Is selling profiles illegal?

• Well maybe there are here topics allready on it. But I don't understand how its possible to charge money for something that's already exist.

For me i have like 2 ethical questions :

1) if you take a picture of a picture made by a pro photographer is that considered your work???

2)If I resell an purchased profile for kemper and claiming to be my own is that possible considering the fact that the original owner copied it in the first place? So I don't have any plans on the subject but can he sue you or even know about it ???

• considering the fact that the original owner copied it in the first place

That's a fundamental misconception! He didn't copy anything. He chose the amp and its settings, chose a cab, chose one or more microphones and chose their position and last but not least he chose one or more mic preamps ... and bottomline is, you buy a license to use the creative work, result of his/her expertise and taste.

The latter is also important to understand. You don't buy a "thing" you own, instead you buy a (usually single) license to use the work that is owned by the profile creator.

• no what i'm asking is like if you buy a tone junkie profile for instance , then you turn some knobs , save it , and then is it considered as your own?

I"m mean who can know that you did that.

2nd .. If you profiled an amp with your mics and setups... from an already amp that exist (which can be considered a piece of art as its own) How in earth can they say like " hey u stole my profile from my commercial rig.

Like i stated with my example I see a awesome picture ( AMP) . then i take photo of picture with my cam ( i profile a amp with my setup) and then I say its my pic and resell it.....

I mean.. seems like copyright issues no?

• no what i'm asking is like if you buy a tone junkie profile for instance , then you turn some knobs , save it , and then is it considered as your own?

NO it's still a Tone Junkie profile, in fact it remains written Tone Junkie as Atuhor of that Rig even if you modify it.

If you profiled an amp with your mics and setups...

That makes a profile Your.

If You take a Photo of a Car, .. choosing the right position , light, taking care of any datails, You'll no be the owner of that car but just the owner of that pic.

You can not sell the Car itself but If you find somebody that apprecciate Your pics so much they would buy it.. sell it if you want.

Looks quite simple to me.

The problem begins if you Profile an amp (I mean a complete Rig or even just a part of It) Useing the KPA as The Reference Amp.

If You Profile a KPA with a certain Rig in order to Get ''The Same'' Rig but making it Your, Can You legally sell it? here starts the question in my opinion.

• Well maybe there are here topics allready on it. But I don't understand how its possible to charge money for something that's already exist.

For me i have like 2 ethical questions :

1) if you take a picture of a picture made by a pro photographer is that considered your work???

2)If I resell an purchased profile for kemper and claiming to be my own is that possible considering the fact that the original owner copied it in the first place? So I don't have any plans on the subject but can he sue you or even know about it ???

Both of these are illegal. If you buy a profile then tweak it and resell it, you are still selling a profile created by someone else that sells them. There is a lot that can go into creating a profile. You first have to have access to the amp and cabinet then the mics and whatever preamp you run it though. This also includes the techniques of how you mic up the cabinet and how you refine it.

Taking a picture of a picture and reselling it is also illegal if the picture is copywritten.

• In the US, you can sell just about anything you want as long as it's not a drug or a human being. You can sell "air" for one dollar per cubic inch even though air is free and everywhere. You can sell water for two dollars a bottle. You can even sell your song for one dollar per download (but google gets to keep 91 cents each time).:P

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• When you buy from a commercial seller, you’re entering into an agreement. You agree to pay them, they agree to give you profiles under certain conditions. If you read these conditions, you’ll see that doing the kind of things you’re describing would break those conditions and you’ve then broken a legal contract.

Your first argument is that they ‘stole it’ in the first place by profiling an amp. They’ve stolen nothing - they’ve created a snapshot of a physical thing in the digital world using their skill / cabinets / preamps / ears. They’re selling you their ability at doing that very well with an amp you may not have access to. That’s what you’re buying...... if you still believe this is stealing, your only course of action is to not buy these stolen goods.....

Your next argument of ‘who would know’. If I go into a small shop with no cameras and steal something off the shelf when the sole owner is out the back.... also no-one would know. It is still wrong / still a crime. It’s true that the majority of crimes / wrongdoings in our world go undetected. Society works by having a set of rules that are enforceable when you get caught but largely it works because people do the right thing. Either because they’re scared of getting caught or because they realise that ‘doing the right thing’ is worthy.

Would suggest you ‘do the right thing’ here.