Re-amping via SPIDIF

• Hello all! I am trying to re-amp my kemper after recording a clean DI. I am using Pro Tools 12 at 96kh with a Focusrite 18i20. I am going out of my kemper via direct out, going into my interface then out Spidif, into my kemper's Spidif In. I have already Defaulted my I/O's and still am having no luck with it. Maybe I have my In's and Out's wrong on my DAW. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks:)

• You have a good enough interface. Why not just do it analogue, as there is not a lot to lose? That is what you would be doing with a real amp.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• You can completely reamp via S/PDIF, but you seem to be mixing analog and S/PDIF!?

The Main Manual includes a Reamping chapter explaining both including a cabling picture on page 130. There are Output Sources available to feed the dry guitar signal via S/PDIF to your DAW.

• I am now going out Output 3 because the first two are my speaker monitors and, going into "Return input reamp" instead of Spidif. my signal is now really quiet. un useable.

• The DI signal that you send out of Output 3 on the interface to the Kemper Return Input should be very low because it's only the un-amped signal from your pickups. When it get's "reamped" then that's when it should come out of your monitors at a level similar to regular track levels.

If it is not then either your Reamp Track is not properly configured or your DAW routing is not correct. (Assuming everything else is functioning properly).

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The DI signal that you send out of Output 3 on the interface to the Kemper Return Input should be very low because it's only the un-amped signal from your pickups. When it get's "reamped" then that's when it should come out of your monitors at a level similar to regular track levels.

If it is not then either your Reamp Track is not properly configured or your DAW routing is not correct. (Assuming everything else is functioning properly).

I get that but, that's not the issue. all my ins and outs are corrected. I am going in via "return input" or "analog" and my signal is unaffected by the amp (almost sounds like the DI) but, the floor noise is really noticeable. Then if I go Spidif in then my signal is affected but sounds dirty with a lot of digital overtones. both ways are unusable currently. When i have it set to the return input, it'll intermittently have bursts of signal almost like it's about to sound normal the way it should.

• When you use the return input with TS cables, you also send the main outs to your interface using TS. This is the non-SPDIF method to reamp.

If you are using just the SPDIF cables for your interface then one is out and the other is in. No other connection is needed.

Did you compare those two ways?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• When you use the return input with TS cables, you also send the main outs to your interface using TS. This is the non-SPDIF method to reamp.

If you are using just the SPDIF cables for your interface then one is out and the other is in. No other connection is needed.

Ooo, just noticed the cables I have recently purchased are TRS...

• I have basically the same setup, Kemper and an 18i20 3rd Gen, but it was basically the same with my old Gen 1 unit.

Here's what I do:

I record 2 tracks, one via XLR (Master Output), and another via SPDIF (Git Studio).

In the DAW, I create a ReAmp bus, with the output to the SPDIF.

Set the DI track (Git Studio) to the ReAmp Bus. This basically is all you need to do on the DAW.

When ready to reamp, I set the input of the Kemper to SPDIF Input ReAmp.

Then I just check out different profiles and how they fit with that guitar part and record that profile to a new track.

That's basically all you need to do.

Just Tried with TS Cables but had the same outcome.

• Just Tried with TS Cables but had the same outcome.

There should be no difference between TS and TRS in this situation. If the devices are stereo or have a balanced signal TRS will be appropriate and TS will not achieve the desired results. However, if the devices are mono and unbalanced TS is all you need but using a TRS will normally just ignore the rig connection and work as a TS.