S/PDIF @ 96k?

• Hey all -

Just got a new interface for the home studio. It's the Roland Studio Capture. I tried connecting my Kemper to it via S/PDIF, but the interface always locks to 44.1 no matter what the output setting is on the Kemper. Is the Kemper stuck at 44.1?

I worked around it by creating an insert path / bus combo in Protools over analog, but I'd love to keep it all digital.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

(It's an unpowered Kemper rack)

Thanks All

D

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• EDIT: Yup. Both coax cables are connected.

I've had the Kemper for a couple of years- I'm actually not sure of the build date- and the roland always wants to be the slave unfortunately (it doesn't let me assign master/slave with the kemper plugged in)

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• Try with analog .

Alsdo be aware of this :

• Thanks DamianGreda. Analog is how I'm going right now (I couldn't get it set up, and I had stuff to track ;) )

And the studio capture IS changing it's sample rate automatically- to 44.1, no matter what I have it set to, and no matter what the kemper is set to. Always back to 44.1. I track at 96k (only for reduced latency) and wanted to keep it there.

Anyway...

For those curious, the routing is the same as if it was digital - I'm going out from 9 into the kemper, and then back into 15/16- just over analog. I can now patch in to channel 2 on the interface, record (and hear) through the kemper, but then print the kemper when I have the tone dialed in perfect / take comped the way I like it. :)

I just couldn't get the digital to work.

• Strange. It's not excactly a cheap interface. Have you concated their support? I have a SPL Crimson interface and I use spdif the whole time and can change to 96khz if I want without any problem. But anyway, you wont get a better sound with 96khz compared to 41.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Yeah- I track at 96k for latency reasons only. At the end of the day, everything gets popped down to 44.1/24 for streaming anyway.

I'll keep messing with it.

• mollydyer Try with these solutions:

With the quad capture, you can't have listen to this device enabled in Windows.
    Go to settings, sound settings, recording, 1-2 quad-capture, properties, listen (tab), uncheck the listen to this device. Done. You should freely be able to choose your sample rate at this point.

It sounds like Windows is using your interface as the main audio device, which is keeping you from changing sample rates and using it successfully with Pro Tools. You will need to go into Windows Playback Devices and tell Windows not to use the Quad Capture for audio.
    After disabling the Quad Capture as a Windows Playback device, reboot the PC.
    After the reboot, open Windows Control Panel and run the Quad Capture settings app. This is where you will want to set the sample rate.

• Thanks a mill for taking the time DamianGreda - I'm on a Mac. I'm in a session RN so I won't be able to play around again until after these tracks are finished. I set it up using the analog io for now.

But I *really* appreciate your suggestions. Very much.