Better /newer audio interface vs. digi 002 control surface.

• I'd be interested in hearing opinions on what best options would be regarding a better interface than my 14 year old Digi 002 control surface.

Don't know the specs on the 002 but I've been told it has lower end focusrite mic pre's and of course the digi hardware is married to pro tools software (v10)... From what I understand v11 of pro tools allows you to use any interface other than digi/avid... So?

Only requirement I'd prefer is that the interface has SPDIF, so far the bigger focusrite Scarlett has that. Then there is issue of DAW... Jump ship on PT or pay for upgrade to v11... or, IDK???

I want to capture the best sound for recording Kemper. What do you guys do?

• I still use my DIGI 002 console, with an older version of PT than you are using. The recordings are clean enough for me to license the music I record with it. But, if you are in the mood for something else, go for it! :)

well IDK if being in the mood is driving me, but that's awesome you still use the 002, that gives me reassurance but I'm starting to think about getting better sounding tracks and was wondering if newer gear would improve the situation.

I hate giving up the 002 control surface because I love the faders.

Btw I was running PT 8.05 forever but recently recently worked out a deal to get up to v10. I was happy with v6.0 to be honest Lol.

• No. I am using Reaper. It's the DAW that I first started with and got used to. And I have a gazzillion plugins installed in it. :wacko:

Ahh cool I also have reaper but somehow having both reaper and pt installed it gunked up the drivers for the digi 002 faders. Also got a pal recommended pre ssonus studio one... Lots of DAW choices.

• Reaper is not the prettiest UI (you can add skins for it) but it can do it everything imaginable. And I found more tutorials on reaper than other DAWs. I image once you get used to one brand then you tend to stay with it. I'm used to Windows even though Mac seems to be superior for music.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Reaper is not the prettiest UI (you can add skins for it) but it can do it everything imaginable. And I found more tutorials on reaper than other DAWs. I image once you get used to one brand then you tend to stay with it. I'm used to Windows even though Mac seems to be superior for music.

Agreed, I'm still stuck with Win 7.

• I use a Digi 002 Rack interface with my old Mac pro running Reaper. I use a Focusrite platinum mic preamp. Just upgraded Reaper to 6.36. It's a bit heavier to run, the performance meter goes quickly to 50 % CPU running a few plugins. A new Mac Mini would require a new interface. And i would have to install all my software again. Or start all over again with Logic having to learn that software. Just to record some music. Sigh. I'm getting old.

• I have the Motu M4 and it's perfect and reamps perfect without SPDIF, but if I was going the SPDIF route then I would get the Motu Mk5. The specs for Motu are outstanding. And you can't beat the meters! But all depends on how many i/o you need.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…18x22-usb-audio-interface

8):thumbup: