Kabinet as FRFR for other modelers?

• I have a Profiler Stage that I love. Being that I don't play live right now, and probably won't be playing any venue larger than a small club in the foreseeable future, I want to downsize my 2x12 Avatar Orange-style cab to a 1x12 FRFR, preferably powered (I have an SD PS170 for my power amp currently). I've been eyeballing the Power Kab because it looks so clean. Here's my problem, though: I'm a practical gear head and I don't wanna buy something that I can only use with a Kemper product. I will likely get a Quad Cortex or Fractal FM9 at some point, and it would be nice for anything I use with my Kemper to sound good with one of those (or other modelers I may check out).

Does anyone have experience using a Kab with a non-Kemper product? Obviously the imprints won't work, but it should still work as a functional FRFR, right?

• As you said, the imprints won’t work but other than that it should be a decent choice in my opinion. A good indicator would be the fact that people can successfully use it for playing full range backing tracks but I’m sure someone on the forum has actually tried it with a Helix or Axe etc so look forward to hearing their feedback.

• Logically it should be a good choice but I've not heard anything from other users to confirm or deny this.

Just did a quick scan on Google but no comments on other forums as far as I can see either, so it will be interesting to see what people on here say...

• From the Main Manual 8.5:

The KEMPER Kone speaker and KEMPER Kone mode in the PROFILER are a perfect match. Therefore, please do not run the KEMPER Kone without the KEMPER Kone mode activated. You should also refrain from running the KEMPER Kone speaker with any sound generator other than the PROFILER. If you do, it will not sound good, and will certainly not sound as intended. The same applies for running the KEMPER Kone mode into another speaker — this will also not sound good.

• I absolutely love my Kabinet with my Power Head but I'm not 100% convinced of it's credentials as an FRFR speaker. It's it advertised as "ultra linear" so that's the flat response aspect covered but the frequency is said to be 50hz to 10kHz which isn't as full range as some.

• If you connect another modeler to the auxiliary input(s) of the Profiler set to Kone Mode, the Kone will automatically play the modeler in Full Range Mode, just like it would with backing tracks, a monitor mix, etc.

Yes, this is certainly possible. BUT I thing joshriggs wants to use Kabinet directly with other modelers. He specificaly mentioned Quad Cortex and Fractal FM9. Conection guitar-other modeler-kemper aux in-kabinet is not very streightforward I am afraid :)

• Well, theoretically, you could disable all the blocks (Amp, Cabinet, FX,...) in your KPA and enable Imprints, connect your audio interface to the KPA's input and Monitor Out and create an impulse response of the imprints and use those on other modellers along with the Kabinet.

Thinking of it... that's almost "profiling the profiler". ;D

Stage user

• From the Main Manual 8.5:

The KEMPER Kone speaker and KEMPER Kone mode in the PROFILER are a perfect match. Therefore, please do not run the KEMPER Kone without the KEMPER Kone mode activated. You should also refrain from running the KEMPER Kone speaker with any sound generator other than the PROFILER. If you do, it will not sound good, and will certainly not sound as intended. The same applies for running the KEMPER Kone mode into another speaker — this will also not sound good.

Interesting. My assumption from other reading was that it would work as a basic frfr since imprints would be disabled. But if kones only work with a Kemper regardless of whether imprints are enabled or disabled, then a Kabinet is still proprietary to Kemper. So then the Kabinet really isn't an FRFR speaker.

• Interesting. My assumption from other reading was that it would work as a basic frfr since imprints would be disabled. But if kones only work with a Kemper regardless of whether imprints are enabled or disabled, then a Kabinet is still proprietary to Kemper. So then the Kabinet really isn't an FRFR speaker.

Nope. It’s never been marketed as an FRFR.

FRFR speakers make no attempt to remove the microphone from the equation. That’s the Kone’s main reason for existing. Which only works when paired with a Profiler.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Nope. It’s never been marketed as an FRFR.

FRFR speakers make no attempt to remove the microphone from the equation. That’s the Kone’s main reason for existing. Which only works when paired with a Profiler.

Right, yes, I understand that. But the manual refers to "full range mode" many times, or when Monitor CabOff is disabled. So that leads one to believe there is a full range mode, similar to an FRFR, that can be used on any kind of audio signal. But it sounds like I have my answer here in that it's not an optimal solution.

• Right, yes, I understand that. But the manual refers to "full range mode" many times, or when Monitor CabOff is disabled. So that leads one to believe there is a full range mode, similar to an FRFR, that can be used on any kind of audio signal. But it sounds like I have my answer here in that it's not an optimal solution.

The issue is that NO speaker is truly flat or full range. All the normal FRFR solutions out there (like DXR10 or Headrush or Mission etc) apply an EQ curve via some DSP located in the cabinet/poweramp. The Kemper applies this DSP from the KPA itself. Therefore, in order to get the speaker to provided a flat response you need to activate the Kone setting. Without this you will get the character of the speaker without the EQ to flatten it out. This may or may not sound good but it won't be truly flat.

• Right, yes, I understand that. But the manual refers to "full range mode" many times, or when Monitor CabOff is disabled. So that leads one to believe there is a full range mode, similar to an FRFR, that can be used on any kind of audio signal. But it sounds like I have my answer here in that it's not an optimal solution.

I think the point is....we don't know, which was your original question, has anyone tried it :). So you are right, its not optimal but as Alan said, this doesn;t mean it sounds bad or good.

Hope someone on here has tried it...

• I have tried it with a few of my modelers. I actually liked it better than the PA powered speaker I was using and my Spark. I am sure what I am hearing through the Kabinet isn't accurate compared to an FRFR, but I am enjoying using the Kabinet as my monitor.

That said, it's no where near as enjoyable as my Stage through the Kabinet. The Kabinet has really made the Stage even more fun to play through than I could have imagined.

• Good point. Maybe I just get one for now and address the other modeler problem when it's an actual problem. Who knows when FM9 and QC will actually be available to buy. ?

The QC hasn't been really available for ages and suddenly they increased the price. I went "screw you" and decided to support local economy by buying a Kemper Stage, even though I'm really missing a couple of features the QC has and the Stage hasn't. Like USB audio to make recording way easier.

Stage user

• The QC hasn't been really available for ages and suddenly they increased the price. I went "screw you" and decided to support local economy by buying a Kemper Stage, even though I'm really missing a couple of features the QC has and the Stage hasn't. Like USB audio to make recording way easier.

Sounds as if the global chip shortage strikes again.

Makes it tough for new products like this.

In one regard, the KPA’s age becomes an advantage. Can’t be short on components you stockpiled after production ceased.

• I think the chip shortage isn't the major factor behind QC's lack of availability. They have been plagued (no pun intended) by delays since they announced it, and they're still way behind on several promised software features. I think they, like most other companies at some point, underestimated how difficult designing, building, and supporting a hardware modeler really is.

• I think the chip shortage isn't the major factor behind QC's lack of availability. They have been plagued (no pun intended) by delays since they announced it, and they're still way behind on several promised software features. I think they, like most other companies at some point, underestimated how difficult designing, building, and supporting a hardware modeler really is.

Given that SHARC processors are used extensively in automotive, motor control, power and process controls as well as security and test equipment - the shortage has to be a good part of it.

“0 in stock” is a common theme for SHARC processors right now.

• Given that SHARC processors are used extensively in automotive, motor control, power and process controls as well as security and test equipment - the shortage has to be a good part of it.

“0 in stock” is a common theme for SHARC processors right now.

They were having major delays before the shortage, so ?‍♂️