How many different ways of using the Kemper may exist? (rigs pictures welcome)

• Hi there,

I was thinking that somebody some day might want to release a book like '50 ways to use the Kemper' or something.

Of course different versions exists, within various environnements, but how are you using it in your rig or studio?

As an amp? Direct? Complementary? Hybrid? Effets loop? Other crazy stuff?

Sharing my main setup that might be unusual for some, contextual for others, (or forbidden by purists) as I like to use kemper profiles in the fx loop of the Mesa TC-50, not only for effects but to add a 'gain no.2' (much alike dual gain on Marshalls or Fortin Cali) after each three channels set around mid-gain, which delivers an interesting variety of tones, from plexi to full-on metal. One fave is an ADA Mp1 preamp preset 45 combined with channel 2, or a JJCantrell 100W profile at various gain between clean or purple channel as a 'boost'. Sometimes it's just 'amp off' with a preamp or OD pedal in front but keeping the KPA EQ, fave cab and effets in the loop.

All that goes through the 2x12 cab and a Laney Frfr 112 alternatively or simultaneously.

Sha

• ...a book like '50 ways to use the Kemper'

Infinite? I'd say so. Can't think of all the different usages. What I really love about my Kemper is the super pragmatic and clever design which allows all these different usages on such high quality level.

I use it mostly in my studio setup, via SPDIF connected to audio interface / DAW but also via XLR connections incl. a channel strip for vocals and acoustic guitar stuff - all that via studio monitors and headphones. Furthermore I take the same unit with me for rehearsals and gigging incl. the remote. Listening to it via FRFR and PA, sometimes as well with a small power amp into traditional guitar cab or a cab with the Kone in it. Depends on the particular kontext as I am involved in different setups.

In my studio I use the Kemper sometimes also for non-guitar stuff as I like some of the effects and sometimes the clever routing helps me to achieve some very specific setups... 8)

• Minimal use for me.

Kemper stage with Ep1-kp straight to FoH :)

Only one profile and one cab from one other profile, that I’ve tweaked to death to get 5 tones.

Clean - breakup - crunch - distortion - lead.

Each of the tones (apart the lead) have a morphing available to get some lead tones dedicated to the channel.

wha for every preset in first block.

on top of that also have octaver-od-chorus-delay available in each of the effect switches.

édit: I’m waiting to get a stable release to try the new double tracker. From what I hear it’s gonna have it’s own dedicated block in each of my presets :)

• The great thing about good gear - is there are a huge number of ways to use it - it fits in with your needs rather than making you change to fit in with how it works.

I have my Kemper in a digital SPDIF loop from my Helix. I have the Kemper FX loop map onto an FX loop of the Helix.

I have pedals in the Helix FX loops, and can pretty make up any combination of any amp and any FX - just by changing preset - without moving any cables. It might be pricey - and its definitely overkill, but its pretty cool.

So the signal chain can be GTR > Helix FX path 1 > Kemper >Kemper FX loop send > Helix loop in >FX path 2 [any fx or other FX loops] > Helix Loop out > Kemper Fx loop in > Kemper amp profile >Helix FX path 3 > amp (headphones / hifi and monitors / Marshall 9100 and cabs).

To put an FX infront of the Kemper - put it or the loop its in on Helix Path 1

To put an FX in the Kemper loop - put it or the loop its in on Helix Path 2

To put an FX after the Kemper - put it or the loop its in on Helix Path 3

The only downside is that the SPDIF is part of the main multi in / out of the helix so you can't use the 'multi in/out' options - gotta specify 'guitar' and xlr/ 1/4inch.

I have Expression pedals connected to the Helix, and midi'd to control the Kemper. For Kemper profiles I like I make a Helix preset where Helix floor controller matches and control the Kemper FX buttons. The Kemper loop switch activate the loop on the kemper by midi and the loop on the helix at the same time.

Footswitches from left to right Freqout momentary, Trio, Synth hold, Trio start/stop, Helix Toe switch, Profile/performance left/right/up/down. Exps are Vol/Wah/Morph.

This post is more like a 'how to wrap the Kemper in a Helix' post. But its how I use my Kemper sooooooooo.

• I use it as simple as possible (it's punk, so i don't need much):

Guitar->Profiler->Poweramp (Palmer Macht 402) -> 4x12 Marshall Cab and a 2-Way switch to change between rigs in Perfomance-mode.

If there will be bigger gigs, i would use the main out, but that wasn't necessary yet.

At home i'm just using the SPDIF-Out into a Focusrite interface and record with Logic Pro with some headphones (Or play some music to play along).