Another mix assignment completed for grade.

• Starbuck began as a string-skipping exercise that I turned into a song back in Jan 2020. It was one of the songs that my mother-in-law liked me to play for her when she visited. She freaked when I did rock or metal. She is here now for a few weeks for Hurricane Ida so I thought it a good time to add drums and bass track for her. No solo (she can't handle it) :D Just easy-listening and somewhat boring but I had to please her.

Please critique. I think the bass is a little too strong and I would have liked a better ending for the drums but it seems to work for now. I really need a real bass guitar.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Nice voicings there. I’m afraid I can’t comment too much on the bass as I’m listening on my iPad which doesn’t have the best bass response. You don’t have to use the double tracker unless you feel it fits. Build the track up with more sounds only if you feel it’s right for that moment of the track.

For me there’s sections where it sounds like in your mind you’re hearing it build up, then be huge, then fall back. But before you add more tracks try making the drums do some of the work. Right now the drums being a single pattern all the way through is what’s working against the energy of the guitar. If the drums started to punch up at the bridge, got going into the chorus, fell back for the verse you might find that you’re most of the way there.

• Thanks Per. I can feel I am getting close with each try and understanding mixing in general a lot more each time. I'd probably be better off to stick with one song and just keep mixing it until I do it right, but that is so boring! LOL and I have so much material I want to work on.

I have quite a few metal songs I plan to mix next and those drum fills will test my virtual drum knowledge for sure.

• Thanks Per. I can feel I am getting close with each try and understanding mixing in general a lot more each time. I'd probably be better off to stick with one song and just keep mixing it until I do it right, but that is so boring! LOL and I have so much material I want to work on.

I have quite a few metal songs I plan to mix next and those drum fills will test my virtual drum knowledge for sure.

just wanted to pop in and say that no, it’s absolutely better to switch songs rather than keep mixing the same song over and over as you are doing :)

• I really love the clean guitar tone

I used the '59 neck on my Charvel for that one. ;)

You ain't heard nothing yet. I combined my Mimiq Doubler yesterday with the new Kemper Double Tracker and got all goobbly-goo over it. LOL. Coming soon.

• Nice mix overall , the bass is nice on my monitors , did you use your guitar and a down octaver ? A few fills here and then could add a bit of change , but that's just me , I always do this kind of fills ( ebow , pads , muted notes , counter melody ...)

I highly recommend using a real bass , like a mustang bass , really suited to guitarists.

Yep it's best to start a new track when you're bored by working on a mix for so long.

• I used my Charvel with TB bridge and the Transpose stomp with one of the bass profiles in RM for the bass track. I would like to get a PJ type bass since I am now hooked on mixing. Maybe even a cheapo Squire for the time being.