Midi Program Changes Formula does not work for me!?

• I am starting to work with Program Changes instead of CCs to select the performances/slots via Midi out of Cubase.

So far it works, but there is one thing that irritates me.

In the manual and here in the forum you find the formula (#Performance x 5) - 5 + (#Slot - 1) to get the correct Program Change #.

But for me, the result of the formula is always one digit smaler compared to what my kemper displays and wants.

For example, Performance 1, Slot 1. With formula it would be (1x5) - 5 + (1-1) = 0. But my Kemper displays MIDI Prg # 1, and I realy need to send PC 1 to select that slot. Same thing with other slots. What is wrong?

Also:

Kemper also displays the Bank # one digit higher than the manual says. But here, i have to send what the manual says to get the right slot.

For Performance 1 slot 1, Kemper displays MIDI Bank #1 instead of Bank #0 what the manual says. But here, i realy need to send the value 0 from Cubase.

:?:

• There is really nothing your doing wrong. It’s the nature of MIDI PC#

000 on one unit might be 001 on another. When I sent PC# messages to my Strymon’s I had to calculate then subtract, on the Mobis it was harder because it used 3banks not like a Timeline with 2banks which made the math easier. The h9 lined up perfectly.

• There is really nothing your doing wrong. It’s the nature of MIDI PC#

000 on one unit might be 001 on another. When I sent PC# messages to my Strymon’s I had to calculate then subtract, on the Mobis it was harder because it used 3banks not like a Timeline with 2banks which made the math easier. The h9 lined up perfectly.

I thought as the formula is from the Kemper manual, it would fit for all Kemper....

• I thought as the formula is from the Kemper manual, it would fit for all Kemper....

Most midi controllers are either 0-127 or 1 -128 while some can be configured either way. I assume Cubase is configured as 1 -128 but there may be a setting in preferences to change this. Unfortunately, I’m a Logic user so don’t know the ins and outs of Cubase.

• I don't know how this has to do with cubase.

The picture shows display of my kemper stage. Without Midi cables connected.

For Slot 1 in Performance 1, it says Prg # 1 and Bank # 1. But the formula from the Kemper says Prg # 0 Bank # 0. Is the formula wrong or what am I missing?

• The formula is correct if your MIDI controller (or DAW) transmits MIDI PC 0-127, Prg#0 Bank #0 = Slot 1, Performance 1

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/pgm.htm

"It is the program number to change to, a number from 0 to 127." "many MIDI devices display their Program numbers starting from 1 (even though a Program number of 0 in a Program Change message selects the first program in the device). "

• I now understood that that different Midi controller handle it differently, and that the formula is not wrong.

And I know how to work with it, so there is no practical problem for me.

But that Kemper itself does not decide which way they want it confuses the user.

As far as I understood, Kemper says I could use the formula to get the numbers or I can check them on the display.

But if you do that, you will see different numbers....

For me, that would be a bit like telling the measurements of the kemper, but not telling that the height is in inches and the width is in centimeters. Of course both numbers are correct....

"Why easy if it can be made difficult"

I got it. Hope that not too many others will get this problem..