Kemper -> Scarlett 8I6 -> Reaper via SPDIF

• I am running my Kemper SPDIF out to my Scarlett 8I6 SPDIF in. From there I have my sample rate set to 96kHz and my clock source set to SPDIF in Focusrite control. On the Kemper I have Input set to "front" and SPDIF Output set to "stack" with SPDIFclock set to 96kHz.

In Reaper I have Audio system set to "ASIO" -> Audio Driver set to "Focusrite USB ASIO". Reaper Inputs are set to input [first] 7: SPDIF 1] and [last] 8: SPDIF 2]. Reaper Outputs are [first] 1: Output 1] and [last] 2: Output 2]. Request sample rate set to 96kHz and request block size set to 512.

I have inserted a new track in Reaper and selected SPDIF1+SPDIF2 as my IN FX or input I'm assuming? The problem I am having being as I like pristine clear audio is that my recording and sound is really muddy and muffled. I have tried everything I know to do in an attempt to get as clear of a distorted guitar tone as possible with no luck. I am very new to recording, using a Kemper and a Scarlett. If anyone has any suggestions or tips I would greatly appreciate it. I will have a link to a video showing the tone I am currently getting. Thanks

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Set SPDIF to Git Studio and see how it sounds. You also should double check the Focusrite Control program to make sure levels and routing is okay.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Set SPDIF to Git Studio and see how it sounds. You also should double check the Focusrite Control program to make sure levels and routing is okay.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I do think the levels and routing could possibly be part of my problem to because it seems like my guitar levels are really high in Reaper, however being new to recording I'm not sure where that needs to be adjusted. Is it in the Kemper somewhere, the Focusrite Control or Reaper? Sorry for all the questions, thanks again for the help.

• No problem. Your track recording level knobs and Master Volume knob in Reaper should be at their default level "Volume: 0.00db". Make sure Profile volume and rig levels in Kemper are "0.0db".

I am not sure if your Focusrite Control UI allows you to adjust the volume/gain of the SPDIF (like how you adjust gain of the TS input on the interface) signal but you just want make sure that when you play or record in DAW to keep the meters from going over (-6db) to keep some headroom. I believe Kemper SPDIF is all line level so no reason to adjust. If you are still too loud coming out of Kemper then you may have to adjust the Clean Sens and Dist Sens levels on the Kemper Input page. If you play and record anywhere in between -12 to -6db then you are okay.

Also make sure the Input and Output LEDs on Kemper stay green. Check all that out and you should be good to go.

• No problem. Your track recording level knobs and Master Volume knob in Reaper should be at their default level "Volume: 0.00db". Make sure Profile volume and rig levels in Kemper are "0.0db".

I am not sure if your Focusrite Control UI allows you to adjust the volume/gain of the SPDIF (like how you adjust gain of the TS input on the interface) signal but you just want make sure that when you play or record in DAW to keep the meters from going over (-6db) to keep some headroom. I believe Kemper SPDIF is all line level so no reason to adjust. If you are still too loud coming out of Kemper then you may have to adjust the Clean Sens and Dist Sens levels on the Kemper Input page. If you play and record anywhere in between -12 to -6db then you are okay.

Also make sure the Input and Output LEDs on Kemper stay green. Check all that out and you should be good to go.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! I adjusted everything and all I am getting is a clean tone out of my headphones. I have a 6505 profile selected so I'm missing something.

Edit: Also I am only running one SPDIF cable right now from the SPDIF Out of the Kemper to the SPDIF In of the Scarlett 8I6.

• I don't have my Profiler on right now, but if you are getting only a clean sound out headphone when using a dirty profile then it sounds like you need to set the output of the headphone correctly. I suggest you download and read the manual on the Output Section and also view the video tutorials *there's over 50 of them)...

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

https://www.kemper-amps.com/video#a-videos-tutorials#a-videos-tutorials

• I don't have my Profiler on right now, but if you are getting only a clean sound out headphone when using a dirty profile then it sounds like you need to set the output of the headphone correctly. I suggest you download and read the manual on the Output Section and also view the video tutorials *there's over 50 of them)...

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

https://www.kemper-amps.com/video#a-videos-tutorials#a-videos-tutorials

I appreciate it! Will do, the manual that came with it just barely covers the basic and I have just downloaded the complete manual and will check out the videos as well. Thanks again!