Kemper Stage VS Fractal FM9

• As of yesterday, there is a new processor going into the new FM9s that will be shipping any time now. The new processor is 10% more power. That extra power would have made a difference for me in the situation I have my setup for. I had to make some compromises to stay within save CPU utilization so I don't get any strange noises or crashes. I have basically just learned the Fractal lesson again IMHO. This will be the last unit I purchase from them. I like that my Kemper Stage still does everything that I need it to do and I don't have to worry about running out of processing power and having issues. I can turn every block in it on and it will run them.

EDIT:

I also forgot to mention that they have been working on firmware updates. I have not felt comfortable updating to any of them from watching the reported bugs on them. They are now working on version 3.x. I will probably update to that version once it goes to a full release. It looks like they are struggling to get everything working without issues in this new unit. I don't know if there will be issues in the future because the units will have two different processors out in the wild. It is possible that at some point an update will run on the newer processor and not on the older one or not run as well.

• I've heard people are still on the waiting list for the previous FM9 version according to some IG comments on the Fractal page.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I'm still having flashbacks from seeing Dweezil Zappa play a great show, with an amazing band and a tone that sounded like a first generation Line6 product. I was really disappointed, especially after reading several gear rundowns and other stuff where he's going on about Fractal. The rest of the instruments and the voices sounded amazing. I can't see a slightly faster processor fixing that.

• I've heard people are still on the waiting list for the previous FM9 version according to some IG comments on the Fractal page.

Everyone on the waitlist will get the turbo model now. They were having issues getting the CPUs that the original unit used and were able to get chips that are a little faster. The original used two 450 Mhz processors. The turbo model has two 500 Mhz processors in it. They are starting notifications to the people on the waitlist and shipping the new units now.

• Fractal makes a great product. Gotta always have the latest or you're left behind with something that's not the "best of the best." Lots of software/firmware updates, but lots of hardware updates too, and far more than any other vendor. Open your wallets to "stay on top" if thats important to you

• Fractal makes a great product. Lots of head games with their FOMO advertising tho. Gotta always have the latest or you're left behind with something that's not the "best of the best." Lots of software/firmware updates, but lots of hardware updates too, and far more than any other vendor. Open your wallets to "stay on top."

I agree. I am not playing the game anymore. I can still use the FM9 for what I bought it for. I went into it with that mindset. My disappointment with the hardware upgrade happening already is that it could very well make the difference in my situation of being able to run everything in one unit, making compromises or using a couple of external pedals. It isn't the end of the world but it definitely brought back the feelings I had when they stopped supporting the Ultra a short time after I bought one. That was a lot of money to spend and as bad luck would have it, I bought mine not long before the 2 came out. I figured with this unit that I was getting in at the beginning so the experience would be different.

It looks like they may have finally built a new version of the firmware that might be stable enough to move up to it. I watched all of the complaints and reported bugs on all of them so far and decided it was not stable enough to move up to. Once this version 3 goes to a full release, I will update to that.

I did see some posts that lead me to believe that if I play around with my Kemper a bit that I may be able to get it to do what I bought the FM9 to do. I need to test that out. If it works, I may just sell the FM9 and not look back. I much prefer the sound and feel of the amps in the Kemper over the FM9.

Open your wallets to "stay on top."

I totally disagree. You don't need to spend money to be on top. EVH played with a POS broken up guitar and with his amp plugged in to the wrong socket and still remains "on top" even in death. An artist doesn't need a new paint brush to paint a masterpiece. He just needs to practice a lot. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Man... I've received a message after one year on the waitlist to confirm my fm9 order. The new price seems to be 2349.- Euros...8|. I have to think...

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Man... I've received a message after one year on the waitlist to confirm my fm9 order. The new price seems to be 2349.- Euros...8|. I have to think...

The cost of the turbo model is $100 USD higher than the original was. It seems there is a lot of added expense to get them over there to you.

• I'm still having flashbacks from seeing Dweezil Zappa play a great show, with an amazing band and a tone that sounded like a first generation Line6 product. I was really disappointed, especially after reading several gear rundowns and other stuff where he's going on about Fractal. The rest of the instruments and the voices sounded amazing. I can't see a slightly faster processor fixing that.

Fractal units are perfectly capable of producing tones as good as anything out there.

It seems you just didn’t enjoy the way he had it dialed in. It’s not a hardware issue.

• Fractal units are perfectly capable of producing tones as good as anything out there.

It seems you just didn’t enjoy the way he had it dialed in. It’s not a hardware issue.

I thought he was a paid endorser for them, so I had high expectations of his sound. Plus this was not many years ago, so he had been a Fractal guy for years by this point. Every instrument and voice was perfect except for the guitar, which sounded weak and strange. His playing was fantastic though. I guess I'll buy that he wanted it to sound like that. Some people add ketchup to ice cream.

• I thought he was a paid endorser for them, so I had high expectations of his sound. Plus this was not many years ago, so he had been a Fractal guy for years by this point. Every instrument and voice was perfect except for the guitar, which sounded weak and strange. His playing was fantastic though. I guess I'll buy that he wanted it to sound like that. Some people add ketchup to ice cream.

It may also have been the FOH guy screwing it up. I wonder if Dweezil was going direct and using a FRFR, or using a real cab and micing that, or going direct but monitoring with a real cab…