Dolphins through the mirror

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Apologies, just didn't have enough time to do anything other than a quick improv tonight thanks to the new Reason 12 becoming totally unstable after taking an age to set up. So here's an exploration of mono and stereo and that's about it.

• You must have been inspired by the video of the trapped dolphin getting chase by alligators in the flooded streets around New Orleans. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Oh and the bass is the top most trusty free 59 Bassman profile from the bass pack with the Yamaha 424, the drums are the 60’s mono preset in superior drummer.

I was trying to get a guitar-centric mix that’s quite well known from the 60s, but hopefully not to the point that it completely drowns out the rest.

I found out in the process that trying to mix just a trio (that becomes a quartet briefly with a single 10 second section of organ early on) is actually much harder than a more dense mix with multiple guitar parts. I had to add all sorts of compression to make sure every part was more even, then dial it back to try and get to to sound lively again. You’d think only mixing three tracks would be easy, but I’m not sure I succeeded.

• Yeah Monkey_Man it's hard to balance when there doesn't seem to be any consensus on mixes listening back then.

Thanks dmatthews you most certainly did, and the bass from center to right and back and the guitar went from mono to stereo to mono too. I liked both mono and retro stereo, couldn't make up my mind so stuck them both in!