Using a Kemper Stage with a Mesa Cab

• I have a question regarding the usage of a standard cabinet with a Kemper Stage.

I have used an FRFR cabinet for years with my Kemper. It has been very easy to use, especially live, being able to go direct to FOH and give the board the same signal as I have on the stage.

But I feel like I have always struggled with the FRFR cabs and getting the “true” sound of a cabinet.

I went out and purchased a 2-12 Mesa Cabinet today to use instead of my FRFR Cabinet. I told my other guitarist about it and of course he asks me “if you turn the cabinet sim off on the Kemper to run the Mesa cabinet, what does that do your signal going to FOH”?

I didn’t even think about this! So here’s the question…..can I turn the cabinet sim off on the Kemper stage to have the true sound of the Mesa cabinet while on stage, but be able to send FOH the same profile with the cab sim on? Otherwise the signal going to front of house is going to sound quite nasty!
    I don’t think it’s possible. If the cabinet button is turned off on the Kemper, I can’t see how I would be able to send it with my direct out to the FOH.

Trying to avoid using a mic on the cab.
    Might be selling a brand new Mesa 2-12 cab, and yes….I am a tone chaser. ?

Gary

• You also need a poweramp to drive the Mesa Cab.

Stage -> Monitor Out (Monitor Cab Off) -> Power Amp -> Mesa 2x12

Stage -> Main Out (set to Master Mono) -> FOH

Just a note that what you monitor through the cab, which is your on-stage presence, will not sound the same as FOH because FOH has the cabinet as part of the sound and this cabinet may be different than a Mesa 2x12 depending on the profile.

• When I first went to Kemper, this is what I used to do.

After borrowing an FRFR for a few weeks, it sounded terrible to me and I took my Mesa 4x12 for live shows. The full profile went to FOH and then I monitored through the Mesa with cab off on the monitor output. Later we went to in ears with the band and I am fully utilising the Kemper without anything else attached, apart from wireless.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• As mentioned, that is what "monitor cab off" is for. I use a Kabinet in this config so totally works. Also unlink your volumes ( which I assume you have if you've been doing it for years).

This is the most common problem faced by everyone - you want same sound as FOH but it never sounds " as good".

This what the Kabinet is designed for - to fill that "gap", which is also incredibly small and light (powered one is prob heavier and avoids the need of a separate power amp).