Routing Kemper with real and virtual effects in Logic Pro X pre and post Amp stage

• Kind of a newbie question. I've had decent enough results with my Kemper Stage recording but I'm a beginner.

Typically, I'll take the Master Stereo via SPDIF into my Scarlett 816 and into my Mac and Logic Pro X.

Lately, as I start to write and record my own material, I got carried away with some plug-ins and I just had the realization I'm screwing everything up.

Basically, I'm taking the master stereo out and applying effects to it such as compression and eq that you should really be earlier in my signal path.

Yeah, it does end up sounding like a bit of a mess, forgive me. Or maybe more accurately, just, less than I think it should.

I should have started this thread with the phrase "a friend of mine" rather than admitting to being a cautionary tale. OK.

So I want to retain the power of the Kemper and third-party profiles that I love, but what's the best way to route say, my guitar, into logic, use an AU compressor or EQ audio fx unit in logic, the JST compressor suite for example seems to give better results with one button push than the Kemper, then back into the pre-amp/amp section of the Kemper, then back to Logic for say an IR pack - maybe GGD Cali which is blowing up right now (although, thinking, this is overcomplicating it because I do sometimes take the IR from GGD Cali and load it into the Kemper as a Cab preset - and then some how route back to the Kemper for the effects features it offers?

Question: Is this nuts? Overcomplicated? Can you do that kind of back and forth routing? Is it worth it? Do I just misunderstand?

Should I simply use the Kemper as signal chain pre-cab and do everything else in logic with plug ins in the post-chain?

• If you want to "retain the power of the Kemper" then all you need to do is record it and only use an EQ plugin after to fit it in the mix. Your signal going in must have a good sound, otherwise poop going in results in poop coming out no matter how many plugins you use. Less is best.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• typically you would use compression and EQ after the amp in a recording situation to help it sit in the mix properly. Putting a compressor in front of the amp is more of an effect for playing feel than a studio compressor. I.e. you aren’t doing anything “wrong”. If you are messing up the sound you might just be using too much compression and EQ or using too slow a release time etc.

There is no right or wrong signal path , only results. If the results are good it is right - simples.