Tips for recording with your Kemper

• Greetings All,

Hoping some of you have an interest in sharing some of your wisdom and experience recording with Kemper.

I’ve done a good amount of recording the past year; Electric Guitar, some Acoustic and Bass.

I use purchased profiles from folks like Tone Junkie, Big Hairy Profiles (BHP), Bert M (BM Profiles), Selah and others.

I am thrilled with what the Kemper offers with recording. I love a lot of players but Gilmour is closest to my style. I have learning issues and don’t use a DAW. I use my Roland vs2000cd and vs880ex. Guitar and vocals are my main role, but after many years I can hold my own with Bass Drums and Keys. No programming (I’m not good at it).

• If you can operate an old VHS tape recorder then a DAW is about the same in learning to record with it. Once you get your inputs and outputs routed through your interface then it's just a matter of saving it as your Default project. You load up the default project, press record button, save that project to the song's name, and then render it (save to a wav file). When you have extra time, you can explore youtube tutorials on how to do much more with a DAW.

That's my tip - get a DAW and sell that expensive Roland thing.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• my advice (I only wish I was better at following it myself; but do as I say not as I do ?) is to “just do it. It is really easy to spend lots of time thinking about doing stuff and planning tunes, worrying about sounds and parts for the arrangement. Then, start a project but never quite manage to finish it. Just record stuff. Finish it. Move on and record something else. You will improve every time and the satisfaction of finishing a track will inspire you to do more. In contrast, many of us get bogged down in details trying to make everything we do perfect.it never is and the feeling of never finishing saps the enthusiasm to do more.

Above all have fun ????

• Using the right profiles is what it's all about IMHO. I record everything with BM profiles. I know there are lots of others, i try other profiles but often they require lots of EQ. BM profiles sit right in the mix without EQ necessary. Just my opinion.

I still have my Fostex VF160 HD portastudio but i use it as a mixer nowadays. I record with an old Mac Pro running Reaper, Digi rack 002 interface. Such a setup is dirt cheap now on the used market. There is a learning curve but if i can operate this stuff anybody can.

• Before I had a DAW I used a 880 back around 94ish. I was really good at getting around on it, automating it etc. and I can tell you a DAW is much, much easier to work with. Basically a word processor for sound where you can see everything the way you want it and customize it.

• After years of struggling, I found that number 1 tip is - learn how to play good 8)

You really don't have to that. Just play better than this guy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• After years of struggling, I found that number 1 tip is - learn how to play good 8)

I'm going to agree with you for the most part but I like to say to the people that go "It's in your fingers dude", "OK you're going to use a a Tesco Del Ray and a Gorilla practice amp to do your next speed metal shredding show with. No? guess it isn't ALL in the fingers, Gear/sound/ tone DO play a factor.

• I'm going to agree with you for the most part but I like to say to the people that go "It's in your fingers dude", "OK you're going to use a a Tesco Del Ray and a Gorilla practice amp to do your next speed metal shredding show with. No? guess it isn't ALL in the fingers, Gear/sound/ tone DO play a factor.

It's even more in your head, than fingers. What stops you from shredding is not your gear, or your recording technique. It is how you perceive yourself and the world. Can you enjoy what you already have and your accomplishments. If not, you'll never be happy even with Kemper 3. I am having time of my life with 250$ Vintage V6 stratocaster, where sometimes thinnest string gets hooked by the fret, during my blues improvisation with closed eyes and funny faces.

Gear starts playing a factor if it indeed stops you from practicing (string action very high, constant fret buzzing, semi dead electronics). But the quality of a gear/sound/tone is in your head. I believe I could play practice amp and have fun, because it all is about having fun.

I cannot imagine 4000$ Suhr being better than my 250@ strat when I get my frets polished/crowned.

I wish everybody to come to the same place in life.