like they will break over time. Tried the KRK 8400 which had earpads too small to fit my regular sized ears so they were uncomfortable, plus boosted lows and highs. And the Audio Technica M50X which are also have slightly small earpads and a generally colored sound (but they aren't bad for music).

For open headphones, I like the Sennheiser HD 6xx from Drop. They are basically the HD650 at about 2/3 the price. They are really flat and sound great all throughout the midrange, although the low end and high end are both a little rolled off. Awesome for music or listening to mixes but as they are open back they let guitar string sound in. The HD 58x are really close with a little less bass roll-off and a little more treble roll-off.

I've also tried the Beyer DT-880 Pro and DT-990 Pro. The 880 Pro are fairly flat in the mids but they have that big treble spike in the high end and rolled off low end. I prefer the Sennheiser overall for open back or the 770 Pro for a flat headphone with a boosted treble. The 990 Pro is similar to 880 Pro but with a little bump in the low end (still not bassy) and even bigger treble boost. It's a pretty bright headphone and I don't like it much either.

Edited once, last by Jarick ().

• The Audio Technica M40X headphones are great for playing guitar, dialing in tones, and mixing if needed. They're the flat response version of the M50x model and are slightly less in price also.

I've actually gone through the grueling process of ordering a bunch of pairs of headphones and trying them all out to see which was best for what I was looking for. It's much easier to make a clear decision when you can directly compare them.

I tried out all of the following headphones : Audio Technica M50X, Audio Technica M40X, Sennheiser 280 Pro, Beyerdynamic 770 Pro(80 Ohms), Sony MDR-7506, Shure SRH840, and a few other I can't think of at the moment.

The Audio Technica M40X's sounded the most flat and clear, and sounded clearest when loud especially. They really surprised me since they're one of the more affordable options and I really like being able to replace the cable when it breaks instead of having to replace the headphones lol. They sound great for playing guitar through and can get loud without buzzing and they sound balanced in comparison to a lot of other headphones, especially the M50X's. The M50X's are more bass hyped and treble hyped for music listening and consumers but most people go for those because they're in the same $150 price range where other entry level high end headphones sit at, and they often overlook the M40X because it's the cheaper option. After all, it does make it seem like the cheaper AT headphones would be the consumer model and the more expensive ones would be for music production.

If you give the M40X's a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. And you might even save some cash in comparison to how much some of the other comparable options are.

And if you're trying to decide between a few different headphones, my best advice would be to narrow it down to 2 or 3 options and then try them all out side by side. That way you can make a sure decision and never have to wonder which is best for you. Hope this helps!!^^