Do i need a mixer?

• Hey, all.

So, after i got the Kemper (Stage) this spring, i recognized that profiles were not responding as expected—much less gain, and even the effects seemed significantly minimized, versus what i would hear when listening to the same profiles being demoed on youtube. I later realized that my Focusrite Scarlett interface was not getting enough volume from the Kemper (or something like that) as i was trying to balance the Kemper input with my iMac computer volumes, and outputting both from the interface into my studio monitors. I have (somewhat) corrected that, so that the Kemper is turned up, and computer volumes balanced in the Focusrite software. But, i still feel like Kemper profiler gain is not optimal—i still turn up the gain a little to match what i hear from other people.

I think if i were to plug my monitors directly into the profiler, that would be solved. But, then i'd need another set for my computer. Not good, space or cost-wise.

So, would a small mixer work somehow? I'm talking strictly about home use, for practicing and recording into a DAW. I'm not even sure how this would work, but i imagine the Kemper goes into the mixer, and i can optimize the Kemper's output. Then somehow the computer audio also has to go into the mixer—not sure how that would work. Seems like the headphone out would be suboptimal.... And then the mixer would output to the monitors. Similar to what i'm trying to do in the Focusrite software, but... better. I don't know—i had things working 'fine,' and then something changed, and it's just a pain to try to remember how i had it or just to see what changed. [I despise the Focusrite software—didn't even need it for Gen 2, but Gen 3 is married to it.]

I guess there are mixers that have USB audio, but is that two-way? So, my computer output goes into the mixer also?

Anyone using a setup like this?

• I generally use a mixer because I do a solo act and want my vocals and guitar coming out together. In your case, however, it shouldn't be necessary. Have you checked your output settings to make sure that the -12dB cut isn't active?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I generally use a mixer because I do a solo act and want my vocals and guitar coming out together. In your case, however, it shouldn't be necessary. Have you checked your output settings to make sure that the -12dB cut isn't active?

In my settings, the -12dB doesn't have an affect. And the Pad is OFF.

Wanna have a look at my settings page to see if you see any glaring mistakes? I'm using SPDIF into the Focusrite, but it was the same story when i was using analog outs into the Focusrite's front end mic pres.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/NxTveeC.jpg]

• In my settings, the -12dB doesn't have an affect. And the Pad is OFF.

Wanna have a look at my settings page to see if you see any glaring mistakes? I'm using SPDIF into the Focusrite, but it was the same story when i was using analog outs into the Focusrite's front end mic pres.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/NxTveeC.jpg]

Which output is going to the Focusrite? I would make sure that whatever one is being used for that would be unlinked from the Master volume. In fact, generally only the Monitor out would be linked to the Master, so that you can adjust your own Monitor volume without affecting any others.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Which output is going to the Focusrite? I would make sure that whatever one is being used for that would be unlinked from the Master volume. In fact, generally only the Monitor out would be linked to the Master, so that you can adjust your own Monitor volume without affecting any others.

The SPDIF is going to the Focusrite.

I didn't find any difference whether Monitor was linked to the Master.

I did update the Focusrite software, though. And then, for some reason, if i click the 1 and the 2 in the focusrite app outputs section, instead of the 1-2 linked stereo pair, the volume is increased. But, i don't get the full stereo effects from my loop.... But, then after that, selecting the 1-2 again sorta raises the volume a bit.... It's so bizarre—i hate that software. It's a bit like the Kemper Rig Manager, in that there are some settings you select but you can't then see what is selected.... Ugggh.

Thank you, though. Things sounded pretty good last night. But, i've said that before, only to come back a day later and have it wonky again. We'll see what happens tomorrow.