Tried to profile a rig from my Headrush but can't get the tone right...

• Hi,

I've dialed what I think is a great distorted tone using my HeadRush peadlboard. Now my goal is to profile that so I can have that same tone in my Kemper.

I tried it, with no success. I must say I don't have experience with profiling (always used commercial profiles from M. Britt, Big Hairy and Top Jimmy), so I figured maybe I am missing something? Maybe the Kemper is not good at profiling other digital gear for some reason...or specifically the HeadRush maybe is not a good source...? And yes I tried refining the profile and tried without it also...almost same result.

The profiled tone gets close, but far from close enough. It gets "harsh" in the distorted high end and overall the sound is a bit muddier.

Any thoughts on what I should do differently or be expecting maybe when trying to profile another digital piece of gear?

In my HeadRush, the signal chain is: guitar-> "white boost"-> "82 Lead 800 100W" -> "2x12 B30" -> "COND 67" -> output.

Thanks in advance!

• Don´t you plug your guitar into the Kemper first?

And then to your pedalboard >amp > speaker> mic for profiling process ....

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• OK , then that parameter is right at least 8o

No further questions .......

I tried a couple of times to involve a Fulltone ´70 pedal in the process.

"Failed" 4 times out of 5 ..... Not the same sound , don´t know why ... ?(

Cheers !

• Thanks Hoki Toki

Maybe there's something as part of the Kemper "algorithm" which will not work well with digital gear...but I've seen another thread people saying good things about profiles from the Quad Cortex. So I thought I would give it a try and capture my HeadRush tone.

• Maybe there´s a compressor involved in the HeadRush? Kemper don´t like compressors .. .( I´ve heard ... )

And reverb and modulation FX like chorus / flanger is not possible to profile, if you use something like that .....

Cheers !

• Now that you are saying...something that I will try next...it just occurred to me...is to get the Kemper "send" and connect that to the HeadRush "return" (instead of input). I think this way I will skip the "noise gate".

When I was profiling, I configured to noise gate to be as if it was off in the HeadRush, but I can't really turn it off I think as it is part of the "input" section (I can, however, set the threshold to something ridiculously low; which is what I did). So maybe bypassing it completely could help!

Another thing is maybe play with the levels...maybe my Kemper is not being fed with a "strong enough" signal or maybe it is getting something that is "too hot"... I don't know.

I will try and see...

• I assume you would do this:

guitar ---> kemper front input

kemper direct out ---> guitar input on headrush

output on headrush ---> speaker cabinet

mic on speaker cabinet ---> kemper return

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Update: I tried the above-mentioned approaches and nothing changed. I think something is probably not being "read" correctly by the Kemper due to the HeadRush being another digital gear. I also tried capturing only the "amp" (removing the boost), with same type of poor result.

• I think something is probably not being "read" correctly by the Kemper due to the HeadRush being another digital gear.

I'm not sure what the root cause is but I'm pretty sure it isn't a digital to digital thing. I profiled some Neural DSP plugins successfully and Bommel has profiled Fractal and others without issue.

My bet would be that it is something to do with the Headrush having a noise gate or you are trying to profile multiple gain stages in a single Headrush preset. Have you tried it with some other Headrush presets of say a single amp with no pedals and low enough power amp levels that the model isn't simulating both pre amp and poweramp distortion?

• once the profiler sent its sound through thehead rush refine the following way:

strum all strings, THEN, press refine... that way the kemper only hears the ringing out of the notes when refining, sometimes

the attack of the strings mess up refinig.

then choose either less gain or do not use the booster when profiling then increase the gain and use a booster of the kemper afterward an compensated using the dials in the amp section to manually make up for the tone changes. Listen closely, and manually change tube shape, compression, definition and sagging ...

Some sounds are just tricky to capture i tried to put everything together in this article https://thebommel.com/index.ph…rofiling-with-the-kemper/

Since the Headrush is based on the eleven rack i think it should work fine. I already profiled the eleven rack so i hope the headrush will work fine too

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Don't give up man, especially with some pedals i profiled them 3 times until i was happy, the kemper simply has a hard time on some devices

• from the manual

"You can PROFILE solid-state amps, as well as software modeling amps, although the results from PROFILING

modeled amps can sometimes be underwhelming. The reason for this is that some emulations use techniques that
    don’t necessarily match the analog reality"