Harmonica Content...!

• Hi folks. Was trying to impress my harmonica playing mate with the available range of Rigs for Kemper, and he asked if I had a Marble Max profile, which, of course, I couldn't find.

We're probably going to profile his next time we get together, but wondered if anyone had profiled harmonica amps like the Marble Max?

• I've recorded through a Dumble Profile and a Fender Princeton. Used a SM57 and a Bullet Mic with the Octaver.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can’t say I’ve heard of it ..but my harmonica playing mate was blown away by how quick I got him an awesome sound using an old Bassman with a tape echo and a spring reverb :)

Thanks - yes, he's putting together requests already...Princeton 65 top of his list currently - will be interesting to see where he ends up with it.

• I've recorded through a Dumble Profile and a Fender Princeton. Used a SM57 and a Bullet Mic with the Octaver.

Love Haulin' and High Beam particularly. All good!

• and a quick google suggests that the Max is based on a Fender Champ of which there are many in profile land :)

Thanks again, yes, he used to have a Champ but switched to the Marble Max, so I was interested in A/Bing, if anyone had a profile for it. Both to see if there is any discernible difference and to see if he gets himself a Kemper...

• Here's a harp through a Champ with a little pitch pedal fuckery.

• Just uploaded some of my harmonica-rigs in the exchange, check the recent ones under author "Masco Sound System".

Kalamazoo Model II, Premier Twin 8, Masco MU-5 and Masco MAP15 (actually a Masco made and sold under SS Steward brand).

Stars indicate level of gain with a Shure 545 dynamic Hi-Z mic: One star is on the edge between clean and breakup where you let your dynamics determine level of break-up. Three stars is Full Retard but do-able without feedback. Input Clean Sense on -12 dB.

If you want to EQ, I suggest you start with the studio EQ first in the chain: want more bass? Feed it more bass from the mic. Plate Reverb on all Rigs just because Kemper can.

• Other really usefull profiles: TopJimi Bassman and Super Reverb on the (for guitar) clean gain settings.

Again, to make it work for harp with a Hi-Z mic: dail back clean sense to -10 / -12 dB (check the input clipping light) and use an EQ first in the chain (like a guitarplayer would use the pots on his guitar)

• Hi folks. Was trying to impress my harmonica playing mate with the available range of Rigs for Kemper, and he asked if I had a Marble Max profile, which, of course, I couldn't find.

We're probably going to profile his next time we get together, but wondered if anyone had profiled harmonica amps like the Marble Max?

Oh, and another thing about "harmonica-amps". A lot of designated harmonica amps are so because they incorporate low-gain pre-amps (tube swaps to 12AT7 and lower), lower capacity rectifiers for more "sag", bigger coupling caps for more low-end and voiced tone-stacks. Basically adapting guitar tube-amps to work with feedback-prone microphones and a bass-deprived, mid-heavy instrument at usable stage volume.

The thing is: you can do all that with the Kemper (EQ possibilies in 4 stages, independent definition, gain, sag amp settings, completely neutral volume control without altering "tone")

I'm in no way trying to sh*t on specialized harmonica amps: I have played them, I know some builders and they sound amazing on stage, You just have to think about what problem you are trying to solve with such an amp compared to going with a completely different concept like Kemper. From the moment I got passed the fact that you are listening to your honest FOH/mic'ed Cab sound and feedback was no issue anymore with a simple FRFR active wedge in front of me, the need for "harp"-amps kinda disappeared. Just my $0,02...

Edited 3 times, last by MascoSoundSystem: Reading this again I think I forgot to make the final point: Why profile an amp which is a compromise to be played on a system that does not not need that compromise to begin with? Like you found out giving your harp-player buddy a great sound just tweaking a Bassman profile on the fly. ().

• Recommendation on some real nice profiles usable for "electrified" harmonica:

Daniel McLaughlin, '65 Kalamazoo Two. Especially Clean 2, Clean 3 an Crunch 1 profiled with Shure 57 are dead on right out of the box (or zip-file...)

I replaced my own profiles of the same amp with these.

He also has a 6" Fender Champ which creates an interesting compression on all gain-settings.

Check them out, available on his website.