Double Tracker

• Should this also be used to fatten up leads ? make them sound les thin ?

Raf

You could try it and see how it works out. But I can't think of a time where I would double track a traditional solo type lead though. Despite the immediate wow factor when double tracking stuff, there are often downsides and that can be punchiness. Like a good, punchy, fat vocal, lead guitar often has the most impact when mono (maybe some stereo effects such as delay though). Double tracking and panning have the effect of pushing it away, creating space and air.

I would be most likely to use it for massive sounding riffs, chords and cleans.

• While I agree for that to be true for using this particular effect, many guitarists from Randy Rhoads to Dimebag and Zakk Wylde did double track solos occasionally.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Absolutely, i certainly wasn't saying that you shouldn't use it on solos, only suggesting that it wouldn't necessarily fatten up a lead like the Roeffel asked.

• Absolutely, i certainly wasn't saying that you shouldn't use it on solos, only suggesting that it wouldn't necessarily fatten up a lead like the Roeffel asked.

Besider lead or solo boost what's the best practice ?

also use cut the mix btw ...

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I spent a good four hours straight with this last night. Clean sounds it's a great effect, rock and heavy rhythm sounds it's nearly a must-have. For my lead tone it's going to be used like a stomp box. It just made the lead and solo parts sound almost too...I don't know....non-specific for lack of a better way to put it. I found it hard to give a lead part that up front and spotlighted feel with DT on, but it was super cool for effect. And again, my heavy rhythm tone will likely never have it turned off ever again.

Just a guy who plays a little bit of guitar.

• The only thing that is really missing with the DT is the ability to adjust the left and right output levels so you can balance the stereo effect and not have more volume loaded to one side. The Mimiq suffers the same thing when plugged into a single amp. It's pretty easy to compensate with Kemper when running stereo outs and using your gain knobs on your interface or using separate left and right tracks in your DAW and their individual volume levels. Probably a bit of a challenge when playing DT live and not having a mixer.

It is a freakin awesome addition! More so for me since I am using my Mimiq and DT for quad-tracking. And watching the input levels on my Motu M4 is really freaky too with the DT's because you can actually see the meters fighting for each track. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• After using the DT on everything from a brutal, gain-soaked Death Metal rhythm tone, to Fender cleans & everything in-between, that effect will never be switched off ever again. Ever.

I'm so used to chorusing, delays, reverbs & all of that to widen a single guitar sound to be big & wide...with limited results. Along comes Kemper and completely changes the game. Again. IT IS INCREDIBLE.

• After using the DT on everything from a brutal, gain-soaked Death Metal rhythm tone, to Fender cleans & everything in-between, that effect will never be switched off ever again. Ever.

I'm so used to chorusing, delays, reverbs & all of that to widen a single guitar sound to be big & wide...with limited results. Along comes Kemper and completely changes the game. Again. IT IS INCREDIBLE.

Kewl. What settings are you using for high gain chugging?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Kewl. What settings are you using for high gain chugging?

There ya go, good sir. This is the setting I've used for the last three days. A few others have posted theirs - tried them all - but the tone became very "phase-y" or artificial, like some old Line 6 piece of gear from 2000.

Through in-ears, it becomes something truly special. A guitar at nine o'clock & another at three o'clock? Never heard anything like that! FYI: I have Pure Cabinet on 10, globally. I want to hear the amp-in-the-room sound, not the miked-up one. It just sounds more raw & authentic to me. Dunno if that makes any difference, but full disclosure! ?

• Thank you! I tend to favor a bit of pure cab in the inears too, however is there a way to not send that to FOH then?

• I played with it last night both stereo through spdif and mono through XLR main outs. Overall much less impressive in mono which is to be expected. Even considering that, I'd likely put it on all my rigs if I could for that extra secret sauce sound. However, I don't want to sacrifice my post amp slots. I almost always need a boost, chorus, delay, and reverb (I play in an 80s Cover band, it is a must)

+1 to the idea of adding this as an effect in the output section if DSP allows

• The only thing that is really missing with the DT is the ability to adjust the left and right output levels so you can balance the stereo effect and not have more volume loaded to one side.

I played with Negative and over 100% stereo settings and had this kind of behavior , so the feature is already here to me :)

Try minus 50 for instance , tone is more prominent on the right side

• Today I finally got time to load my first ever Beta because of the Double Tracker. I found that 100% stereo and 5.0 gave the most natural sound and would be good in a live situation. Too tight and I hear phasing occasionally.

I have a TC Mimiq and I think the Kemper effect is at least as good, if not better. The benefit of not using an extra pedal is good anyway.

The beta did behave strangely when I tried to save a rig. Using the Kemper front panel saved a new patch instead of overwriting and eventually locked until I rebooted.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I´ve also tested the Doubletracker. Basically it comes very close to the Mimiq, but I also have this "pulsating" sound (the right side gets quieter from time to time).

I also noticed that when you change rigs there is a strong pulsation, as if you were playing over a leslie-box for a few seconds. I copied the default crunch rig and switched it back and forth. The DTRK was in default mode (looseness 5.0, stereo 100%, detune 0.0 cent).

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I´ve also tested the Doubletracker. Basically it comes very close to the Mimiq, but I also have this "pulsating" sound (the right side gets quieter from time to time).

I also noticed that when you change rigs there is a strong pulsation, as if you were playing over a leslie-box for a few seconds. I copied the default crunch rig and switched it back and forth. The DTRK was in default mode (looseness 5.0, stereo 100%, detune 0.0 cent).

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That could be the phasing issue that happens with DT's and it can happen when strumming harder. Try using a compressor, or add the Chromatic Delay Double Tracker preset with the right side at 13ms or less (the side that gets quieter) and 0ms on the left side., or try a very light Chorus instead around 1.4.

In DAW, you would just invert the wave signal on the left or right track.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• That could be the phasing issue that happens with DT's and it can happen when strumming harder. Try using a compressor, or add the Chromatic Delay Double Tracker preset with the right side at 13ms or less (the side that gets quieter) and 0ms on the left side., or try a very light Chorus instead around 1.4.

In DAW, you would just invert the wave signal on the left or right track.

Did you listen to the sample posted? None of that is helpful for this problem. This is clearly an issue that should be looked at.