Bite the bullet

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So because I seem to have problems with how messy my playing is I'm now starting to practice on this aspect to improve things. This one is in essence a bit of an simple blues exercise on trying to play riffs that have a certain amount of movement around the tempo beat, but just tighter than I usually do and still keep some sense of feel there. I was really disappointed at how many times I needed to redo certain riffs before they sounded right, occasionally it took up to ten takes which took way more time than I'd have liked, but practice will I hope make things a little better over time.

I just fear I may be rhythm deaf (is that a thing?) because so often it feels like I'm playing it right, but then I listen back and it's like "so how many thumbs does this guy have again?". At other times I can tell I'm out but can't seem to adjust fast enough to fix it, my brain hears it but my hands don't want to cooperate.

• Nice one Per, apologies for comparing it again to known stuff. But big portions of this one sound like late 90s U2 to me (and especially the trillions of remixes of their stuff). Bono could easily sing over it. And a nice slide part in it. Very cool :thumbup:8)

• Thanks for checking it out chaps. I'm trying to minimize editing Monkey_Man it's great for constructing structure but if it's fixing performance then it always seems to be a subtractive process, at least when I'm doing it to my own stuff it just never sounds quite as good and it loses the energy.

deadman42 Things like Elevation right? So this is really more trying to emulate the sounds they were copying themselves from Manchester, but that's probably the first exposure you would have had in America to the sound. So if you're interested (I can go on for ages about this stuff, but feel free to skip if you already know it all or couldn't care) it started out back in the rave, electronic and industrial scenes in the 80's which merged together in the Hacienda

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    and inspired a bunch of great acts like The Stone Roses, Charlatans, James, Inspiral Carpets etc. they made so called "baggy" and "Madchester" sounds, mixing guitar and industrial and dance beats. In turn they inspired bigger more commercially successful bands like Oasis and even their southern nemesis Blur (who took influence from in their opening Leisure album and the single "There's No Other Way", coincidentally also inspired by my cousins band Jesus Jones), it also then fed back and influenced the dance scene and the big beat sound of the Chemical Brothers and Prodigy. By the time U2 were doing Zooropa they were I'll be honest considered the previous generations music, dad-rock of the day and copying a sound that was already outdated, however listening in retrospect I really enjoy a lot of stuff on that Album. It was a solid move and I think pretty successful even if not with us snobby young-un's and there are some really nicely crafted tracks, it's hard to argue with Bono's insane vocal talent and voice that never seems to age and the solid work the rest of the band did. Anyhow, for me I was thinking more about Happy Mondays and Stone Roses on this particular track, as well as earlier on yesterday I had been listening to Sgt Pepper and noticed just how low and menacing that bass is on the reprise.

Edited once, last by Per ().