Brian May sound

• Hi

I am, as a lot of others, a big fan of Brian May and his sound aswell as his fantastic playing.

I wonder about how to get close to his sound.

He use an AC30(several) and use a Trebleboster direct after hus Red Special.

Can I ger close by using a good AC30 profile and put a Kemper treblebooster in a slot before the amp or would I benefit from an external treblebooster in front of the amp?

Does a Kemper AC30 amp/profile and a real AC30 react in the same way to an external treble booster?

Mike

• yes, the PROFILER will react to a treblebooster like a tube amp. The treblebooster in STOMPS is very versatile an can be dialed in nicely with it's Tone and Mix controls.
    however, there is so much to Brian May's tone (like this little gem https://fryerguitars.com/deacy-amp/) that it's hardly a matter of just calling up a AC30 and putting a treblebooster in front - on a tube amp or the PROFILER.
    It's a tough nut to crack, many have tried over the decades, I honestly never heard a convincing 'clone' of his tone.

good luck.

• yes, the PROFILER will react to a treblebooster like a tube amp. The treblebooster in STOMPS is very versatile an can be dialed in nicely with it's Tone and Mix controls.
    however, there is so much to Brian May's tone (like this little gem https://fryerguitars.com/deacy-amp/) that it's hardly a matter of just calling up a AC30 and puting a treblebooster in front - on a tube amp or the PROFILER.
    It's a tough nut to crack, many have tried over the decades, I honestly never heard a convincing 'clone' of his tone.

good luck.

I saw an interview with him talking about building his guitar with his dad, including hand wrapping the pickups and doing I don't even remember what with the pots. I've often wondered how much that guitar contributes to his tone. When I first heard the solo on Killer Queen I thought he was using a cocked wah, but when he was giving the interview in front of a wall of AC30s, that filtered sound was there and he was plugged straight into the amps. He also mentioned holding the coin he uses as a pick so loosely that at the end of the night the stage is littered with them.

Brian May is just one of those magical creatures.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I've often wondered how much that guitar contributes to his tone. When I first heard the solo on Killer Queen I thought he was using a cocked wah, but when he was giving the interview in front of a wall of AC30s, that filtered sound was there and he was plugged straight into the amps.

One of his tones that kinda fit your decription is the neck + middle pickup in series with the neck being out of phase.
    "Somebody To Love" and "Bohemian Rhapsody"

however, there is so much to Brian May's tone (like this little gem https://fryerguitars.com/deacy-amp/) that it's hardly a matter of just calling up a AC30 and putting a treblebooster in front - on a tube amp or the PROFILER.

good luck.

What an interesting read.

• One of his tones that kinda fit your decription is the neck + middle pickup in series with the neck being out of phase.

Yeah, that's the signature tone, and that configuration certainly makes sense.

I think on Killer Queen he probably did that and also rolled the tone pot back a bit to darken it up. Doesn't sound as wah / filtered to my ears now, but back then I was a teenager just getting into guitar so my world was very small in terms of tone options.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• One of his tones that kinda fit your decription is the neck + middle pickup in series with the neck being out of phase.

I saw an interview with him last year where he was talking about his guitar rig. He did mention that he never uses just one pickup. It seems like the guitar and the way it is wired along with how he uses the treble boosters is a sort of secret of his. His guitar tech said that they run the treble boosters out at the guitar and they run them as hot as they can and almost to the point of overdriving the wireless belt pack. He has one back in the rack for another purpose. It was a very interesting interview. It was on one of the streaming services I use. I can't remember which one it was on.

• His guitar tech said that they run the treble boosters out at the guitar and they run them as hot as they can and almost to the point of overdriving the wireless belt pack.

interesting. Is the treble booster sensitive to input impedance in a similar way to fuzzes? That could explain putting it in front of the wireless.

• interesting. Is the treble booster sensitive to input impedance in a similar way to fuzzes? That could explain putting it in front of the wireless.

Good question. I know from the show that he uses a specific treble booster and it is put before the wireless pack and that they are very close to overdriving the belt pack with it. They said it took them a good while to get that to work to where he was happy with it. They didn't really go into all of the good details on it. They gave just enough to make a person curious.

• The secret is:

Put an EQ in front of a dirty amp (via a stomp) and the push the two mid faders of the graphic equalizer really hard. Roll down the lows and the presence...

Ignore what it sounds like on its own (which is kinda weird) and just focus on how it sits in the mix

Ignore what it sounds like on its own (which is kinda weird) and just focus on how it sits in the mix

Not weird at all. That's what you have to do on just about every record tone you want to cover. Always sounds better in the mix.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.