Need a little help in my for my "amp in the room set up"

• I've currently got a the Power Station v2 that runs into a Port City 2x12 Vertical OS with Celestion Greenbacks. It's basically a mini 4x12 with current Chinese Celestions. It sounds fabulous but very much the Marshall + Greenback rock sound. Not a bad one sound to have! It's certainly my favorite. It's just that it's too much for other genres. The other thing is this is a 3 piece set up...unpowered head, amp head box w/ power station and conditioner, and the 2x12. Definitely not grab and go.

I'm thinking of one of the following:

1. Just find a more versatile guitar speaker. Not an FRFR or modeling...just a guitar speaker that's more adaptable or maybe a combo of two different speakers
    2. Buy an oversized 1x12, partial open back with an Alnico, H30, or something for more indie/roots type sounds
    3. Buy a couple of Kemper Kones to put in the existing cab
    4. Buy a couple of Powered Kemper Kabs - if it's close enough on the imprints. That'd give me a grab and go plus something to cover a larger sound spectrum when needed

In reading up on some threads, I've seen mixed reviews of the Kones vs their real counterparts, but it also seems like some of that might have been user error in setup/config. I'd appreciate some up to date thoughts from those who have bounced between some of these options

USE CASE: Mostly playing for my enjoyment at home and looking to get back into jamming/rehearsals and some limited gigging. I gigged part time up to 2019 and COVID has obviously tamped that down. When I gigged, I almost always used a CLR as a wedge pointed back to me because we ran our own sound and everyone was pretty much direct to the board.

• If you want the amp in the room feel then a power amp and real cab will give you that feel. But as I mention later, Greenbacks like to be pushed a bit. Thats when they shine and sound amazing. Ive tried the FRFR route with powered speakers, Ive tried the FX200 and Kemper kones and didnt care for any of them. I just go with my kemper --> power amp --> mesa cab. Thats how it sounds best for me. I also try to find only direct profiles when using my kemper into the real cab. This way the kemper only acts as a "real amp". If price isnt a worry for you then I would suggest buying another 2x12 or 1x12 and getting a full range speaker and trying it in there. This way you can use the full power of the kemper as opposed to just the amp profile....

I'm thinking of one of the following:

1. Just find a more versatile guitar speaker. Not an FRFR or modeling...just a guitar speaker that's more adaptable or maybe a combo of two different speakers --- What is considered a more versatile speaker? Greenbacks are quite good at what they do, they are meant to be pushed. V30's may be too midrangey for you... So many choices...
    2. Buy an oversized 1x12, partial open back with an Alnico, H30, or something for more indie/roots type sounds -- You could go that route but having a 2x12 does give you a bit more oomph to the sound. Not as much as a 4x12 though. It is however heavier than a 1x12...
    3. Buy a couple of Kemper Kones to put in the existing cab -- Ive tried this route and didnt care for it much. I put it in a mesa 2x12 recto cab and did not like the results. Im more of an "amp in the room" kind of person vs FRFR setup
    4. Buy a couple of Powered Kemper Kabs - if it's close enough on the imprints. That'd give me a grab and go plus something to cover a larger sound spectrum when needed -- This could be an option but again, its going the route of FRFR...
  • I would go the Kabinet route, use the imprints, and adjust Pure Cabinet parameter to your liking. Then, if you want to sound non-Marshall, it's all at your fingertips instead of a load on your back.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hello Mtmartin,

as you can see in my avatar i built a 4x12 kone cab "on my pleasure" to combine the flexibility of the kone properties and the "pump air" of the 4x12.

The kone is the most flexible solution you can have by using the kone imprints. You can have a great amp in the room effect with them or with the pure cabinet option by using them as FRFR. They are not the standard FRFR coax but a very good "compensation" to it.

I can speak for my humble opinion and experience: it is a great option, the imprints are valuable.

• What are you using for your power amp? SS or Tube?

• I'd leave your existing cab the way it is and get a powered Kab. That gives you a grab and go option that DOESN'T sound like FRFR. When I'm playing a profile of a Bogner Shiva with V30 speakers it sounds like the amp. In the room.

• I'd leave your existing cab the way it is and get a powered Kab. That gives you a grab and go option that DOESN'T sound like FRFR. When I'm playing a profile of a Bogner Shiva with V30 speakers it sounds like the amp. In the room.

Yeah I'm kind of leaning this way. Now I just need to scrounge up $700 or so in the budget ;)