Kemper DI box - Amp power amp 2 ohm

• Hi

I'm planning on profiling a friends Fender Super Reverb 68' but wants to double check something.

The wiring on that model is 4x10 8 ohm speakers all wired in parallel meaning the power amp normally sees only 2 ohm.

Is it safe to connect the Kemper DI in between the output of the power amp and the speakers or am I at risk of frying something?

Next question is afaik I won't be able to connect the Kempers built in power amp to the speakers as they're rated at 2 ohm whereas the power amp is rated between 8 and 16 ohm right?

I suppose one could change the wiring in the cab to series/parallel to make it 8 ohm but then how will the real amp react when it sees 8 ohm instead of normally 2 ohm? I know it's safe to go to a higher resistance but does it affect the sound? Why did they wire the speakers for 2 ohm to begin with?

My friend has never tried a Kemper so I'm there to show him the digital realm I suppose.

The idea is he doesn't want to haul the Fender amp around, both for convenience but also to prevent unnecessary damage for an old delicate amp, so a Kemper solution would be ideal

He's playing small clubs but isn't fond of the sound coming out of a miced up amp through monitors so ideally we'll put a couple of the 10 inch speakers in a cab for monitoring. So the plan is to make a merged profile to feed the cab through monitor out and the PA through main out.

But before doing the DA we need to verify it's safe to connect the Kemper DI box in between the amp and the cab :)

• The power amp runs 4 -16 ohms even though it's labeled 8-16. The unpowered Kabinet is rated at 4 ohms and designed to plug right into the poweramp.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 2 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• Question 1:

The Kemper DI Box changes the total impedance only insignificantly.

You can measure the ohm value between input and output. Should be less than 1 ohm.

Question 2:

I wouldn't touch the amp, any change would devalue it. A tube amplifier doesn't like too high an impedance, a transistor amplifier doesn't like too low an impedance.

Besides, what for?

For example, if you've created a DI profile, buy the IR from Tone Junkie. or would you like to create the IR yourself?

https://tonejunkiestore.com/im…lue-impulse-response-pack

I would go for a professional profiled on with an (FRFR cab or better with the Kemper Cab) ,
    if this is not working for him then you can try to profile yourself.
    https://tonejunkiestore.com/pr…-verb-kemper-profile-pack

Be the force with you ;)

Edited once, last by Yoda Guitar ().