Using a Preamp pedal

• Question...I have a preamp pedal that I want to send through the Kemper Powerhead's power section, just like I do with a real tube amp using it's effects loop return. Is that possible? I tried all the ports in the back of the head but could not get a signal. Thanks

• I would just put it throught the Front Input and turn off the Stack section on the KPA unless you want FX from the Kemper in front of the PreAmp pedal.

The other alternative would be to configure one Stomp or FX as a Loop and put the PreAmp in the Loop. That way ypu could use Stomps in front pf the PreAmp and FX after it. As long as the Kemper Stack os turned OFF you will effectively be using it as a multiFX with power amp.

• I would just put it throught the Front Input and turn off the Stack section on the KPA unless you want FX from the Kemper in front of the PreAmp pedal.

The other alternative would be to configure one Stomp or FX as a Loop and put the PreAmp in the Loop. That way ypu could use Stomps in front pf the PreAmp and FX after it. As long as the Kemper Stack os turned OFF you will effectively be using it as a multiFX with power amp.

Thanks! I will give that a shot.

• dacop1313
    there are Mesa 2:Ninety power amp Profiles in the Rig Exchange - might be fun to use these with the preamp ;)

I did those to test a theory that Tube Power amps make the Kemper sound better.

My Triaxis sounds pretty crap straight into the desk or as a Direct Profile. However, when profiled with the 2:Ninety it sounded great. The question in my mind was whether the KPA could capture the impact of the power amp.

I used the Triaxis straight into the 2: ninety driving a single EVM 12L.

I then used the Triaxis into a DA profile of the 2:Ninety and the Kemper power amp with the same speaker. If I recall correctly, I had the Triaxis going into one side of the 2:90 and the EV with the other side going into an FX return on the KPA. Then used an A/B box to change between the two while playing.

To me the Triaxis with 2:ninety profile sounded and felt just as good as Triaxis directly into the 2: ninety (i.e. the KPA captured the power amp very well indeed so no need to use the real 2: ninety ever). Those were my findings others may (and do) have different opinions which is totally fine too.

• dacop1313
    there are Mesa 2:Ninety power amp Profiles in the Rig Exchange - might be fun to use these with the preamp ;)

WOW! Never knew that...interesting. I see there are 8 on them in the Exchange, any difference, preference?

So what do I do with it? Load that profile and put the preamp pedal in front input?

• WOW! Never knew that...interesting. I see there are 8 on them in the Exchange, any difference, preference?

So what do I do with it? Load that profile and put the preamp pedal in front input?

If i remember correctly I profiled them with the volume at different levels to see the effect of power amp distortion. They were done as an experiment rather than as “go to” sounds.

• Bro...these Mesa 2:Ninety power amp Profiles are great! I put a simple Joyo Preamp House pedal in front and in the loop as you suggested above and I was VERY impressed with the results. Just for kicks, I will throw my Helix into the Kemper with that Mesa 2:90 lol. Great job!