Cable type for monitor outputs?

• I haven't used the monitor outputs on my Stage before. I want to sometimes use the two monitor outputs to a pair of studio monitors I have. Should I purchase cables with a balanced (two rings) 1/4" on one end and xlr on the other? Or should the cable be unbalanced on the 1/4 end? Or does it matter?

• Looks like the 1/4" outputs are mono unbalanced, so trs are no benefit, it would still be an unbalanced signal. If you aren't using the xlr main outs use those.

From the manual, page 61 back panel overview for the stage:

"MONITOR OUTPUT (5) (1/4" outs) Use these outputs to connect the PROFILER to a powered stage monitor for mono, or two powered stage monitors for stereo. These outputs have their own level control and ground lift in the menu of the Output Section. You can also connect this output to a power amp and regular guitar cabinets. In this case, you need to switch the cabinet simulation off, using the soft button “Monitor Cab Off” in the Output Section, to prevent the unwanted coloration that would result from running a speaker emulation through a guitar cabinet."

From page 60:

"MAIN OUTPUT (4) (xlr outs) These are your main stereo outputs. Use these outputs to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the front-of-house mixer in a live situation. These outputs deliver the entire Rig: amp, cabinet, and all effects. You have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced). The XLR outputs are protected against 48V phantom power fed by a mixing desk. However, you should avoid feeding phantom power into the PROFILER if you want the best audio quality. Like all inputs and outputs, it offers a ground lift in the menu of the Output Section to prevent a loop hum."

• Thanks. So I'm guessing that though balanced 1/4 to XLR works (I found one balanced 1/4 to XLR cable and tried it out) , it's not balanced so no benefit. From what I can tell, it doesn't harm anything either.

• I've used them often as patch cords over the last 30 yrs while working on pa systems, never had any problems. But if you have decent studio monitors and aren't using the xlr outs, what I read from others is that's a good way to dial in a decent tone that will translate better through a pa, or a least a good starting point. If not in use I'd try the xlr's.