Rapid Boot & emergency profile

• Perhaps when switching on the unit, we could either:

Assign a default profile to work when tuner is first selected until the unit finishes loading.

Make the first performance available (and restricted to only that performance) while the rest of the unit loads.

If we use a single default profile assignment, that might also be available on a long press or button combination for on-stage recovery. Maybe pressing Input and Output at the same time could activate the "emergency" profile.

• Yes, I'm asking it to be ready for some sound in the shortest time possible regardless of total number of profiles loaded. If there's a power glitch during a live performance, it's best to have some sound as opposed to no sound.

• This is a good idea, if it's possible (Kemper?). That way no matter how many profiles you had on your KPA, you could at least finish a song before getting the unit back to its normal state.

• You guys are aware that a normal tube amp takes time to start playing sound also, correct?

Also, as I stated before, you can minimize boot times by cleaning out the profiles you don't use.

So - you are saying that it would not be useful if a tube amp could start up faster after going down in the middle of a song?

Just because old tech can't do something does not mean new tech can't improve on it.

• I don't think the audience would expect you to finish a song during a power failure. I believe they would want you to start over. Whether it takes one sip or 4 sips of beer before you are up and running again should not make a difference unless you are playing at a biker's club.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I don't think the audience would expect you to finish a song during a power failure. I believe they would want you to start over. Whether it takes one sip or 4 sips of beer before you are up and running again should not make a difference unless you are playing at a biker's club.

You're presuming it was a whole stage power failure and not just the guitar, and not necessarily power failure but any intentional or accidental reboot. Something glitches and puts the Kemper in an error state and you need to reboot to clear it, for example.

Kind of surprised so much objection to suggestion of "make it quick to pass sound" -- if you were shopping for a device and X booted in a minute but Y booted in 10 seconds, that might be the competitive advantage.

I get it that you might not be willing to pay more for the feature, and for large professional touring acts there will be backup units and power management and roadies, etc...

But I figured if the Kemper is basically a computer (it is) and if it boots faster with fewer profiles, why not stage the boot process so it gets slot 1 up and running ASAP then finishes loading the rest? It may not be a "simple matter of programming", but it is only a matter of programming.

• My Kemper is on pretty much 10-12 hours a day and 7 days a week. Never has it shut down or rebooted in error. If someone shut it down intentionally then they wouldn't have any fingers left.

Even a computer takes time to recover from a error and boot up to Safe Mode.

I'm curious if the Kemper ever accidentally rebooted on anyone during a performance. I've never heard of it.

• I can understand the requirement, but I think it isn't a feasible request. The thing is, the profiler needs to load all kinds of things before it can even "play" a profile. It isn't like the profile file itself is sufficient, there is a lot of other software coding involved.

Machine code (the hardware code) is generally instantaneous. It's the OS that manipulates the database that has to get loaded that takes the time. It has to do system checks and all that stuff so not to corrupt the database. If you remove all rigs except for your performances for a live show then you will have the most stable state of the profiler. and the fastest load times.

• You're presuming it was a whole stage power failure and not just the guitar, and not necessarily power failure but any intentional or accidental reboot. Something glitches and puts the Kemper in an error state and you need to reboot to clear it, for example.

Kind of surprised so much objection to suggestion of "make it quick to pass sound" -- if you were shopping for a device and X booted in a minute but Y booted in 10 seconds, that might be the competitive advantage.

I get it that you might not be willing to pay more for the feature, and for large professional touring acts there will be backup units and power management and roadies, etc...

But I figured if the Kemper is basically a computer (it is) and if it boots faster with fewer profiles, why not stage the boot process so it gets slot 1 up and running ASAP then finishes loading the rest? It may not be a "simple matter of programming", but it is only a matter of programming.

The only points people are making is questioning the need as there is a list of improvements and this seems pretty low. Of course anyone wants stuff faster, louder better but is it worth the effort.

With regards to quick booting I suspect ( but worth asking the question) that majority of the boot up time is not related to profile volumes ( but easy to test). As mentioned before the minimum boot time by definition is the profiler with 1 profile.

• Stage boots 3x faster than Toaster / Rack. Would be great to have instantaneous boot, but KPA is pretty stable - it just doesn't reboot itself. The only situation when that happened to me is when too much MIDI information is sent to it (for example: when you scrub a project in DAW and have MIDI Chase enabled). Otherwise solid as a rock - you have much bigger chances to experience full stage power loss than KPA going bad in its own. Power glitch which affects just one devices on stage is very unlikely (typically on stage there is a metric ton of gear connected to the same circuit), unless you kick the plug or KPA unit itself - don't do that :)

• Stage boots 3x faster than Toaster / Rack. Would be great to have instantaneous boot, but KPA is pretty stable - it just doesn't reboot itself. The only situation when that happened to me is when too much MIDI information is sent to it (for example: when you scrub a project in DAW and have MIDI Chase enabled). Otherwise solid as a rock - you have much bigger chances to experience full stage power loss than KPA going bad in its own. Power glitch which affects just one devices on stage is very unlikely (typically on stage there is a metric ton of gear connected to the same circuit), unless you kick the plug or KPA unit itself - don't do that :)

The only reboot I had was when the power lead fell out mid solo!

I spend more time diagnosing than rebooting...

• I've been told lately that my Profiler freezing is related to a bad cable. Have had issues due to (I suspect) MIDI data overload or screwed up MIDI stream, too.

I wouldn't say this deserves top of the list attention, but if there's ever effort in the start-up area of the code.... would be nice if Preset #1 started making sound while the rest of them were loading.