Kemper Kab/Kone

• Still trying to dial in the Kemper Kab/Kone...Running it with my Powerhead...finding the V30 and Greenback 25 imprints are VERY bright. I have all of the settings/buttons correct....But there is a harsh bright -ice-picky tone form some of the imprints. I've tried Graphic EQ block, can't seem to find the right freq to "dial out"...also tried low-high pass filter...shelfing anything above 8900 HZ...Seems to be somewhere between 4 -5500HZ? Any suggestions? This is for high -gain profiles.. For instance, I also have a 1x12 V30 cab, and when I A/B the Kone to the reg cab (V-30 Imprint..) it is not even close....And it seems that the Green back 25 imprint has no "warmth" to it, sounds a little less harsh and bright than the V-30...I know thie Kone Kab won't be exact, but it is a bit "edgy- harsh on many of the imprints.. ... Suggestions? Is there a Parametric EQ setting within the blocks that allows me to selct frequencies to boost or cut? I'm not finding it..Is it there and I don't see it? I feel liek I'm so close to dialing it in, btut there's this ice -picky freq that is "painful" at any signifcant volume.. Thansk!

• I have to be honest, I tried those Kone speakers and they went back the next day. I get better results with the Celestion F12-x200 FRFR speakers or just running the power head into a real cabinet with CAB off on the head.

• Have you checked the profile itself? What I mean is that guitar cabs add so much "colour" that they cover up profiles...in fact they smooth so much out.

When I changed from a guitar cab ( ironically with V30's in but the same is true with all regular speakers) to FRFR, I had to ditch all my profiles because they had been tweaked to sound brighter to overcome the cab.

Second thing to check is ensure you are playing at volume.

Finally, is that such a bad thing in a band context? Make sure you run with the band rather than on your own.

• Good feedback for sure. I jump back and forth between Kab and Cab. Ensure you are playing at volume? Meaning loud enough to hear all the nuances of the sound (highs, lows, etc)? When gigging are you in FRFR mode using mic cab capture or imprint mode (perhaps IR's as well)? Just curious love tone talk. :)

• Thanks for the response..all good info.. Yes..although, the only thing I've done previously on my profiles is turn the Presence up a nothch or 2 on everything to overcome that "Blamnket over the speaker" kind of thing... Excellent point about volume, as I find most of my profiles are a bit dull at bedroom volume, but the minute you get at band volume/playing with other people, PLENTY of presence and treble etc.... So, obvioulsy at low volume, the presence gets tuned up a "smidge". I have the original profiles purchased, as well as my "edited" version of those, so I have gone back to load the orignal (I like a high gain tone, yet articulate, just enough gain to sing, but not too much where it gets lost...So, in short, I'm trying to "warm it up" a bit...Just having trouble finding that freq to cut,,, The Kab sounds impressively better the louder you get (Band volume), and though it's only a 1x12, it's pretty big sounding..That brightness becomes more and more unbearable the louder I get (..ice pickto my eyeball.)...Is there not a parametric eq offering within the kemper that allows me to select any frequency to bust or cut? (The "High cut" feature doesn't help...if I bring the high cut to that obnoxious 4-5500HZ, I lose ALL definition... Hence parametric needed..) Is it in there and I'm not seeing it?

• Good feedback for sure. I jump back and forth between Kab and Cab. Ensure you are playing at volume? Meaning loud enough to hear all the nuances of the sound (highs, lows, etc)? When gigging are you in FRFR mode using mic cab capture or imprint mode (perhaps IR's as well)? Just curious love tone talk. :)

Yes! Definitely turning it up, and going back and fourth between my recto 412 (V30), Peavey 112(V30), and the Kab (V30 Imprint..) for reference..I am not looking to acheive 100% accuracy, just within the realm of simialr feel & tone...primarilly it's just somewhere in the high-end (4-5500 HZ)?? To answer your 2nd question, my signal to the board/PA is direct and sound amazing, but like the bounce and air movement of a guitar cab at band volume vs monitor (FRFR). All of my profiles (I primarilly use 4-6 total) I use are done with V-30, or V30 OS cab, so they work wonderfully thry my cabs live (Cab function off to monitor), ZERO issues..I am getting into other styles and tones, have some great new Marshall and friedman, ohh and Fender profiles that are just heavenly, but do not sound great through the V30 cab, hence the Kone : ).. I feel like I'm really close to getting there,,, just got ot tweak and find the ice -pick freq of death to remove.....

• I cannot make the Kabinet sound good with Greenback profiles either. I play mainly Greenback-equipped Marshall Bluesbreakers and 50w Plexis and the sound through the Kabinet (both in FRFR mode and with Greenback imprints) just doesn't sound right. Boomy and shrill. The sound is very far away from what I hear through monitor speakers and headphones, I even thought my Kone might have been broken.

But when I went to Fender 59 Bassman profiles (in many ways the same amp as the Bluesbreaker) that use a cab filled with Jensen P10Rs, it sounded really good through the cab. Both imprint and FRFR. I still don't get it. The Kabinet seems to be good for some profiles and useless for others. It's a shame since I prefer my Greenback profiles...

• I cannot make the Kabinet sound good with Greenback profiles either. I play mainly Greenback-equipped Marshall Bluesbreakers and 50w Plexis and the sound through the Kabinet (both in FRFR mode and with Greenback imprints) just doesn't sound right. Boomy and shrill. The sound is very far away from what I hear through monitor speakers and headphones, I even thought my Kone might have been broken.

But when I went to Fender 59 Bassman profiles (in many ways the same amp as the Bluesbreaker) that use a cab filled with Jensen P10Rs, it sounded really good through the cab. Both imprint and FRFR. I still don't get it. The Kabinet seems to be good for some profiles and useless for others. It's a shame since I prefer my Greenback profiles...

I feel you!!

• ....duhhhhhhhhhhh.....I found it, and for some reason it didn't load up properly the first time around..(..user error I'm sure...) and I wasn't getting the adjustable freq that I now am... This should allow me to identify and squash it. Thanks.

Please post some tweaks and results if you have time. Thanks!

• Please post some tweaks and results if you have time. Thanks!

On the high-end..seems like 3700HZ (dropping to -10DB) did the trick ( I can crank the Kab now even louder...) I also do some dropped tuning stuff (Primarilly)..160HZ @ -4 DB cleaned up the low end woof/muddyness. Sweet! I'm sure this will be a starting point for some of my other guitars ( some are bassier and or brighter than others..) Studio EQ! This is just for the high gain stuff (Profiled my own Boogie MK IV through Recto OS V30 cab). I'm sure the 25Greenback will be a diffrent frequency. Pretty easy...

• The Studio EQ is a parametric EQ

A bit off topic but I need clarification of the differences of EQ.

A Graphic EQ has fixed frequency selection and a fixed Q for width. A Parametric EQ allows selectable frequencies and selectable Q width.

Correct?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.