Sound of Steve Stevens in Legends Tribute Collection II

• Hi.
    In the rig of Steve Stevens there is a kind of pitch shifter in Slot Mod.
    What exactly does this effect?
    And usually you put a pitch shifter at the beginning of the signal chain?
    Maybe someone can explain why this effect in exact this rig.

• And usually you put a pitch shifter at the beginning of the signal chain?

Usually, yes, because the signal at the beginning of the chain is cleaner, making it easier for the pitch shifter to detect its pitch. However, as far as I can tell, the Kemper always detects the pitch from the clean input signal, regardless of where in the chain the pitch shifter is placed. And if you want to create a "two guitars playing in harmony" effect, for instance, it's better to double the signal after it's been through the amp's overdrive, so it sounds like two independent guitars and amps, than to double up the notes and send them through the same amp together.

• the classic harmonizer sound (Steve Vai with a H3000) is the harmonization taking place post amp

Yes. Otherwise a fifth would turn into a power chord'ish sound.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Usually, yes, because the signal at the beginning of the chain is cleaner, making it easier for the pitch shifter to detect its pitch. However, as far as I can tell, the Kemper always detects the pitch from the clean input signal, regardless of where in the chain the pitch shifter is placed. And if you want to create a "two guitars playing in harmony" effect, for instance, it's better to double the signal after it's been through the amp's overdrive, so it sounds like two independent guitars and amps, than to double up the notes and send them through the same amp together.

Ok.

So the job of the pitch shift in the mentioned rig (Steve Stevens) is to double the guitar (or let it sound "fatter")?

• Ok.

So the job of the pitch shift in the mentioned rig (Steve Stevens) is to double the guitar (or let it sound "fatter")?

I don't know about this specific rig, I haven't tried the new collection yet. But the Kemper has other tools for doubling/making "fatter" (like the new Double Tracker effect), so I would assume it's meant to add a harmony line, either a parallel octave or fifth, or thirds or sixths... Kind of like the classic rock thing where two guitarists play in harmonies.

About the placement of the effect, musicmad summarized what I meant to say quite well: placed before the amp, the result sounds more like a two-string chord (a powerchord in the case of an added fifth) coming from a single guitar. It won't sound as defined and the two voices won't be as discernable as when the effect is placed after the amp.