using the profiler Power Head in conjunction with a non powered stereo cab

• At home I ususally rehearse with a mixer to 2 powered monitors. Two inputs on the mixer are fed with the Direct Output and the Monitor Output of my Powerhead for stereo out. Perfect stereo sound.

I also have a stereo 2-12 ENGL cab but these connections don't work this way with a powerhead , even when Monitor Stereo is checked in Output Source in the Output Section (on page 1/9). No sound WSE!

So do I need an extra poweramp then when I want to use such a stereo cab on stage?

• I would not go tube. The Kemper’s isn’t.

Duncan Powerstage 170/200/700 are popular choices.

No, the Kemper isn't but many claim to not hear the difference between a profiled all valve Marshall and the the original.

Maybe you have seen youtubes of The Captain and Rob Chappers (both from Andertons Music Co, Guilford England in which they compare the profiled sounds of Kemper and the original amps. Here's an example:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=can+kemper+save+chappers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6AwTp4ZUm0

So why choose for a solid state if you can have all valve? Sound colouring..?

• There’s also one floating around where both Rob and the Captain said the Kemper was their favorite real amp when a/b testing.

Tubes are finicky, expensive and comparatively fragile. Class D amps are none of those things.

I also find the argument of ‘differences’ pointless. You can’t make a Marshall sound like a dead-on Twin, Vox or any other amp.

But the Kemper can be all of that and so much more.

I don’t mean to sound annoyed, I’m really not. But writing doesn’t have voice inflection or body language.

If what you’re after is the real thing, then buy that. The Kemper is so much more than a clone machine.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• Thanks for your clear response. OK, so it will be a solid state amp and the Seymour Duncan types seem to be good choices. I read that the 170 doesn't really make the difference so I'm aiming at the 200 or the 700. I know the 700 is stereo but there is no info about the 200 for this.

Since my ENGL cab is stereo I prefer stereo.

• I would question the benefits of Stereo in a single cab though...seems overkill.

Most stereo cabs can be run in mono ( which I'm sure you know).

Yes, you have a point there. My stereo ENGLE cab can indeed set to mono.

But I have more cabs so I can create room between them. In my pre Powerhead life I did this a long time ago with 2 Mesa Boogie cabs and one of the speaker cables out of phase. Sounded amazing in stereo.

Anway, I have more possibilities with such a stereo power amp and my other stuff besides my Powerhead, like my Boss GT100...

• Sometimes I use a Marshall 8008 valvestate. It can work mono or stereo, linear or valvstate (I prefer Linear)

Would be an option too but this power amp has been discontinued eversince 2018. It seems however that they still are around in the used market. It seems to be reliable, cheap, light and it's a stereo power amp so definitely worth trying. Thanks.

• Yes, you have a point there. My stereo ENGLE cab can indeed set to mono.

But I have more cabs so I can create room between them. In my pre Powerhead life I did this a long time ago with 2 Mesa Boogie cabs and one of the speaker cables out of phase. Sounded amazing in stereo.

Anway, I have more possibilities with such a stereo power amp and my other stuff besides my Powerhead, like my Boss GT100...

Each to their own.

I have also previous run stereo in my ADA/Quadraverb days, with ping pong delays and enormous sound...which then promptly disappeared once the band joined in..

I swapped it out for a Laney GH100L, no reverb let alone effects.....cut through like a razor.

I have no doubt stereo can sound great and cut within a band context, but I would just consider:

1) What is the point of a Powerhead if you want to run stereo? So you could sell and just get a Stage. I have a Powerhead because of the power amp.

2) This is monitor only. You FOH can still be stereo. Yes, we all want to hear the best sound on stage but does it need to be exact

3) You bring in another variable. If valve, this will not come out in FOH, defeating point 2

4) Extra set up time, cabling, cost etc

5) You mentioned you did stereo across 2 cabs before, this is different than within one cab where the separation is inches. Separate cabs allow you to get better separation and therefore stereo.

• Would be an option too but this power amp has been discontinued eversince 2018. It seems however that they still are around in the used market. It seems to be reliable, cheap, light and it's a stereo power amp so definitely worth trying. Thanks.

I have 2 of them, recently paid 90 €/each ..just to say.

80watt per channel makes it loud enought.

I guess, if connected to 2 4x12 or to 2 2x12, you dont have any problem with volume on stage.