• I wanted to do a mix next that went from clean to massive dirty in zero seconds and ended back clean. This one is a bit long but much shorter than the original. I learned how to use midrange to move clean and dirty guitars forward and backward in the mix. I also learned to play much tighter double tracked guitars. The clean guitar was done with 3 tracks and a little looser. It's pretty close to how I would want the final mix to sound, but with a warmer clean tone and possibly with a 12-string acoustic along with a clean electric as a filler.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Well done, changing dynamics is always a challenge.

What I suggest to start out on that path is simplify. Often you can just play the same chord or riff with a higher gain sound. On high gain you want less reverb also to bring it forward otherwise it’s getting sent to the back of the room, reverb is like the depth control to go with panning for left and right.

Other things you can try are working it like it was live. So there you’d engage lead on the same amp, which keeps your sound consistent between clean and dirty.

Finally in high gain how you handle chorus/flanger is worth looking at. My gut says you’re after that 80s shred sound. For that place your chorus effect after the amp block and flanger before and then tone it down a lot. You may be pushing it up hard because you’re playing at low volume and the string noise is masking the strength of the effect. But keep it subtle and you’ll lose less of the punch from the distortion and have to cut fewer frequencies to get a huge sound.

• The more I listen to the clean part then the more I think it's too wet.

For my overall dirty tone I am searching for -- I think I am trying to merge the EVH sound with Alex Lifeson sound and then bring them to be a more darker tone. I have a tone in my head so I will know for certain if I hear it. :D On this particular song, I have at least 5 iterations of different tones I used but not totally thrilled with any -- I'll keep searching.

Per I forgot what effects chain I used =O (I usually change everything from song to song until I find my ultimate tone). I use the free RigKeeper plugin so I can go back into the DAW project and see what was used. Also, please check out my Pits of Hades. I believe it is near perfect to what I am trying to achieve mix-wise and for a more darker tone. I'm curious to see how you would comment on it.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 3 times, last by BayouTexan ().