BEGINNER HELP

• Hi there!

I'm super new in technical stuff and also to the Kemper world.

It's my first day using the Kemper profiler rack. I previously tested it with a power amp + cabinet and sounded good, but now at home I'm trying to play through my PC and I'm having some trouble.

I'm doing: guitar -> kemper input -> main output (jack) -> input of Steinberg UR22mkII -> monitors

The main issue is that the sound I get is quite fake and the volume is really low. I have tried playing with the mix and input knobs of the steinberg, but it does not work.

I Installed the Kemper Rig and plugged the USB to my Kemper. A message told me to update the version so I clicked, and obtained an error. (I have e-mailed support@kemper about it).

Am I doing something wrong, or missing anything?

Thanks!

• Hi there! What type of cables are you using to connect the Kemper outputs to the Steinberg? If XLR mic cables the Steinberg might be treating the signal as a mic and adding preamp (maybe even phantom power?).

Make sure to try it with regular guitar cables if you haven't.

Otherwise I suspect a setting in the Steinberg to get it to know what it's getting.

• Your monitors and the volume you listen have a big impact on the listening pleasure. I was using some budget monitors and they made the Kemper sound budget. Not a killer if you're recording, since the full glory gets captured, but not inspiring.

Have you got some good headphones? Plug those into the Steinberg and if you still aren't getting a great sound at decent volume then there may be some input configuration needed.

• You could also try just running the Kemper outs directly to your monitors (start at a low volume). If it sounds good then you have something set wrong on the Steinberg. If it still doesn't sound good it's likely in your Kemper settings. Is Main output set to Master Stereo? Cabinet enabled? Are you trying a DI rig that has no cabinet?

• Kemper Main outs Left and Right go to your UR22 Left and Right inputs... using TS cables.

Gains knobs on the interface should be at about number 3. (9 o'clock position).

"Powered" Speaker Monitors should have their volume knobs at about 85% not at MAX... and connected using TRS cables.

DAW volume track levels should be set at 0.0db on the meters.

What type of monitors are you using?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hello everyone and super-thanks your your quick replies, I'm loving the community so far.

It worked! The solution was that I didn't set "Monitor stereo" in my kemper out... I also used these:

<3

• I use a UR44C. (Same preamps) Use XLR cables from Kemper to Steinberg. Push -12 button on in Kemper and crank the output to max. When gain knobs are all the way down (not 9:00)the Steinberg is in line level mode. If the Kemper amp level is 0 and the rig volume is noon and EQ settings fairly neutral this should be just about the right signal to your DAW. If EQ is radical, or amp level higher it may peak, in that case either lower the amp level, rig volume or main out in output settings. ( I leave mine cranked with -12 on and adjust amp level to get it where I want it.)

• With the Kemper , there are many paths that yield similar results. The Amp volume & rig volume are not purported to change the tone at all. This is just the way I do it. Some profile makers set the amp volume real hot and lots of EQ and it will red light your UR22. I tend to tame all my rigs down so I can switch between them and have them the correct level yet save some headroom for solo boosts.