Can't tune/calibrate the guitar down 1/2 step to Eb with tuner?

• Hello, maybe a dumb question but I would like to tune the guitar down 1/2 step to Eb (as we call it), true we are actually lowering concert pitch from A=440 to A♭ ( approximately 415.3 Hz).

What I don't see and maybe its not a feature(?) but when I go into tuner mode and move the reference pitch down it only stops at A = 424.0

That is quite short of the freq for Ab=415.3, what gives? lol

Do I really have to use my Peterson tuner which calibrates amazingly great to any key/fq of choice?

*BTW, yes I tried the TRANSPOSE effect in slot A that I read most of you guys doing but there is a noticeable/unusable latency that I can not afford to use as I am recording, not playing live at the moment.
    :)

• Well, anyhow... That is my future update request fwiw. Would be a great function. Especially in performance mode, a differently calibration for a different patch. Just dreaming, thx guys ??

• *BTW, yes I tried the TRANSPOSE effect in slot A that I read most of you guys doing but there is a noticeable/unusable latency that I can not afford to use as I am recording, not playing live at the moment.
    :)

I've tried transpose and can feel the latency as well (some are less sensitive to this than others). In a live situation I could probably live with it for a song here and there, but if I was doing the whole gig in a lower tuning I would just tune the guitar, and would certainly do so in a recording situation where I didn't have to worry about a live audience waiting for me to tune.

While it's not my code to talk about it seems to me that if pitch shifting down a half step via transpose introduces latency then it wouldn't matter if they implemented it in the tuner as I'm guessing it would have a similar delay. Probably related to processing time, i.e. it takes as long as it takes, but that's just speculation.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I've tried transpose and can feel the latency as well (some are less sensitive to this than others). In a live situation I could probably live with it for a song here and there, but if I was doing the whole gig in a lower tuning I would just tune the guitar, and would certainly do so in a recording situation where I didn't have to worry about a live audience waiting for me to tune.

While it's not my code to talk about it seems to me that if pitch shifting down a half step via transpose introduces latency then it wouldn't matter if they implemented it in the tuner as I'm guessing it would have a similar delay. Probably related to processing time, i.e. it takes as long as it takes, but that's just speculation.

aww well as far as the tuner goes, I was not relating to the usage of both tuner and transpose at same time...

Just thinking about a designated axe in Eb and one in regular standard tuning. But yeah when recording in Eb, not so much a big deal (maybe it's just me lol)

but I hate having to rethink the flat notes, especially in a live situation.

All good, I have peterson tuners that transpose and I'll probably just have to anchor it down on the pedal board alongside the Kemper... Lol it's only rock n roll.... ??

• I do my best to avoid thinking in live situations. It only leads to trouble. :)

That’s why I think the current behaviour is the best way to do things.

If I want to tune to Eb all the notes have a b added to them so it is easy to see exactly what I am tuning to.

On the other hand, transposing the tuner itself to Eb but showing an E creates a real danger of tuning to the wrong the wrong key.

So, the tuner is set to Eb and I forget that in the heat of the moment on stage, I pick up a guitar that should be in E (not Eb) and check my tuning. I see the low E string is tuned to F!

Shit!

panic!

Quick retune while everyone waits staring at me.

All good now lets go.

Hits first chord and I’m a semi tone below the rest of the band. ?

Surely, nobody could be that stupid? I’ve done worse on stage in the past so I wouldn’t discount it.

Anybody, accidentally left the transpose FX and started the next song then spent half the song trying to figure out why everything sounds so bad and everyone is staring at them? No? Oh shit, maybe I really am just stupid ?

• Hits first chord and I’m a semi tone below the rest of the band. ?

Back in the early 80s I had a 70s Strat that wasn't entirely stable (much like my love life). Was in NY and had a winter restaurant gig in a finished porch area, so it was still fairly cold even with space heaters. We set up, I tuned the guitar, we did a sound check, I put the guitar on the stand and then we ate dinner before the gig.

I pick up the guitar and hit a couple of chords with the volume off. Still in tune, all good. First song starts, I turn up and hit a chord only to realize that the guitar is in fact in perfect tune - a semitone off from the rest of the band.

There may have been profanity.

So, I'm perfectly capable of screwing up even if the tuner doesn't lie to me. Probably shouldn't press my luck.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• There are 2 types of tuners ( generally). Fixed tuner where you tune to a pitch - these are virtually non existent now and can;t do alternate tunings. i remember trying to tune a semi tone down but getting the needle to the far left...These have been superceeded by digital chromatic tuners.

I've always preferred a chromatic approach than moving the fixed point of a fixed tuner, BUT I can;t imagine that making this an option for other users is that hard.

• I have been asking for this since I got the Kemper. It sure helped when they changed it to read Eb instead of D#. For me I ALWAYS play in Eb. What I wanted (and would still like to have) was basically what my Digitech 1101 did. It let you globally tune the whole unit in half steps, so when you hit your E string, (which was actually a Eb note) the tuner read E. A string read A etc. (It had cent adjustment too in between that) It helped a lot when using the harmonizer too so I didn't have to figure the offset in when making custom scales or what key to use. If If I was harmonizing to what we all know as an E major chord, I didn't have to figure the scale around D# But E. I loved that. I was real surprised global offset tuning wasn't offered with the kemper, but I've worked around it with other devices before I had the 1101. Not a deal breaker by any means, just something I guessed would be pretty easy to offer. A few of us went round and round about this before they changed the b/# thing.

• I have been asking for this since I got the Kemper. It sure helped when they changed it to read Eb instead of D#. For me I ALWAYS play in Eb. What I wanted (and would still like to have) was basically what my Digitech 1101 did. It let you globally tune the whole unit in half steps, so when you hit your E string, (which was actually a Eb note) the tuner read E. A string read A etc. (It had cent adjustment too in between that) It helped a lot when using the harmonizer too so I didn't have to figure the offset in when making custom scales or what key to use. If If I was harmonizing to what we all know as an E major chord, I didn't have to figure the scale around D# But E. I loved that. I was real surprised global offset tuning wasn't offered with the kemper, but I've worked around it with other devices before I had the 1101. Not a deal breaker by any means, just something I guessed would be pretty easy to offer. A few of us went round and round about this before they changed the b/# thing.

Yeah should be relatively easy to have custom tunes etc